Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guide To Fitting Rear Parking Sensors Focus Mk2.5
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club > Ford Focus Guides
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Preee

The Mk3 with Park Assist , yes also has front parking sensors , If you select reverse , the front automatically come on as well and remain on for a set ammount of time after you take it out of reverse , and yes they are very handy to have.

Only difference with fitting the Front to the rear, would be no guide holes i guess , but fitting it via a switch would allow you to use them when required.

sonic113
Thanks Paul. I will order the rear set with display and use your guide to install first. Then later on in time I might order a basic set with the buzzer for the front and add a switch to them but only if I really need them. I will see how I get on with the reverse ones first.
Thanks again.
sonic113
OK just ordered the sensors from eBay. I got the cisbo rear led display ones in silver. Hopefully they will be as good of color match as the ones in preees guide my focus is moondust silver so fingers crossed. Hate the thought of drilling a perfect bumper but hopefully all goes well. Should be here by mid week so I'm counting down low! Any one with the silver focus in 5 door have scuff plates that blend in with color or can recommend any cheap but decent ones? I was thinking they wud be a good option especially with the kids jumping in and out.
Stoney871

Look for Richbrook ones on eBay.

I have stainless ones on mine and they look smart.

sonic113
Thanks for reply Clive. I will look out for them. Have you any pictures of them on your focus?
Stoney871
I'll chuck a couple up when I'm at my PC.
Stoney871

[URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/stoney871/media/04022012133.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/stoney871/media/04022012136.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/stoney871/media/DSC_0234.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/stoney871/media/DSC_0244.jpg.html][/URL]

sonic113
Cheers for pics Clive. Yeah they look tidy and blend well. I will pick a set up in the coming weeks. Have you modified much on your focus?
Stoney871
If you look at my signature picture you'll see a list of my mods so far.
sonic113
I was thinking of wiring the sensors in to car using the electrical blocks that be used in the house for ceiling lights as my soldering iron is broke and I'm not a big fan of the scotch locks as some tend to come loose over time and don't connect The best with fine wires. Would these blocks be OK to use if connected and taped up?
GSM

I was thinking of wiring the sensors in to car using the electrical blocks that be used in the house for ceiling lights as my soldering iron is broke and I'm not a big fan of the scotch locks as some tend to come loose over time and don't connect The best with fine wires. Would these blocks be OK to use if connected and taped up?

My recommendation for in-car wiring is a crimping tool with connectors. No skill required and not messy or dangerous (as with soldering), not unreliable like scotch locks.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/crimp-tool-and-connectors-set-44094

sonic113
OK my sensors arrived today and I'm think they look good. Everything seems OK upon a test setup before I install only problem was the color profile on display is yellow and red and I really wanted the green yellow and red but upon contacting seller they said they only have the yellow red profiles and they can't control the color of the displays it the manufacturer that changes them from time to time.

So upon that little bump I think I might keep the yellow red display as returning would mean paying postage for the sake of 2 green LEDs in display. On a positive the sensor color is spot on for moondust silver focus. One thing though I got 4 washer looking rings maybe for angle adjustment not sure what these are. Does anyone know what they are and do I need them on the focus bumper? I can't recall prees guide mentioning these. Also preees has listed a inline fuse but the sensor power lead just has red /black wire with no fuse. Do I just wire directly to reverse power and negative then with no fuse needed? I don't recall pree mentioning a fuse in the wiring section of the guide but I think he lists it at the start in a contents section.
jeebowhite

It is the angle adjustment, I put them on mine and then rotated them until I got a flat 90 degree finish on the sensor.

As for the wiring - yup, just connect the positive to the reverse wire, and the negative to the earth point in the corner of the boot nearest the lights. I dont have a fuse on mine either, but the power it draws is minimal and very few of the cheaper kits have the fuse. You can wire an inline fuse if you wish, but IMHO its unnecessary :)

I would suggest get yourself some BUTT connectors, put the cables in each end and then crimp. Job done!

sonic113
Thanks for reply James. Do you have any links to the connectors I need? I was looking at a crimping set from halfords today but wasn't sure if the connectors that came with it where Gona do my job
Preee

I fit an inline fuse to everything electrical i fit , habit i guess. As Jeebo stated the rings are for angles if the bumper was curved , i never used them.

sonic113
Should I fit a fuse in the live of the sensors then? Is it a nessary thing to do and if so what size of fuse is needed?

Also where do the angle adjustment rings go? Is it outside bumper behind the sensor or inside of bumper at back of sensor? I don't think I will use these as pree said he never used them and sensors were reliable enough. I think they are maybe for more curved or ridged bumpers where the sensor won't sit flush enough on bumper but maybe I'm wrong.

Also one more thing, I haven't got any butt connectors and want to install this today i have scotch locks but dont think they would be secure enough to last so would those block connector be as good and safe to use as anything? and as they will be hidden you won't see them also so I suppose that's a plus.
GSM

Should I fit a fuse in the live of the sensors then? Is it a nessary thing to do and if so what size of fuse is needed?

Also where do the angle adjustment rings go? Is it outside bumper behind the sensor or inside of bumper at back of sensor? I don't think I will use these as pree said he never used them and sensors were reliable enough. I think they are maybe for more curved or ridged bumpers where the sensor won't sit flush enough on bumper but maybe I'm wrong.

Also one more thing, I haven't got any butt connectors and want to install this today i have scotch locks but dont think they would be secure enough to last so would those block connector be as good and safe to use as anything? and as they will be hidden you won't see them also so I suppose that's a plus.

You don't need a fuse... they barely draw any power at all, nowhere near a significant amount compared to what the rear parking light draws anyway. So any fuse that comes for the rear parking light already will be sufficient (I don't think there is any...), no need to add extra fuses.

The angle rings go between the bumper and the sensor on the outside, but I didn't use them on my Focus ... the Focus rear bumper is already pretty flat.

Block connectors should be fine. Don't use Scotch Locks.

sonic113
Change of plan I'm heading to halfords to get butt connectors and crimping kit. No point in half doing a job so I will keep you's updated on my progress.
Cheers.
sonic113
got holes drilled out tonight and thats about it. crashed on sofa after tea then fell asleep. so who will finish first thing tomorrow. so far though all going well.
jeebowhite

that really is the hardest part of the job, taking a drill to your bumper! the rest is easy to work around!

sonic113
OK guys, I know this sounds stupid but I just need to make sure I'm doing this right. First time using a crimping set so bare with me lol! Do I make a cut in the reverse live then on top end of butt connector insert the sensors red live alongside one end of reverse live then on other end of butt connector insert the remaining part reverse live? So in summary you have two wires (1 pt of reverse live and red live from sensors) going into butt connector on one side and going out on the other side just one wire (2nd half of reverse live). Once again sorry for sounding dumb but I'm used to just cutting and soldering but my iron is broke so gonna try crimping the electrics now on. (If all goes well lol!)
GSM

OK guys, I know this sounds stupid but I just need to make sure I'm doing this right. First time using a crimping set so bare with me lol! Do I make a cut in the reverse live then on top end of butt connector insert the sensors red live alongside one end of reverse live then on other end of butt connector insert the remaining part reverse live? So in summary you have two wires (1 pt of reverse live and red live from sensors) going into butt connector on one side and going out on the other side just one wire (2nd half of reverse live). Once again sorry for sounding dumb but I'm used to just cutting and soldering but my iron is broke so gonna try crimping the electrics now on. (If all goes well lol!)

Yeah that's right. You can get small triangular connectors that take 3 inputs, so if you have one of those in your set you could use that instead.

Otherwise, yes, cut the live to the reverse light, put one bit of the cut wire in one end, and put the other bit + the parking sensor live wire into the other.

jeebowhite

Agreed, just put two positives in one end, and the continuing wire in the other, then crimp well.

Once you have done this, then just put the negative to the earth bolt and thats it :)

sonic113
Thanks for replys. I got them installed and all works great. I drilled extra 4/5 holes behind bumper on plastic part attached to underbody and cable tied the sensor loom to it to keep all neat. Mine had a wired display so I ran the wire across the roof of car to the rear view mirror (my choice of location) and I'm very happy. I have included some pictures from the installation to show what I mean. The crimped wires turned out well and I will use this method from now on as i find it fast secure but tidy so thanks to garrie for recommending it. What does every one think of the finished product?
Stoney871
Tidy install there.
Well done indeed.
Preee
Nice work sonic
sonic113
Thanks guys,
thats my first mod to the focus so looking to see what else I can do. Also when I what to ask a question or start a topic where do I post messages? I don't want to keep posting stuff here in this section as it probably won't be related to parking sensors anymore since I have finished with them.
Stoney871
If you need to start a new topic, as long as it's in the correct section fill yer boots mate.
Hyrule

I'm stuck on wiring the LCD into the courtesy light positive feed. No idea which of these two cables is the positive:

20131007_181808_zpscdb3d567.jpg

20131007_181918_zps8451bfaa.jpg

Captain Haddock

Ben,

Providing your car is a Mk2/Mk2.5 Focus then the following is correct :-

•    Black/Blue = Permanent Ground (-ve).
  •  Black/Yellow = Ground from PJB trigged by door switches or door modules.
  •   Orange/Blue = +ve 12v from battery saver relay (fed from fuse F104 10A),
                    i.e. there will be no voltage after the basttery saver timeout period has expired.

Carlos-fandango

Great Guide Preee,

This was my first modification, and having your guide made it a 20 minute job, much faster than when I installed them to the Galaxy. no need to mark up or even remove the bumper. that was so easy. the only thing i have found is my car is Avalon in colour, they don't make them in this colour as standard so brought silver ones. don't look too bad but i'm thinking of re-painting them, any suggestions on hows the best way of going about that?

Hyrule

Great Guide Preee,

This was my first modification, and having your guide made it a 20 minute job, much faster than when I installed them to the Galaxy. no need to mark up or even remove the bumper. that was so easy. the only thing i have found is my car is Avalon in colour, they don't make them in this colour as standard so brought silver ones. don't look too bad but i'm thinking of re-painting them, any suggestions on hows the best way of going about that?

I had the same issue with mine. Bought sea grey coloured sensors. Couldn't me more unlike Sea Grey if they tried.

Spraying them is simple, get a Ford Colour Coded spray paint for your car and follow the great advice I got from Pree & Dezwez:

When you spray the sensors drill four holes in some cardboard, push the sensors into the cardboard, and lightly spray a couple of coats let it dry and then a light coat of laquer , don't over do it, spray from above , as you want to avoid, getting any paint inside of the gap of the sensors. 

I personally let the paint harden for a week, before I washed it, and they've turned out quite nice.

Preee

Hi Carlos

As Hyrule has stated it's easy to spray them , you just have to mist the spray over them in at lease two coats letting it dry between coats. too much spray will stop the sensors from working properly so avoid getting paint inside the sensor gap.

jeebowhite

to be honest a light sanding with wet - wet and dry (about 2000 grit) and then just prime them and spray them. as long as you dont layer too many coats on it that you block the signal then there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to spray it and jave it fully functional in the colour you want.

Damn, I typed this reply about 10 minutes after you sent the question and its taken me this long to press post! lol good to see the guys got in there first!

Carlos-fandango

Cheers for all the great advice, I will be painting them just need to build up the nerve to attack them.

I cant seem to find a step by step guide for painting them, just really worried that I will make them useless by over doing it.

cheers again for all your help guys

Hyrule

Cheers for all the great advice, I will be painting them just need to build up the nerve to attack them.

I cant seem to find a step by step guide for painting them, just really worried that I will make them useless by over doing it.

cheers again for all your help guys

I'll see if I can russle up a guide at some point but in the meantime I hope the below helps.

Ah don't worry I was thinking the same thing but its surprisingly easy. Ideally do it on a non windy day, which judging by the last couple of days weather might be a harder than it sounds. :D

Firstly grab some gloves you don't mind getting paint on. If you bought the sensor that Pree has in his guide, then grab the drill tool that comes supplied.

Get some cardboard, use the drill tool to mark holes in the cardboard. With a bit of pressure you can cut through the cardboard with the drill tool to make an accurate sized hole. Try to make the hole(s) near to the edge of the cardboard, say 3-4cm from the edge. Then take some scissors and cut a straight horizontal line towards the hole you made with the drill tool. This is to feed the sensor towards the hole and allow the cable to fit through.

Push the sensor into the hole, pulling gently at the back for a snug fit. Take your spray can and holding it facing downwards towards the sensor, lightly spray a coat. Then wait 10-15mins

Then spray another coat. Then wait 10-15mins

Then spray the lacquer clear coat.

Repeat for the remaining sensors.

I let the paint harden for a week before I washed the car again.

If you find some paint has found its way into the grooves, don't panic, you can use a pin to go around in a circular motion to remove any excess paint. I have some paint which worked its way into the grooves on mine, but it hasn't affected the ultrasonics in anyway and I didn't bother to remove it as its hardly noticeable.

Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Brijohng56
HELP, hi, I brought a set of flush fitting reversing sensors for my facelift focus convertible 58 plate, but when I open the box there was no hole saw, no problem really because I got quite a few different size ones, But the instruction state I should use a cutter first to cut a recess in the bumper & then use a hole saw to drill the hole, only problem is, I don't have a cutter for that first cut, does anybody know where I might get one, Thanks Brian.
theduke
Just push a guide hole/recess with a screwdriver its in the guide i think

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Ford OC mobile app
Brijohng56
Hi, thanks for reply, but you lost me with your reply, what this about a screwdriver, & what guide would I be looking for, sorry if this seem a bit lame, but new to this sort of thing. Thanks Brian
theduke

on the first post on this thread theres a pdf file telling you everything you need to know

Brijohng56
Hi thanks for info, but this file only shows using a normal hole saw to cut the hole in the bumper, but the sensors I have from xvision are flush fitting & need a small recess cut in the face of the bumper & then using a smaller hole saw, you cut the main hole thus allowing the sensor to fit flush with the bumper face, if you get my meaning, will try & photo the instruction sheet to show what I mean. Ta
Preee

Hi thanks for info, but this file only shows using a normal hole saw to cut the hole in the bumper, but the sensors I have from xvision are flush fitting & need a small recess cut in the face of the bumper & then using a smaller hole saw, you cut the main hole thus allowing the sensor to fit flush with the bumper face, if you get my meaning, will try & photo the instruction sheet to show what I mean. Ta

I would complain and get them to send you the correct drill , rather than take a risk of messing up your bumper.

ally67

brilliant guide and the little rubber grommet in the boot is also in the 2009 C Max boot ;) Can't see if the circles on the bumper are there or not yet will have a closer look tomorrow. 

jeebowhite

For anyone who cares to know, on the Mondeo MK4, you have more of a plastic / rubber combination grommet, I drilled a hole through this grommet and find the lines through.

Also a word of advice, if you have a diffuser with gaps as is on the Mondeo MK4, get yourself some silicone sealant, rub the sillicone sealant into the channel where you are going to run the wires, hold the wires against this for a few minutes as it dries, and then as it becomes tacky leave it alone for a few hours.

Then, when done, go back and apply sillicone sealant over the top of the wires and do the same.

I did this and it secured the wires nicely out of the way and works really well :) this can be done with any bumper, as long as you can wipe down and clean most of the underside where you are applying the wires to.

coolhands

Hi I used your guide and bought the same sensors from your link cheers. However I fitted to a 2009 (mk 2.5?) ford focus estate. I couldn't find any pictures anywhere, so here are some to help anyone else searching. So this is for fitting reversing sensors to a mk 2.5 ford focus estate where you have to remove the rear bumper. When searching I couldn't find any pictures of how to remove ford focus estate rear bumper.

I also found it difficult to ascertain for certain where to drill but as you can see the centre two do indeed go through the lower part of the bumper (black plastic) - there are two symbols there to indicate where to drill. I found many pics on the net where people had drilled them much higher which is incorrect. ALso the unit can be fitted to the right of the spongey thing behind the side cover - there is a flat bit where it fits nicely as you can see in the pic.

On this pdf you can download it if you click on 'file' (top left) and then 'download' it is in google drive, it has other relevant pictures.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By1Ta_ZiOUyNeVVxcmR1OURReXc/edit?usp=sharing

a10.jpg

a12.jpg

Dee_82

Cheers, mate, perfect guide, have to say hacking four holes in to the rear bumper got the heart going for a min but after the first one went in perfect it was a doddle and exactly as you described, only difference was I didn't need to remove the full plastic side panel, just loosened it up and was able to remove the side fabric panel without any bother, may have even found a couple of the annoying noises I keep hearing,

Found something intresting though, seemed the previous owner may have had something on previously as there was some evidence of wiring running about and spliced wires, curious to what it was because it looked like the break lights / indicators and tail lights were all tapped in to at some point... anywho  rear sensors work a treat and look the business, £16 well spent.

jeebowhite

I suspect with that description of tapping in, they had a towbar and an electrics relay for the trailer.

Dee_82

aye, it must have been, would have been nice if they bothered to tape up the exposed wires though

jeebowhite

did they solder them in? you could just remove the exposed wires, and the best thing I could recommend is to get some emalgamating tape and just wrap the exposed part of the wire in it.

Dee_82

yeah, I tapped them up, blind luck it didn't start shorting out on things as they weren't secured in any way, think ill check the other side out too, maybe look for more noises whilst im there and pop in a spare 12v socket for good measure. 

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.