Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Wheel Bearing?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
grandtrousers
Sorry if this has been covered before but I could not find any information in the search link.
I am noticing a "grumbling/grating" noise coming from the rear of my 2000 (year) 2.0 litre petrol saloon which has just done 33000 miles. It's not me or any passengers so I am looking at replacing the rear wheel bearings. I see from google searches that there was a recall for this which involved replacing the bearings and putting a "shield" in to protect the bearing from the ingress of water and dirt.
I know my car is out of warranty but has anyone had this recall done? Is it worth contacting my local Ford dealer to see if it can still be done?
I am fairly competent at repairs but I understand the bearings need pressing out, I don't have a press and to be honest its bloody freezing outside at present so I have been looking at prices of bearing kits which vary massively and having the work done at a local garage. I can't see any kits that seem to have the "shield mod", does anyone know of any reasonable cheap kits?
I will get both sides done and have the rear pads replaced at the same time.

Thanks on advance for any info/advice
stef123
[quote name='grandtrousers' timestamp='1328796733' post='165655']
Sorry if this has been covered before but I could not find any information in the search link.
I am noticing a "grumbling/grating" noise coming from the rear of my 2000 (year) 2.0 litre petrol saloon which has just done 33000 miles. It's not me or any passengers so I am looking at replacing the rear wheel bearings. I see from google searches that there was a recall for this which involved replacing the bearings and putting a "shield" in to protect the bearing from the ingress of water and dirt.
I know my car is out of warranty but has anyone had this recall done? Is it worth contacting my local Ford dealer to see if it can still be done?
I am fairly competent at repairs but I understand the bearings need pressing out, I don't have a press and to be honest its bloody freezing outside at present so I have been looking at prices of bearing kits which vary massively and having the work done at a local garage. I can't see any kits that seem to have the "shield mod", does anyone know of any reasonable cheap kits?
I will get both sides done and have the rear pads replaced at the same time.

Thanks on advance for any info/advice
[/quote]

I have changed numerous focus rear bearings. The shield you are talking about is available from ford, its only a couple of quid. the shield fits behind the ABS ring. IIRC some stub axles (presumably the revised ones) have a rubber seal as part of them which fits inside the metal shield. So i guess you will need the new stub axles if you want the shield to work.

see this link for the type with the rubber seal that fits into the shield.. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Rear-Stub-Axle-1998-2005-/360175949246?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53dc28d5be#ht_965wt_1169"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Rear-Stub-Axle-1998-2005-/360175949246?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53dc28d5be#ht_965wt_1169[/url]

and this link for the type without.. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Rear-Stub-Axle-1998-2001-/360176674458?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53dc33e69a#ht_965wt_1169"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Rear-Stub-Axle-1998-2001-/360176674458?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53dc33e69a#ht_965wt_1169[/url]
Schuey
HI,

I had the same issue with my 2000 Focus 2.0 16v.

I bought the cover alone from Foed, and a magnetic ring, then I had to do the same to the other side, however there is a place near us that do the bearing and the magnetic ring etc for approx £30. The place I went to is Central Auto Supplies, places in Kettering, Corby, Wellingborough etc, good quailty bearing as well, I did fit some poor quality units but they didn't seem too good.

Another thing as you say is pressing them out, I tried, couldn't do it but gave a local independent garage £15 and he pressed bearings in and out for both hubs.

Be careful not to leave it to long before doing as the bearing will fail, mine did very rapidly, say 2 weeks, lots of wheel wobble and the abs sensot which is fixed throughthe back was damaged, it is a magnet but connected electrically and cost approx £120 from Ford, Ford part only, you can buy copy parts for approx £30 but do not know if it will work with the system, so bought one from a breakers for £1.00.

Any others queries, just ask.

Thanks
Schuey
That will be Focus not a DOcus, maybe a new model name!!
jeebowhite
sounds likely to be bearing related, however you can get them replaced for £35 from the dealer (someone just got this done, there is a thread somewhere that I have only just replied in....)
grandtrousers
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1328808497' post='165721']
sounds likely to be bearing related, however you can get them replaced for £35 from the dealer (someone just got this done, there is a thread somewhere that I have only just replied in....)
[/quote]

Is that £35 including parts and labour per side including vat?
If its gonna cost me £70 all in then its off to the dealer!
(my last job in the car industry was with Ford :rolleyes: )

Thanks everyone for the help so far - very much appreciated
grandtrousers
Update: on 09/02/12 I managed to get two rear wheel bearing kits (including shields) for £48.00. Then drove directly to a local garage with a good reputation and agreed a price (£50.00) for them to fit both bearings and the new rear brake pads I had purchased and so booked it in for the repairs to be done on 15/02/12.
As soon as I set off from the garage to go home (a distance of just under one mile) I heard a "clattering" noise from the rear and the ABS warning light coming on - DOH!!! :angry:
stef123
I dont know how effective these shields without the stub axles with O ring type seals in them. The O ring fits snug inside the shield.. seems otherwise pointless to me
grandtrousers
Well I had the parts fitted (and a new ABS sensor). Now the ABS pump kicks in when I brake after driving a very short distance followed by the ABS and traction control lights - ARGH!!!!!!

Full Colour Version: Rear Wheel Bearing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615