Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could This Be The Leak? (New Clutch Slip)
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Pages: 1, 2
johnS
Hello,

Starting a new thread as the other one got quite messy. I have taken a video so I can look underneath without sticking my head under, i've found some damp spot on what I think is the clutch bell housing. Is this what could cause a clutch slip due to oil cotamination? (The image is upside down because I had my phone upside down when I took the video. The picture is attached
dezwez
i dont think so you often get damp looking patchs like that on the bell houseing off the road
if the clutch is sliping i say its worn out .
johnS
[quote name='dezwez' timestamp='1329237036' post='166649']
i dont think so you often get damp looking patchs like that on the bell houseing off the road
if the clutch is sliping i say its worn out .
[/quote]

The car hadnt been taken out that day I took the picture. And it's not worn out, theres only like 2000mi on it
dezwez
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1329237226' post='166650']
The car hadnt been taken out that day I took the picture. And it's not worn out, theres only like 2000mi on it
[/quote] in that case it may need bleeding if you take a look at that damp mark in a few days without
the car moving i bet they will still be there iv had same marks on mine and i did my clucth renewed about 3 months
ago
johnS
[quote name='dezwez' timestamp='1329240552' post='166669']
in that case it may need bleeding if you take a look at that damp mark in a few days without
the car moving i bet they will still be there iv had same marks on mine and i did my clucth renewed about 3 months
ago
[/quote]

I dont know what could be causing it to slip then. Any ideas?
artscot79
is the brake fluid going down? if its a leak from the slave cylinder ide expect more oil than that not saying its not oil have a smell youll tell if its oil if the clutch is slipping you need to get it looked at i know you say it will cost but something clearly isnt right is the pedal spongy
sjwred
A possible idea,Inside the car drivers side,is the clutch pedal damp,feel the pedal arm,that's where the clutch master cylinder is ,they are prone to leaking and needs to be replaced.
johnS
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1329247882' post='166685']
is the brake fluid going down? if its a leak from the slave cylinder ide expect more oil than that not saying its not oil have a smell youll tell if its oil if the clutch is slipping you need to get it looked at i know you say it will cost but something clearly isnt right is the pedal spongy
[/quote]

thanks, the pedal doesnt really feel spongy at all. I dont think the brake fluid is going down, i'll do what the above post says to check if the pedal arm is damp tommorow
artscot79
if all else fails then it must be needing bled a bit
johnS
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1329254782' post='166722']
if all else fails then it must be needing bled a bit
[/quote]

thanks :( i'm running out of things it could be? Are we definatly sure it's not a non-resurfaced flywheel causing this?
ajt
Is the clutch pedal fully returning, i.e cant lift it anymore with your toe after depressing it?
Stoney871
Just a silly thought but did they clean the protective coating off the clutch plate when they fitted it?
Could also be a damaged clutch fork or thrust bearing.
johnS
[quote name='ajt' timestamp='1329311702' post='166798']
Is the clutch pedal fully returning, i.e cant lift it anymore with your toe after depressing it?
[/quote]

yeah I think it fully returns

[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1329312776' post='166801']
Just a silly thought but did they clean the protective coating off the clutch plate when they fitted it?
Could also be a damaged clutch fork or thrust bearing.
[/quote]

I have no idea. The clutch did feel pretty nice when I first got it back, then it has just degraded I think. So I would think if they did not clean the protective coating off, it would have slipped all the time.

Also, what symptoms would I get from a damaged clutch fork or thrust bearing? I dont know if this is related but just after starting the car if I push the clutch pedal in the RPMs rise a bit, if I release the pedal the rpms go back down a bit

I checked the pedal arm today, apart from some black greese on the arm, theres no wet on it
johnS
anyone?
johnS
Anyone any idea on what they do on a clutch investigation
NorthSussex
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1329237226' post='166650']
[/quote]
[color=#0000FF][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I assume that as you say there are only 2000 miles on it, you have had the clutch replaced recently; if that is the case, have you considered returning it [/font][/size][/color][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive] under warranty [/font][/size][/color][color=#0000FF][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]to the garage [/font][/size][/color][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive] [/font][/size][/color][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]that replaced the clutch?[/font][/size][/color]
johnS
[quote name='ndsussex' timestamp='1331053312' post='170994']
[color=#0000FF][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I assume that as you say there are only 2000 miles on it, you have had the clutch replaced recently; if that is the case, have you considered returning it [/font][/size][/color][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive] under warranty [/font][/size][/color][color=#0000FF][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]to the garage [/font][/size][/color][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive] [/font][/size][/color][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]that replaced the clutch?[/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

I have tried but it didnt slip when they tested it so they did nothing
NorthSussex
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#0000FF][size=5]Try again! and be a bit more insistent.[/size][/color][/font]
johnS
[quote name='ndsussex' timestamp='1331053744' post='170996']
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#0000FF][size=5]Try again! and be a bit more insistent.[/size][/color][/font]
[/quote]

They did say that they could replace etc under warranty but only if the parts have found to be faulty, they didnt say anything about thier work
NorthSussex
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1331053938' post='170999']

They did say that they could replace etc under warranty but only if the parts have found to be faulty, they didnt say anything about thier work
[/quote]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Parts and labour should be covered. Take a witness with you to confirm anything said. [/font][/size][/color]
johnS
[quote name='ndsussex' timestamp='1331054709' post='171003']
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Parts and labour should be covered. Take a witness with you to confirm anything said. [/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

They didnt seem to do it though, i'm thinking on taking it to Fords and getting them to replace AGAIN
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]You should stand up for your rights; don't let them get away with shoddy workmanship.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Why pay twice?[/font][/size][/color]
johnS
[quote name='ndsussex' timestamp='1331059735' post='171020']
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]You should stand up for your rights; don't let them get away with shoddy workmanship.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Why pay twice?[/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

I honestly dont think I have a leg to stand on, I can see paying again at the garage that did it again I might as well get it done better by Fords
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Sorry, I can't give you any more advice. Good luck.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ff0000][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Any body got any other sugestions?[/font][/size][/color]
johnS
[quote name='ndsussex' timestamp='1331062464' post='171023']
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Sorry, I can't give you any more advice. Good luck.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ff0000][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Any body got any other sugestions?[/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

I honestly dont know what could have caused this. I still dont know lol. I feel it could only happen to me lol
artscot79
sorry to say mate but clutches and timing belts i only ever get done at fords
johnS
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1331066490' post='171034']
sorry to say mate but clutches and timing belts i only ever get done at fords
[/quote]

I realise why now lol
johnS
BTW: I am a bit worried about spending £90 on an investigation, and them saying the clutch is fine as at the moment the slipping is very intermittent. It feels bad but if they say it's fine i'm really at a problem because I know it's not. Any ideas?
artscot79
youre just gonna have to bite the bullet and have it investigated ide rather pay the 90 than have to buy a new clutch later on
johnS
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1331114388' post='171091']
youre just gonna have to bite the bullet and have it investigated ide rather pay the 90 than have to buy a new clutch later on
[/quote]

I will most likely have to buy a new clutch anyway, though, wont I?
artscot79
not if somethings faulty even a leaking slave cylinder contaminates the clutch plate i had everything replaced
johnS
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1331120833' post='171103']
not if somethings faulty even a leaking slave cylinder contaminates the clutch plate i had everything replaced
[/quote]

hmm yeah, I wonder how they test the clutch. I hope they try everything to test it as it's very intermittent and they could say it's fine
flying clutchman
Hydraulic problems will not normally make the clutch slip. They will give the opposite symptoms i.e. clutch drag. The is no clutch fork fitted to cars with concentic slaves, that's the whole point of them. There's no short cut to this, the gearbox has to come out and the clutch checked out.
johnS
[quote name='flying clutchman' timestamp='1331142537' post='171197']
Hydraulic problems will not normally make the clutch slip. They will give the opposite symptoms i.e. clutch drag. The is no clutch fork fitted to cars with concentic slaves, that's the whole point of them. There's no short cut to this, the gearbox has to come out and the clutch checked out.
[/quote]

any ideas what it could be?
artscot79
weird since my leaking slave cylinder did make the clutch slip as the oil was on the plate
johnS
ive just been out testing it. I've found that it only does it even when I use minimal amount of pressure on the pedal (only in the pedal free play), with my foot off the pedal it doesnt do it. Is this a bleeding issue or what?
johnS
anyone?
Stoney871
Release bearings?
johnS
[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1331249906' post='171535']
Release bearings?
[/quote]

It could be those?
Stoney871
TBH it could be a multitude of things.
Best option is to have it checked at a good Independent garage just to be sure.
johnS
Thanks. I wonder what happens if I leave it though now ive found it wont slip with my foot off the pedal
NorthSussex
Quote.
Thanks. I wonder what happens if I leave it though now ive found it wont slip with my foot off the pedal

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Why would you want to rest your foot on the clutch pedal? Thats the fastest way to wear a clutch out. That may be why you had clutch problems in the first place.[/font][/size][/color]
johnS
Trust me. It wasnt that lol. I would have noticed it slipping and stopped straight away
NorthSussex
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1331288178' post='171579']
Trust me. It wasnt that lol. I would have noticed it slipping and stopped straight away
[/quote]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Sorry John, It just sounded like that.[/font][/size][/color]
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]John,[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Other thoughts on your clutch problems. [/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]1/ Have you had somebody else drive your car, and did they think there was a problem with the clutch?[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]2/ It may be that the biting point of the clutch needs adjusting so that it bites lower down.[/font][/size][/color]
johnS
hi, yes ive had another person drive the car includibg the mechanic who did it. All said it was fine but im not so sure. I did hear a noise when I started up today. Pressing in the clutch makes the noise go away and when I press the pedal in, it makkes a sort of spinning down sound
johnS
The noise is the throwout bearing isnt it?
NorthSussex
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1331294983' post='171595']
The noise is the throwout bearing isnt it?
[/quote]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]The noise you hear could be the thrust bearing; they all make a little noise when you disengage the clutch.[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I think that if two independent people have tried the clutch and they say it’s OK, and it’s OK providing you don’t rest your foot on the clutch, then you maybe worrying unnecessarily, get one other person to try the car to put your mind at rest, and if they say it’s OK, then it probably is.[/font][/size][/color]
johnS
taking it to fords on tuesday to get a second opinion, i may just leave it lol
NorthSussex
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1331301432' post='171612']
taking it to fords on tuesday to get a second opinion, i may just leave it lol
[/quote]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Good idea.[/font][/size][/color]

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.