Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Focus Idle Problem
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
craigdavis23
I recently bought a 1999 mk1 ford focus 1.6 zetec. The car revs sometimes go up and down and level out. Once it levels out it idles just a bit lower then it should and the the car judders. The car doesn't cut out and it drives lovely with no power loss. I've cleaned the iacv and also when I unplug the maf sensor the revs return to the correct idle and its fine until I plug it back in and the revs drop and the car judders. Could it be the idle air control valve or the mass air flow sensor.
Stoney871
I think you've found your own answer.
MAF.
Z3 MON
I agree with stoney, try cleaning the Maf sensor with carb cleaner and a soft brush. Be EXTREMLEY gentle as they break easy.

Dave
craigdavis23
I cleaned the Maf sensor and was still having the same problem. So I had a look around and found a collapsed air hose. I wiggled it a bit and the engine almost cut out so I've found the problem. Its located behind the inlet manifold and its shaped like a T. I think its called the pcv valve and the two hoses that connect to it and bend round into the engine are collapsed and one has a tiny split and is hissing. Any ideas where I can get the two hoses that connect to the valve from.
Matthew Blackledge
[quote name='Z3 MON' timestamp='1329300282' post='166772']
I agree with stoney, try cleaning the Maf sensor with carb cleaner and a soft brush. Be EXTREMLEY gentle as they break easy.

Dave
[/quote]

Never use carb cleaner. Only ever use electrical contact cleaner. The carb cleaner will eat at the platinum in the sensor.
TwitchIrl

I cleaned the Maf sensor and was still having the same problem. So I had a look around and found a collapsed air hose. I wiggled it a bit and the engine almost cut out so I've found the problem. Its located behind the inlet manifold and its shaped like a T. I think its called the pcv valve and the two hoses that connect to it and bend round into the engine are collapsed and one has a tiny split and is hissing. Any ideas where I can get the two hoses that connect to the valve from.

Thank you! After some searching on google to find a diagnosis to this problem I found this thread. This is exactly what is wrong with mine and after a month of dealing with this I will be changing out these hoses in the morning! Both hoses going into that T on mine are worn out and need to be replaced.

Full Colour Version: Ford Focus Idle Problem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.