Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guide For Removal, Priming, Painting And Refitting Of Bonnet Lip!
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club > Ford Focus Guides
TDCiST
Hello guys please find attached the guide for all your bonnet lip needs!!

This guide will also help those who want to Vinyl Wrap the lip, just ignore the painting bit!

Hope it helps

Dave
Lenny
[quote name='TDCiST' timestamp='1329433757' post='167159']
Hello guys please find attached the guide for all your bonnet lip needs!!

This guide will also help those who want to Vinyl Wrap the lip, just ignore the painting bit!

Hope it helps

Dave
[/quote]

Very Nice job Dave,
i will use this guide myself in the future to carbon wrap the bonnet lip. i also like the way you mosaqued the reg plates to your advantage B)
salsheikh
Thanks Dave, brilliant guide.
Preee
Dave
A great guide and well put together :)
Paddy H
Just thought id thank you for this before i head out to get the goods!
TDCiST
Cheers Paddy!!

Just be very careful with the sticky stuff!! and watch for breaking clips!

If your gentle and patient you'll be fine!!
gc88
Hi Dave!

Thanks for this guide - looks awesome and makes it look easy!

I'm gonna use this to do my two fog light surrounds!

I have a few questions though, having never done this before!!

For the 2 surrounds, how much spray / laquer will i need? 1 x 300ml can? (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_181797_langId_-1_categoryId_165505)

Also, before i annoy the misses (again!!) - is this job suitable for the kitchen table or does the spray go EVERYWHERE?

Cheers again bud! :D
.Ryan
Thanks alot buddy, needed something like this before I wrap my bonnet lip, your a star mate :)
TDCiST
[quote name='gc88' timestamp='1341416849' post='191006']
Hi Dave!

Thanks for this guide - looks awesome and makes it look easy!

I'm gonna use this to do my two fog light surrounds!

I have a few questions though, having never done this before!!

For the 2 surrounds, how much spray / laquer will i need? 1 x 300ml can? ([url="http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_181797_langId_-1_categoryId_165505"]http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165505[/url])

Also, before i annoy the misses (again!!) - is this job suitable for the kitchen table or does the spray go EVERYWHERE?

Cheers again bud! :D
[/quote]

I'd get a 500ml can of primer, paint and Laquer... that should be plenty... you can always use whats left to colour code something else afterwards ;)

and do it outside or in your garage, (or if your lucky like me, in your work's workshop!!) as its not necessrily the spray that goes everywhere, but the smell!!

Where abouts in Herts are you mate??
TDCiST
[quote name='Rh1no' timestamp='1341488908' post='191287']
Thanks alot buddy, needed something like this before I wrap my bonnet lip, your a star mate :)
[/quote]

Thats ok mate!!

Glad its of help!! Just be so so so careful taking it off!! patience is the key here lol!
.Ryan
[quote name='TDCiST' timestamp='1341606040' post='191668']
Thats ok mate!!

Glad its of help!! Just be so so so careful taking it off!! patience is the key here lol!
[/quote]

In light of recent grill changing-bonnet no longer opening Focus upgrading, may leave this mod until next month :)
gc88
Thanks, that's awesome. Need to go halfords now!
gc88
I've started this today.

If anyone's wondering what it looks like with the strip off...

[IMG]http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w365/gavc88/IMAG0515.jpg[/IMG]

Photos on Saturday.
TDCiST
Looks better already ;) lol

Good luck!! Just take it nice and slow! And don't rush the laquer like I did!! I had to do mine again!!!
gc88
[quote name='TDCiST' timestamp='1342652161' post='194639']
Looks better already ;) lol

Good luck!! Just take it nice and slow! And don't rush the laquer like I did!! I had to do mine again!!!
[/quote]

It does look miles better!

I was debating cleaning the gunk off, filling the gaps and just leaving it like that.. it'll make the car lighter too!

I'm planning on leaving the primer to dry for 24 hours, then paint black, 24 hours, then laquer then wait about 72hours before fitting - should be ok shouldn't it?

Also, it'll probably look bollocks because of this...:
[IMG]http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w365/gavc88/chipinstrip.jpg[/IMG]

i've tried sanding it LOADS but it just isn't going down. I don't understand how it doesn't go away, but it doesnt! So it'll just have a small chip in the black! If it looks awful, there's replacements on the bay for £20..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110900408997?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOCUS-2008-2009-MK3-CHROME-BONNET-TRIM-LIP-MOULDING-ZETEC-SPORT-GHIA-1-8TDCI-/280743595965?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D716619456408255037%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1016%26rk%3D1%26
Oxide
How important is it to use a hairdryer or heat gun? I don't have access to anywhere where I can get a hairdyer out to my car as it's in the middle of a car park. Would it be possible to remove it without or would I just end up breaking it and need a new one?
Stoney871
You can remove it and heat is essential to stretch the wrap and make it stick properly.
Others here will advise on removal.
Oxide
I meant removing the lip itself without heat. I use a hairdryer when wrapping parts, because that I can do inside. The guide suggests using hairdryer or heat gun to remove the bonnet lip itself but I can't bring my car anywhere near a socket. So I was wondering how essential the hairdryer was to removing the bonnet lip or if I could try to remove the lip without using heat.
Stoney871
Ah I see.
Brigante
Oxide mate I would have thought you need to use heat when removing the lip to warm up/melt the adhesive to make it easier to prise off with the screwdriver. Same way when I de-badged, I had to heat up the adhesive with the Missus's hairdryer so I was able to cut through it with dental floss. If I hadn't of heated it, it would probably have been stuck on tight n not budged, or ended up ripping some of the paintwork off with it.

You may be able to just wedge a screwdriver behind the lip n very gently n carefully jimmy it off by slowly working the screwdriver up the back of it. But you may risk snapping it if they are fragile.

Got 3 options I suppose, 1) risk it n be very careful n gentle with screwdriver 2) if you have a spare 20quid, buy a new lip n just rip your existing one off 3) invest in a very long extension lead ;)
Oxide
Found a mate who lives locally with a garage that I can get into so I can actually get a hairdryer to my car. Hopefully getting this one done in the next few weeks.
Brigante
[quote name='Oxide' timestamp='1349739003' post='210357']
Found a mate who lives locally with a garage that I can get into so I can actually get a hairdryer to my car. Hopefully getting this one done in the next few weeks.
[/quote]

Ah fair play mate. Knew you'd find a way round it. Reckon you'll paint it or wrap it?
Oxide
I think paint, although wrapping it would then match my new badges.
Brigante
[quote name='Oxide' timestamp='1349856919' post='210600']
I think paint, although wrapping it would then match my new badges.
[/quote]

Would be more permanent to paint obviously so would be better to, but then it'll cost you about 30quid for the primer, paint, lacquer n sandpaper. You'll also have to drive round for 3 days with your bonnet looking minging lol.

But if you wrap it, it'll match your badges which will look sexy, n there's no need to wait 3 days for it to dry, just wrap it n whack it on your car. Plus if you've still got a strip of wrap left it'll cost you nothing n save 30quid over painting.

Do you reckon your confident enough to spray it mate?
TDCiST
sorry all,

missed the thread completely!!

Hairdryer is pretty essential, i wouldnt want to risk removal without it as its bloody sticky stuff!! looks like youve got it sorted now anyway!

Good luck mate!
.Ryan
Will be wrapping my lip very soon, what sticky pads will I need?
dt7
Rh1no - Are you going to post some pics of the wrapped lip when done? Could be very tempted to do this myself. Are you using black or a colour coded carbon effect wrap?
.Ryan
[quote name='dt7' timestamp='1351962552' post='215051']
Rh1no - Are you going to post some pics of the wrapped lip when done? Could be very tempted to do this myself. Are you using black or a colour coded carbon effect wrap?
[/quote]

I will do yea, when it's done I will get a couple of pics up. Using the black carbon wrap.
TDCiST
Will be doing this all over again soon with my Girlfriends car, although ill be wrapping hers instead... may also do mine again whilst I'm at it!
Brigante
If any wants to pay a small fee I could always carbon dip the bonnet lips
patrick-1020
Sorry to be a pain but I had a look at removing mine yesterday and I'm a bit confused do you heat it up to remove it from the lugs or do they pull off first? Really appreciate the help thanks
TDCiST

The lip is stuck on with two adhesive strips... (They are the stickiest thing ive ever encountered...) and also located with lugs, so you will need to heat it up to remove it. The lugs are attached to the lip and do not come off (Unless like me you break one!)

I found it easier to start one end, get to the middle, then start from the other side.

DavyBhoy
This thread has been a great help thought I was the only one having some small issues when trying to remove the bonnet strip but I see I'm not the only one thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app
TDCiST
You are definitely not alone! It's a nightmare! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app
DavyBhoy
Im gona try it with a hairdryer or heat gun like the guide says and see if it helps I was trying to do it with just a flat headed screwdriver but was too scared to keep goin incase it broke

TDCiST

Hairdryer will definitely help.  If you use a heatgun be careful not to get it too hot otherwise you'll bend it out of shape.

DavyBhoy
FINALLY! had a dry day after I finished work to be able to get a extension cable outside to use a hairdryer on this bonnet lip to get it off, absolute nightmare the two strips of sticky adhesive is like super glue easily took me an hour to safely remove without breaking or damaging anything(almost gave up half way through lol). I did it on my own but a second pair of hands definitely wouldn't of went a miss, easiest and quickest part about it was the vinyl wrapping which I thought would have been the worst considering I've never done it before but if a hadn't read this guide before hand to give me a better idea before I done it a reckon it would have been a disaster lol
I tried to put a few pictures to show but everything on the app has changed and wont let me I'll try later

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.