Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could This Noise Be Duff Wheel Bearing?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
smiffy
Hi all

I have a weird noise from the rear of my 2001 Focus Black edition.

It sounds like the brake shoes are rubbing on the drums. At low speed it sounds like a scraping noise and is heard once every wheel revolution. At higher speeds it disappears a bit but there is still a noise present.

I took off the back wheels and span the drums and they do sound noisy but i dont know if it is brake related or bearing noise.

About 2 weeks ago in the cold weather we had here in Dorset, whenever i applied the brakes from cold the rear wheels locked up!!! A few miles later they were ok.

I have always had strange things happening from the rear brakes on my Focus.......is it a known thing with them?

All help/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Simon
artscot79
sounds brake related to me usually in these circumstances i would take the drum off and check the brakes and the piston,it could be corrosion inside the drum or a sticky brake piston. the fact they locked and freed up would suggest the piston
smiffy
Thanks Artscot79. it does sound like brake shoes rubbing not a whine/groan like a bearing.

Can someone tell me the size of the socket i need for the rear hub nut? i have tried a 1 1/4(32mm) socket but it is too big. I know you can undo the 4 bolts at the rear but mine are pretty rusty and a bit rounded too :mellow:

thanks

Simon
jeebowhite
rear hub, I dont know why but 26 or 28mm rings a bell?
stef123
It's 30mm for the rear hub nut, 13mmfor the 4 rear bolts.
I think artscot is on the money here, sounds like the piston or shoes/adjuster
smiffy
Thanks for the replies.

Stef123 i think you are right with with 30mm. Took wheel off and measured the nut as well as i could it seems to be 30mm. i think a 29mm would fit too if you hammered it on tight.

Gonna buy a 30mm socket and have a look for myself........it's starting to really annoy me :angry:
rojariggs
It's hard to describe but a brake rubbing is a "rougher" sound than a bearing. From your description, brakes seems likely.
smiffy
I had a look at my rear brakes today. When i removed the drum the top shoe return spring was just loose in the drum, ie not connected to the shoes at all. I guess some how it had come off. I think this was the cause of the rubbing noise but i dont know yet as i ran out of time today and will test drive it tomorrow. Anyway, i had to disassemble the shoes to reattach the spring. Is it just me or is the handbrake cable a complete bit$h to reconnect? Luckily i had another pair of hands to help me. I dont think i could have connected it back up otherwise.

Is there a specific knack to do this or am i just weak/stupid? haha

It just seems a bit of a daft design. Do ford mechanics use a special tool?

By the way i used a 30mm socket to crack the hub nut.

Cheers

Simon
stef123
[quote name='smiffy' timestamp='1331415785' post='171941']
I had a look at my rear brakes today. When i removed the drum the top shoe return spring was just loose in the drum, ie not connected to the shoes at all. I guess some how it had come off. I think this was the cause of the rubbing noise but i dont know yet as i ran out of time today and will test drive it tomorrow. Anyway, i had to disassemble the shoes to reattach the spring. Is it just me or is the handbrake cable a complete bit$h to reconnect? Luckily i had another pair of hands to help me. I dont think i could have connected it back up otherwise.

Is there a specific knack to do this or am i just weak/stupid? haha

It just seems a bit of a daft design. Do ford mechanics use a special tool?

By the way i used a 30mm socket to crack the hub nut.

Cheers

Simon
[/quote]

did you loosen the handbrake cable at the adjuster first?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.