Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mk3 1.6 Tdci Poor First Gear
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Sara Fiesta
Hi Guys, Its been a month now with my new car, I've done 1100 miles and I'm finding the first gear very sluggish, it's seems you have to slip the clutch to get a fast get away otherwise it seems to lack power as if the turbo doesn't come on I thought it was because it was new but it hasn't improve much anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers,
Sara. :)
artscot79
with it being a 1.6 diesel i would imagine its down to how the gearing has been set up from the reviews it was a gripe about the car along with the gearbox and the fact it could do with 6 gears rather than 5
eddiestopa
I dont know why you have to do that sort of thing Sara. Mine is a 1.6 diesel, it is different to petrol but I am more used to the lack of power at 2nd gear pulling out of a roundabout. It is an enjoyable car to drive 100k+ miles later....
Sara Fiesta
Hi Guys, thanks for the comments, it's only 1st gear that seems lacking in power all the others pull great, 1st seems not to have much power like its being held back sort of??
tomo2001
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1331151134' post='171229']
with it being a 1.6 diesel i would imagine its down to how the gearing has been set up from the reviews it was a gripe about the car along with the gearbox and the fact it could do with 6 gears rather than 5
[/quote]

Gripe ? What Gripe ?? 1.6 TDCi is 6 speed, or at least mine certainly is.
tomo2001
[quote name='Sara Fiesta' timestamp='1331158222' post='171261']
Hi Guys, thanks for the comments, it's only 1st gear that seems lacking in power all the others pull great, 1st seems not to have much power like its being held back sort of??
[/quote]

Hi Sarah, can't say I have noticed the same issue. I have 18,000 miles on now and have no gearbox related concerns.
Sara Fiesta
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1331159822' post='171279']

Hi Sarah, can't say I have noticed the same issue. I have 18,000 miles on now and have no gearbox related concerns.
[/quote]

Could be me and to only having 1100 miles, just seems like you need to give 1st more accelerator to get moving? How you finding your mpg now mine about 44-45ish?
cuke
Hi, yes you need to have more mileage on the car however this is something that has been reported before with the 1.6 diesel engine in the Mk3, thus the advice given by Mk2-2.5 isn't really helpful as the engine is different. The 1.6 in the Mk2-2.5 is 16 valve and the one you have is 8.
Did you contact your dealer about the pump recall, you do really need too. On another forum there are also reports of a recall to have an exhaust blanking plate replaced on the 1.6's, apparently there is a possibility of exhaust gases leaking out.
Chris
Sara Fiesta
[quote name='cuke' timestamp='1331193117' post='171321']
Hi, yes you need to have more mileage on the car however this is something that has been reported before with the 1.6 diesel engine in the Mk3, thus the advice given by Mk2-2.5 isn't really helpful as the engine is different. The 1.6 in the Mk2-2.5 is 16 valve and the one you have is 8.
Did you contact your dealer about the pump recall, you do really need too. On another forum there are also reports of a recall to have an exhaust blanking plate replaced on the 1.6's, apparently there is a possibility of exhaust gases leaking out.
Chris
[/quote]

O that's interesting, recall I not received any letters regarding this? Can I just call my dealer and ask them to check if it's been done?
cuke
Hi Sarah, I'd contact them about both recalls if I was you..
Chris
Sara Fiesta
[quote name='cuke' timestamp='1331197625' post='171330']
Hi Sarah, I'd contact them about both recalls if I was you..
Chris
[/quote]

Ok I'll call them now.

Cheers,

Sara :)
cuke
Hi, lets us know how you get on. If the first dealer you ring says no recalls then you could try another for a second opinion..
Chris
tomo2001
[quote name='Sara Fiesta' timestamp='1331186432' post='171308']
Could be me and to only having 1100 miles, just seems like you need to give 1st more accelerator to get moving? How you finding your mpg now mine about 44-45ish?
[/quote]

My fuel computer was on 47.1 over approx 5000 miles but I reset it 750 miles ago and is now an indicated 52mpg. It was around 54 for a while but I have done some round town driving last couple of days. But I have drove it like a granny at times to achieve that.
tomo2001
[quote name='cuke' timestamp='1331193117' post='171321']
Chris
[/quote]

Would this normally be on Ford Etis ?
Sara Fiesta
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1331198325' post='171336']

My fuel computer was on 47.1 over approx 5000 miles but I reset it 750 miles ago and is now an indicated 52mpg. It was around 54 for a while but I have done some round town driving last couple of days. But I have drove it like a granny at times to achieve that.
[/quote]

Great news :-)
cuke
Hi, Ford have been sending out letters regarding the exhaust recall but I've not heard of it being on Etis. You will aways have to drive like a 'granny' to get a good fuel consumption. Although some granny's might find that offensive. I could get 50mpg out of my Mk4 Mondeo around town driving like that...
Chris
Sara Fiesta
[quote name='cuke' timestamp='1331197875' post='171333']
Hi, lets us know how you get on. If the first dealer you ring says no recalls then you could try another for a second opinion..
Chris
[/quote]

I called one dealer they said no recall on the records, the other dealer said yes just one that's the battery discharge when parked and it's a software upgrade, nothing on pump or exhaust.
mitch84
I thought most diesels have a poor first gear? ,There not exactly the fastest at pulling away.
Sara Fiesta
[quote name='mitch84' timestamp='1331206230' post='171383']
I thought most diesels have a poor first gear? ,There not exactly the fastest at pulling away.
[/quote]

They're not to bad :-)
artscot79
my neighbour has had many recalls yet ford etis and the other sites have nothing about it so many recalls and faults she gave the car back but from what i got from her before she went on hol was the rear pass door was letting wind through turned out both rear doors were not fitted correctly

battery discharging when parked
start button not working and taking numerous tries to start the car
wing mirror glass fell out bonding not satisfactory
dab radio issues ie kept changing station
stereo changing from cd to aux on its own
software upgrade x3
rattling from rear suspension whole rear end was replaced but didnt solve the issue
Sara Fiesta
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1331209674' post='171392']
my neighbour has had many recalls yet ford etis and the other sites have nothing about it so many recalls and faults she gave the car back but from what i got from her before she went on hol was the rear pass door was letting wind through turned out both rear doors were not fitted correctly

software upgrade x3
rattling from rear suspension whole rear end was replaced but didnt solve the issue
[/quote]

WOW ! I would be devastated !
tomo2001
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1331209674' post='171392']

software upgrade x3
[/quote]

Were they actual Ford recalls or just your neighbour complaining and her taking the car back for different faults ? Two completely different scenarios, unfortunately looks like your neighbour got the 'lemon'.
cuke
Hi, and were they on the Mk3?
Chris
artscot79
the recalls were the doors the dab radio the stop start the battery and the suspension though theres no official recall info which i assume is ford trying to keep it quiet this was her 2nd focus as the first kept stalling unable to find the issue they changed the car.

she has had for the last month a punto evo she seems happy as she couldnt trust the foci anymore and it spent too much time at the dealers as she said its not just the time its the inconvenience and putting fuel into courtesy cars all the time.

Full Colour Version: Mk3 1.6 Tdci Poor First Gear
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615