Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chain Or Belt Camshaft Drive?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
NorthSussex
[left][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I found this in "official Ford catalogues"[/font][/size][/color][/left]

[left]1.8 L[/left]
[left]Inline 4
DOHC
16 valves
head and block - light alloy
electronic fuel injection on few points
adjustable intake system
chain driven camshafts
weight 109 kg

92 kW-125 HP / 6000 rpm
165 Nm / 4000 rpm[/left]

[left][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I am now confused, I thought the 1.8 ltr petrol engine had a cam belt, this Ford catalogue says its a chain. Any thoughts?[/font][/size][/color][/left]
Barry_
The 1.8 mondeo petrol is chain so expect the 1.8 engine in focus is too.

Does it not say in handbook?
cuke
Hi, isn't it easier just to look at the engine?
Chris
btmaldon
I thought all the Focus petrol engines were belt driven. The Mk 3 Mondeo engines were definately Chain.
NorthSussex
[quote name='cuke' timestamp='1331193180' post='171322']
Hi, isn't it easier just to look at the engine?
Chris
[/quote]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Chris,[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive][/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Only if you know what you are looking for; if it were that simple I would have looked; Its like me asking you, what type of digital decoder your TV has?[/font][/size][/color]
NorthSussex
[quote name='Barry_' timestamp='1331165954' post='171296']
The 1.8 mondeo petrol is chain so expect the 1.8 engine in focus is too.

Does it not say in handbook?
[/quote]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]No, the handbook covers all Focus models and does not give technical details.[/font][/size][/color]
tomo2001
Info here....
[url="http://zinteractive-fordfocus.webs.com/mk2%20int%20engines.htm"]http://zinteractive-fordfocus.webs.com/mk2%20int%20engines.htm[/url]
cuke
[quote name='ndsussex' timestamp='1331198679' post='171339']
[color=#0000FF][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Chris,[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000FF][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Only if you know what you are looking for; if it were that simple I would have looked; Its like me asking you, what type of digital decoder your TV has?[/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Hi, not really, the cover for a cambelt will be different to that of a cam chain. One would be made of tin or plastic and the other cast alloy. A TV decoder is a printed circuit inside a tv, thus not so obvious, however the type can often be read from accessing the service menu or from the service manual.
Chris
NorthSussex
[quote name='cuke' timestamp='1331200500' post='171351']
Hi, not really, the cover for a cambelt will be different to that of a cam chain. One would be made of tin or plastic and the other cast alloy. A TV decoder is a printed circuit inside a tv, thus not so obvious, however the type can often be read from accessing the service menu or from the service manual.
Chris
[/quote]
Chris,
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Chris, ?[/font][/size][/color]
STEADS
Not really a daft question as the 2.0 tdci is both belt and chain belt on the outer to a single sprocket and a chain within the head connecting the 2 cams wouldnt know off hand if the same principle is applied to the later petrol engines .
NorthSussex
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1331199651' post='171347']
Info here....
[url="http://zinteractive-fordfocus.webs.com/mk2%20int%20engines.htm"]http://zinteractive-...t%20engines.htm[/url]
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]This is the site I got this info from, hence my question, as I was under the impression that the 1.8 was belt drive, as on other sites the info says belt drive, maybe it depends on the year.[/font][/size][/color]
NorthSussex
[quote name='STEADS' timestamp='1331202368' post='171358']
Not really a daft question as the 2.0 tdci is both belt and chain belt on the outer to a single sprocket and a chain within the head connecting the 2 cams wouldnt know off hand if the same principle is applied to the later petrol engines .
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]That could be where the confusion comes from. Thanks[/font][/size][/color]
tomo2001
[quote name='ndsussex' timestamp='1331198832' post='171342']
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]No, the handbook covers all Focus models and does not give technical details.[/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Normally it tells you the service shedules per engine size and would say 10years or 100,000 miles or similar for a belt (that's from my Fiesta handbook). Dunno about references to chains though ?
NorthSussex
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1331203614' post='171371']
Normally it tells you the service shedules per engine size and would say 10years or 100,000 miles or similar for a belt (that's from my Fiesta handbook). Dunno about references to chains though ?
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]That information is not covered in my service book, it’s very generic. Steads could be right, it could be both.[/font][/size][/color]
Pidu
Etis creates service schedules according to VIN or licence plate number. You could check there if change of the timing belt is scheduled. If not - I would say your engine has chain like mine.
artscot79
1.8 petrols are belt driven not chain all the petrol ford engines are belt
tomo2001
Just done quick search on Eurocarparts, no parts listed under timing belts or timing belt kits for Focus 1.8 2008 Petrol. Guess it's a chain ?
Pidu
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1331210012' post='171395']
all the petrol ford engines are belt
[/quote]

Tell that to my engine, must have upgraded itself ;)

Comparing the parts both 1.8 and 2.0 have the same chain.
artscot79
obviously changed it at some point as they were belts
dexter666
The focus mk2 125hp 1.8 duratec he is cambelt.I know it"s. confusing as the same size engine in the mondeo is chain cam
artscot79
From past experience id rather have the belt the mechanic i worked for had to deal with stretched chains snapped chains and so forth expensive job if and when it has to be done. The mk1 1.8 was belt also even my old passat was belt.

Like many things with ford specs etc its confusing
Pidu
All of my previous cars had chains and I have never had any problem with that. If I have a choice I prefer engines with chain, but it is only my point of view.

I have checked one more book and is says as follow (petrol engines):
1.4 and 1.6 Duratec - cambelt
1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT - cambelt
1.8 and 2.0 Duratec HE - chain
2.6 Duratec ST - cambelt

Failed to find cambelt for 1.8 Duratec as a spare part. Earlier 1.8 Zetec E had belt as far as I have seen.
NorthSussex
[u][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Votes so far.[/font][/size][/color][/u]

[i][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Chain = 6[/font][/size][/color][/i]
[i][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Belt = 3[/font][/size][/color][/i]
[i][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Both = 1[/font][/size][/color][/i]
[i][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Don't know = 3[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]The plot thickens.[/font][/size][/color]
Pidu
This is not a voting thread, it is technical and a lucky guess is not an answer. If you are not sure - check engine or ask local dealer or any mechanic to do this instead of thinking about it for two days :P
NorthSussex
[quote name='Pidu' timestamp='1331286085' post='171572']
This is not a voting thread, it is technical and a lucky guess is not an answer. If you are not sure - check engine or ask local dealer or any mechanic to do this instead of thinking about it for two days :P
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I have not found anywhere in the forum rules that posts have to be technical.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000FF][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]A member who is asking a question is not necessarily thinking about it for days, but is genuinely [/font][/size][/color][color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive] interested in the opinion from other members. [/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000FF][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I am sure a lot of members would be interested in the subject, and I have differing answers from mechanics, so I think it is relevant.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]If you don’t like the word “Votes” change it to “Opinions”. is that OK?[/font][/size][/color]
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]This thread (or I) seem to have wound some members up a bit, for which I am sorry, but it does show that not all the information we receive from other members on the forum or get from official Ford sources is not always correct.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]It’s good sometimes to have a heated debate on the forum providing we are not rude or get too personal; I will do my best to abide by this, I am a bit of a grumpy old man at times, and I apologise..[/font][/size][/color]
Pidu
[quote name='ndsussex' timestamp='1331286606' post='171575']
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I am sure a lot of members would be interested in the subject, [/font][/size][/color][/quote]

You are right. What they need is a simple answer and not a long thread with differing answers.

[color=#0000FF][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]and I have differing answers from mechanics, so I think it is relevant.[/font][/size][/color][/quote]

This is not a quantum physics, it is easy to check when looking into engine bay so do not understand what kind of problem mechanics can have.

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]If you don’t like the word “Votes” change it to “Opinions”. Is that OK?[/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Does not really matter to me. I understand your concerns and if I were you I would like to be 100% sure as well. But this thread is not leading anywhere. You have differing answers from mechanics and from forum members. How are you going to choose the correct one as everybody is sure he is right?

Look also here:

[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/17415-focus-18-engine-cover-duratec-he/"]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/17415-focus-18-engine-cover-duratec-he/[/url]

Check post #5 and #6, compare photos and your engine.
NorthSussex
[quote name='Pidu' timestamp='1331291026' post='171582']
You are right. What they need is a simple answer and not a long thread with differing answers.

This is not a quantum physics, it is easy to check when looking into engine bay so do not understand what kind of problem mechanics can have.

Does not really matter to me. I understand your concerns and if I were you I would like to be 100% sure as well. But this thread is not leading anywhere. You have differing answers from mechanics and from forum members. How are you going to choose the correct one as everybody is sure he is right?

Look also here:

[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/17415-focus-18-engine-cover-duratec-he/"]http://www.fordowner...ver-duratec-he/[/url]

Check post #5 and #6, compare photos and your engine.
[/quote]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]It was not a concern to me as my car is a long way from needing a belt change, that’s if it has a belt, It was more a matter of interest and puzzlement that such a simple question to a group of garage mechanics at the local pub, and to forum members had so many different answers; this must apply to so many queries we get on the forum, and it’s always a good idea to sometimes get a second opinion, particularly on the forum.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Thanks for the link.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Have a good day.[/font][/size][/color]

Full Colour Version: Chain Or Belt Camshaft Drive?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615