Hi everyone.

I'm getting a sort of rattle noise from my transaxle and need your help to pinpoint the problem.

Car is a 2002 Focus 1.6 zetec petrol.

This is the problem,

If i stop the car after about 10 minutes driving from cold and put car in neutral and lift clutch up, i get a diesel like knocking sound coming from the transaxle area. If i press on the clutch all the way the noise goes. Also once car is fully warmed after about 20-30 minutes driving the noise is gone. The car has done 66k but had a new clutch at 60k from ford 2 years ago (car isn't driven much). The noise only occurs when idling and not whilst driving. Gear engagement is okay. As i said once the transaxle warms up the noise is gone. I'm thinking maybe the flywheel should have been machined or the clutch springs are loose which is causing vibration to be transmitted into the gearbox causing gear rattle. I've checked transmission fluid and its at the right level. I have also checked all mounts and they seem fine. The noise is dependant on outside temperature, if its warm it sometimes won't make a noise.

Any help would be appreciated