Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sony Dab Aerial
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
021C
Hi,

I recently purchased a Sony DAB head unit to replace the non DAB version of the same unit in my 2008 1.8 TDCI focus titanium.

I was told it was taken from a 2010 focus and so far it works perfectly with my Bluetooth module, stalk etc.

I understand that I need to replace the aerial mast and base ( which I am in the process of organising ) however when the Sony DAB arrived it only has the standard aerial connection. I expected the unit to have an FM and separate DAB connection.

it is a DAB mp3 CD unit ( similar age to the original factor fitted unit ( 2007 date) and has the DAB marking on the faceplate.

I have it fitted and can access FM perfectly. My problem is I am unable to find any way to search for digital stations. Does the functionality depend on a DAB compatible aerial being fitted and did ford fit units that shared FM and DAB via one single connection to the head unit?

Thanks in advance

Stu
cuke
Hi, I believe you do need to have the correct aerial and I can't see why they would have two connections when you only have the one aerial...
Chris
021C
That's my thinking.

I am aware that some do have a dedicated connection for the DAB and I think the mast base for the combined mast splits the two signals?

Parts guys aren't sure on this one and ford aren't too quick to reply to questions ;) want to make sure I'm ordering the right cables

Stu
Stoney871
I'm not sure there should be a double connector on the aerial.
Is there a double connector on the back of the radio?
If not then this may be what you need.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-DAB-Aerial-/190654153965?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c63df84ed"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-DAB-Aerial-/190654153965?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c63df84ed[/url]
021C
[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1332087659' post='173208']
I'm not sure there should be a double connector on the aerial.

[color=#ff8c00][b]Not sure myself - I've seen a few 'how to's' and they replace the mast and base, which suggests that both are needed...[/b][/color]

Is there a double connector on the back of the radio?

[color=#ff8c00][b]No - just a single connection exactly like the FM only unit I've replaced[/b][/color]

If not then this may be what you need.[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-DAB-Aerial-/190654153965?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c63df84ed"] http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c63df84ed[/url]

[color=#ff8c00][b]Cheers - I have one of those on order and I believe the wire wrapped around the mast takes care of the DAB signal. This obviously must then be past through the base, down the A pillar and across to the radio (which is done in two different cables. [/b][/color]
[/quote]

I'm fairly confident that the mast, base and mast to A pillar cable will be correct. Just the connection on the back of the unit and the lack of visuals to check that's confusing things. Parts guys are getting the parts in the confirm either way - just thought someone on here may have gone through the same process . It's fair to say after I'm done with this I will be creating a how to as I have amassed a lot of information during my search currently not in any particular order ;)

Stu
Stoney871
The helix wire on the aerial is because FM and DAB are two different frequency ranges.
FM is from 88 - 108 MHZ wheras DAB is 174 - 240MHZ, while they are still in the VHF range (30 -300 MHZ) there is a need to optimise the range in which the aerials receive.
021C
Right - that makes sense.

From that I deduce that as FM and DAB signals share the same VHF 'space' - albeit at opposing ends, the same signals can be passed via one connection?

This may also explain why my unit does not show any ability to search for DAB stations....
Stoney871
[quote name='021C' timestamp='1332094141' post='173226']
Right - that makes sense.

From that I deduce that as FM and DAB signals share the same VHF 'space' - albeit at opposing ends, the same signals can be passed via one connection?

This may also explain why my unit does not show any ability to search for DAB stations....
[/quote]
That would be my understanding, yes.
If the frequencies were widely different as in VHF and UHF then totally different aerials (antenna is technically more correct as an aerial would mean transmit and recieve) would be needed - think carphone kits and huge CB aerials - size is important in those cases (it's to do with sympathetic oscillation of the aerial with the frequency).
Sorry if i'm being too techy, in a previous life in the military one of my jobs was as a radio instructor (HF, VHF, UHF, SHF) :blink:
johnH
hey stoney, you didnt happen to teach radio fundamentals at no.1 radio school, raf cosford by any chance? lol
Stoney871
Not me I'm afraid.
I was field comms and manpack systems.
Regiment instructor at Halton and Honington.
Also weapons, field medic, NBC, STO, SHORAD and GDT. :P
021C
The techier the better ;)

Although not a radio geek, I do have my own areas of interest / expertise and get equally detailed :) They may be of use on here some day......

I'll wait and see what comes back from the parts guys. Hopefully solid answers.... Well, we can only hope ;)

Stu

Stoney871
Best of luck Stu.
Should be an easy resolution.
salsheikh
you will find the ford wiki guide useful, its what i used when i installed mine - got parts from Ford - non dab to dab - good news!

i can tpost the link on here as it is not allowed so google ford wiki dab and it should find it.
021C
Yeah I've seen the wiki guide and that's what helped me identify the part numbers.

I take it you have also fitted the DAB stereo? If so did you have only one aerial connection on the back?

I'm keen to get the DAB sorted for my daily commute :)

salsheikh
yep, only the one connection. simples.
021C
Brilliant - so did you need to replace all parts ( cable from radio to A pillar / A pillar to mast base / mast base / mast ) or just the mast itself (possibly mast base)?

I can't see why the cables would be different, only that the guy on the wiki was keeping the original cable in place if he later sold the car and needed to go back to the original...

Stu
salsheikh
yep, you need to replace the cables from base to dab unit, easy to do. clips all in place. i left my wiring in too - i may remove the dab unit and replace with oem unit when selling the car, sell for apprx £175 on ebay.
021C
Do you have the part numbers for the components you used? I used the ones for the wiki....
salsheikh
i used the ones off wiki too mate. prices were higher than on the wiki page sadly.
021C
[quote name='salsheikh' timestamp='1332162757' post='173355']
i used the ones off wiki too mate. prices were higher than on the wiki page sadly.
[/quote]

Yeah - I found that too. Although I managed to get the price down a little - which made it a little easier to stomach. My other half thinks I'm nuts... all this effort for DAB. They don't understand!
salsheikh
it IS worth it. I had to visit the outlaws over the weekend and the full use of DAB came in very handy up and down the M1.
021C
Hi,

I have now received (finally) the cables to retrofit the DAB radio properly.

However, despite asking the parts people to check, the cable from the A pillar to the back of the radio has 2 connectors - standard FM and a separate black connector which I assume is for the DAB - however I can't see anywhere for this to go..... Do I need this cable as my DAB unit only has the one connector on the back...

I ordered the cable from the wiki which originally made be doubt the connection I needed once I had received the radio (hence my original post above):

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8365842/Photos/800px-Aerial_Splitter_(Stereo_End).JPG[/img]

The back of my DAB unit looks like this. Will the standard cable going to the A pillar connect and work? as both FM an DAB signals are sent down the one cable to the A pillar connector.

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8365842/Photos/DAB.jpg[/img]

Any thoughts on this would help as Ford are not forthcoming with an answer.

Stu
salsheikh
your pic of the H/U looks different to mine. there is no place for the DAB aerial to be connected. Does it say DAB on the front? I will see if i can take a pic of mine for you later today.
salsheikh
have a look of the pics on this listing: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ford-Sony-DAB-6-CD-MP3-S-max-Mondeo-Focus-Galaxy-Kuga-Fiesta-C-max-transit-/150781113397?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item231b413435"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ford-Sony-DAB-6-CD-MP3-S-max-Mondeo-Focus-Galaxy-Kuga-Fiesta-C-max-transit-/150781113397?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item231b413435[/url]

it shows a connection point r/h side for the dab aerial
021C
[quote name='salsheikh' timestamp='1333109095' post='175143']
your pic of the H/U looks different to mine. there is no place for the DAB aerial to be connected. Does it say DAB on the front? I will see if i can take a pic of mine for you later today.
[/quote]

Yes- this is why I'm confused. Purchased the unit from eBay and it works fine with my voice / mic/ BT but does not have a obvious connection for DAB. I also cannot see any way to access DAB options or attempt to search for DAB stations. I assumed this was due to an incorrect aerial. Pics of unit below.

It's a similar age unit as what I had in my early 08 focus. Perhaps they only had one connector to begin with? From what I can see the cable that fits to the new aerial mast sends both DAB and FM down one connection. It is then split via the radio to A pillar cable.

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8365842/Photos/DAB_2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8365842/Photos/DAB_3.jpg[/img]
salsheikh
thats a wierd one mate. i'm surprised at this as there appears to be no connection for the dab aerial. have you tried to remove the back cover when the mounting should be to see if there is anything there?
021C
Just been to double check my aerial mast and base. The new base is larger and the mast is different. At least that means I've got the correct DAB compatible parts - just need to work out the radio now......frustrating as I don't want to pull the car to bits to find it doesn't work.

Stu
021C
[quote name='salsheikh' timestamp='1333112165' post='175159']
thats a wierd one mate. i'm surprised at this as there appears to be no connection for the dab aerial. have you tried to remove the back cover when the mounting should be to see if there is anything there?
[/quote]

No - but I admit it has crossed my mind as the only difference between the example you posted from ebay and mine is a plate mounted. Perhaps they added them as an afterthought? If there is a connection in there it would be fiddly to attach. Alternatively one aerial connection could have handled both DAB and FM and done the separation on the board. Two connections could have been added later....
salsheikh
if all else fails, return the dab unit and say it doesnt work - ebay purchase means you should be protected.
021C
[quote name='salsheikh' timestamp='1333112860' post='175162']
if all else fails, return the dab unit and say it doesnt work - ebay purchase means you should be protected.
[/quote]

Hopefully it shouldn't come to that.

Can I ask - when you access DAB stations what procedure do you follow. I haven't been able to even see a way to search for DAB stations. The lack of a suitable aerial would explain this I hope. I was just curious how you cycle between FM / AM / DAB etc.

Stu
salsheikh
i use the 4 arrows on the round silver bit
021C
so... I removed the head unit, fitted the DAb aerial, base, leads etc and nothing. I could see anywhere for the DAB connector to go and I'm now at a loss as to how the radio could possibly work with DAB? It appears to be right. I have looked for the model number and it comes up multiple times on ebay as a DAB radio.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I could check with before I consider my options? Ford? Sony? I'm also considering that the DAB functionality may need enabling?

In my opinion if it doesn't work as advertised I should simply return it to the guy I bought it from. Shame really as apart from the lack of DAB it's a cracking head unit - just a duplicate of my original one at the moment

Frustrating!!
salsheikh
mate, deffo return it and get another one. something isnt right about it.
jbeer
You may have returned this already or go it sorted, either way here is my reply to you posted question

I believe that you access the DAB stations by pressing the Radio button on the left hand side several times…this then scrolls through FM, AM, FMST (I think) and then DAB. Not sure if it's the right order but you get the jist

Hope it helps :)
021C
[quote name='jbeer' timestamp='1343084129' post='196043']
You may have returned this already or go it sorted, either way here is my reply to you posted question

I believe that you access the DAB stations by pressing the Radio button on the left hand side several times…this then scrolls through FM, AM, FMST (I think) and then DAB. Not sure if it's the right order but you get the jist

Hope it helps :)
[/quote]

Hey - thanks for the reply. This is all sorted now and I did return the item soon after I posted.

There was no way the item was a DAB unit and what i think had happened was the font plate of the radio had been replaced to make the unit look like a DAB unit. This would be very easy to do - so i would suggest if anyone has any concerns ask here for advice.

I managed to get a full refund from eBay and not long after buy a 100% DAB unit - all fitted and working :)

Stu
jbeer
[quote name='021C' timestamp='1343127658' post='196100']
Hey - thanks for the reply. This is all sorted now and I did return the item soon after I posted.

There was no way the item was a DAB unit and what i think had happened was the font plate of the radio had been replaced to make the unit look like a DAB unit. This would be very easy to do - so i would suggest if anyone has any concerns ask here for advice.

I managed to get a full refund from eBay and not long after buy a 100% DAB unit - all fitted and working :)

Stu
[/quote]

Glad you managed to get it all sorted in the end :)

Full Colour Version: Sony Dab Aerial
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.