Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tyre Pressure Warning
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
mitch84
Hi

checked and topped up my tyre pressures 3 weeks ago all to 31psi and reset the tyre pressures on the trip display.

Today I was driving with a full car of 5 people and I got the check tyre pressures message warning.

Ive since checked the tyres and they seem fine and also reset the pressures and all is fine so far.

Now its the first time Ive had a full car , so could this of been the reason I got the warning?

cheers
Stoney871
Yes, the weight will push the tyres flatter on the road and the sensor will read this.
You need to inflate to the specified pressure for a fully loaded car and reset the sensors to avoid this.
catch
The tyre pressures dependent on occupants chart on my Mk2 Focus are on the drivers door bulkhead bottom left, I suspect yours will be the same.

Remember, tyre pressures are dependent on air temperature. So you should as instructed check that your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure dependent on vehicle loading when they are cold.

OK I can here some peeps saying, if that is the case then the pressure will alter as the tyre warms up on the road. Yes that is right, and that is why tyre manufacturers build the cold to warm pressures into the equation. The unkown input to the equation is you the owner, and that is why you the owner need to check tyre pressure when the tyre is cold [ at ambient outside temperature]

Edit: I'm not intending to appear to be lecturing the thread starter. I'm just making an observation, that some readers may find explains the logic behind tyre pressures.

And having your tyres at the right pressures, will not only put you in a safer place whilst on the roads. But will save you shed loads of money on premature tyre replacement. :D
mitch84
thanks guys , Im sure that is the case but today I was washing my car and guess what I found in my back tyre .....................................A rusty Nail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I picked it up last night as well when coming out of a pub as in the carpark was a lot of construction work about to take place , so Im guessing it could of been here.

So Im off to the garage to get a new tyre.

Would it be best to get a set for the back instead of just one tyre?

cheers
Stoney871
If the other rear tyre has plenty of tread then a new one with similar tread pattern is fine.
If the tyre is getting low on rubber I'd do both at the same time.
Keeps the grip nice and even and also makes it easier to gauge excessive wear in the case of alignment problems.
cuke
Hi, and if you do replace the pair it would be better to put the newer tread on the driving wheels. I sure that you already realise that though.
Chris
mitch84
[quote name='cuke' timestamp='1332164338' post='173362']
Hi, and if you do replace the pair it would be better to put the newer tread on the driving wheels. I sure that you already realise that though.
Chris
[/quote]

cheers guys , yeah I was thinking that , the rusty nail is in the tread , so it might be repairable???

Also the tyres I've ordered in case for tomorrow are Uniroyal rainsport 2 for 2 at £162 fitted , they seem to get good reviews ,what do you think ?

cheers
catch
mitch they are a good choice,

I've had a nail puncture repaired at a garage with a plug, and it was fine. they will only do such a repair if it's safe to do so. So plenty tread on it and it's sister tyre on the same axle then it's also financially viable.

There again, I've had nails in a 3mm tyre and it was not viable wad wise, so replaced with two new ones.

As to which axle the new tyres should gone......well you could end up with a thread a mile long arguing drive axle or on front wheel drive cars rear axle. Me I always believed they should go on the drive wheels. But on doing the research I found that industry professionals and the police [who attend tyre blow out accidents] say the newer tyres should always go on the rear axle. And as a result I followed their advice, because on reading up on the subject I agree with their logic.

Anyhow here are some links to threads I've written on the subject of tyres and tyre safety:

[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/16307-when-its-not-economical-to-repair-a-tyre/"]When It's Not Economical To Repair A Tyre[/url]

[url="http://fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/9551-four-bits-of-rubber-between-you-and-whatever/"]Four Bits Of Rubber Between You And Whatever[/url]

[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/10879-how-old-are-your-tyres/"]How Old Are Your Tyres[/url]

You could say I'm a bit "nerdy" when it comes to tyres :rolleyes:

I went for the [url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=goodyear"]Goodyear[/url] Optigrips in the end:

A new set on the rear axle Oct 2010.
And I replaced the fronts Aug 2011.

Planning on swapping axles around, back end of 2013 if all goes to plan

Last tyre tread check back in Dec 2011 I had 7.07mm on the fronts and 6.73mm on the rears.
mitch84
Yeah I may keep the new tyres on the rear if I need them.

Really hoping I can get it repaired as I'm skint this month as it is!!!! :unsure:

cheers
mitch84
Had to get tyres in the end , but In the end I got a pair of Uniroyal rain expert , also seem to get good ratings what do guys think of these?

cheers
mitch84
guys is there any difference between V and W rating on my focus?

Actually there would be a difference but is it ok to use both these tyre speed ratings on my focus 1.6tdci?

when I put my reg in most of the tyre chain stores it comes up saying my speed rating is W yet when I bought the car from fords it had V rating on all tyres and kwik fit also fitted my new rear tyres as V ?

Also what do you think of my choice Uniroyal Rain Expert ?

thanks

Mitch
tomo2001
[quote name='cuke' timestamp='1332164338' post='173362']
Chris
[/quote]

New tyres should preferably go on the rear axle.
catch
Now this is just a personal observation on my part, and not meant as a personal attack towards anyone in particular. But I'm never ceased to be amazed that some peeps buy a product then straight away need reassuring that it is a good buy!

I would have thought reasoned logic would dictate that if your ever in doubt as to a products suitability, you basically have two avenues open to you. One is research the product on line, or the lazy way [often used by myself] is to ask for advice on forums where one would expect to find considered opinion. :ph34r:

Now as it happens [i]mitch84[/i], either of the two Uniroyals you mentioned are good tyres.........let it go mate and move on ..... :D

[u]Edit:[/u]
Now that said, in my quest to enlighten those who see the subject of tyres as a dark science :wacko: My next thread on the subject will be in regard to expected tyre longevity across the board......................But based on a review of the Goodyear Optigrips I purchased over the period of October 2010, and August 2011..................the review will be in regard to how they have performed since those purchase dates up to and ending 22nd March 2012.
mitch84
Ok :) , you also have to remember sometimes tyres have to be bought without research ,especially when one has to get to work the next day. I also did want the rainsport 2 tyres but this tyre was not available at the tyre fitters and as I needed a tyre urgently I decided to get the rain expert without doing much research! ;)
catch
Point taken Terry,

Anyway your lucky you have the tyre monitoring application enabled on your Titanium. I remember reading somewhere recently that it's not now a standard option on the latest Mk3 Focus, though it was originally....backward step or what?

OK, it was part of a repositioning of pricing.....lowering pre discount retail prices, but to switch safety application off .....how sad and nit picking on Fords part is that?
cuke
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1332340779' post='173820']
New tyres should preferably go on the rear axle.
[/quote]

Hi, could you explain more, what sense would that make, the rears just follow the fronts and have nothing to do with traction...
Chris
mitch84
[quote name='catch' timestamp='1332497420' post='174033']
Point taken Terry,

Anyway your lucky you have the tyre monitoring application enabled on your Titanium. I remember reading somewhere recently that it's not now a standard option on the latest Mk3 Focus, though it was originally....backward step or what?

OK, it was part of a repositioning of pricing.....lowering pre discount retail prices, but to switch safety application off .....how sad and nit picking on Fords part is that?
[/quote]

Really! , Its a handy feature although you do still have to find what tyre has the problem if any. but it should be standard on all models , I consider it a safety feature?
catch
[quote name='cuke' timestamp='1332501974' post='174044']
Hi, could you explain more, what sense would that make, the rears just follow the fronts and have nothing to do with traction...
Chris
[/quote]

[url="http://www.uniroyaltires.com/care/tire-maintenance.html"]Enjoy the learning curve[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5YsQ_a_ijA"]And our Vicki Henderson [/url]

Now knowing that, when it comes to tyre replacement time...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaqoMnEUJM0"]I decided on Goodyear Optigrip all round for obvious reasons [/url] :)

Full Colour Version: Tyre Pressure Warning
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.