Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slow Moving Steering Noise (Rubbing)
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
soulman123
Mk 1.5 ff 1.8 04 petrol 50k

Hey all :)

Bit of an odd problem basically when I reverse into a bay slowly moving the steering wheel there is this kind of best described as a rubbing noise like rubber..

Also if stationary I tried moving the steetin wheel a quarter turn and it makes the same noise.

Hopefully I have not been too vague in describing thid.

Any ideas what it might be or the likely suspects ?

On a brighter note it passed its mot last week with 2 advisories. Rear trailing arm bushes perished but not causing excessive movement.

thanks for any help *thumbs up*
STEADS
have you got mud flaps fitted ? could be catching on lock
soulman123
Hi stoney,

Thanks for the post.

I do have mud flaps. I have had a look and are not rubbing.

Usually there is no full turning when I park, mainly drive in to bays but I do reverse in for a speedy exit.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the drop links.
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]It could be the Aux / steering pump belt needs adjusting.[/font][/size][/color]
NorthSussex
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]This thread seems to be running in two places. <_< [/font][/size]
artscot79
spray the rubbers top and bottom both sides of the drop links and wait 5 mins then try again if the noise goes you have youre answer
NorthSussex
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1334305343' post='177357']
spray the rubbers top and bottom both sides of the drop links and wait 5 mins then try again if the noise goes you have youre answer
[/quote]
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]WD40?[/font][/size][/color] <_<
artscot79
yeah meant to write that just off a niteshift been up 20hrs going to bed
soulman123
Apologies for the double I clicked post twice as it didn't seem to be doing anything or my impatience after a hard day.

I'll give the wd40 a go. I hope the if it is them I can easily change them, I have a basic tool kit, trolley jack, stands, sockets the core essentials.

It did just pass it mot but I know drop links can be hard to diagnose unless you take them off and check movement.

Interestingly the drivers side was changed when I got the car so I guess the suspect side would be the passenger side. Unless they used a cheap part on the drivers side which could have failed. I think under the rubber is a balljoint which should be fairly stiff if its floppy its done.

I hope it is that. Not sure of the procedure to take off but on previous cars it was just 2 nuts and off it comes.

Thanks for the help :)
Stoney871
Standard procedure is to change both sides at the same time, it keeps everything nice and equal.
soulman123
Ahh I guess the forecourt I got it for decided to be cheap.

A likely suspect seeing as the drivers side failed, I bet the passenger side was mot far behind.

That will be my first port of call.

When I get in ill get the Haynes out to see what's involved.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615