Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retro Fitting Bluetooth/dab - Run Into Some Suspicious Problems
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
DJ_Andy_M
Ok,

So I've got a 2008 Zetec, and a CD6000.

I'm going to rip that out and replace it with nice Ford Sony DAB head unit, and bluetooth and all the gubbins that go with it.

But i've run into a bit of a snag, and may result in my dealer getting a talking to...

Popped the radio out today to check to see what wiring I had going on as I don't have the bluetooth cabling that I can see, but thought I'd check from the back to see if anything goes anywhere... and bumped into a some issues.

1. The radio is 8M5T, but the rest of the loom is 7M5T (There was some stuff under the bonnet that was 8M5T too so I'm at a loss)
2. The radio wiring appears to have been cut, and some stuck back together with electrical tape. Wires were exposed when I pulled it forward (not to mention a loose screw)

So now I have a conundrum of what to do next, continue and hope I can achive what I want or go to the dealer with some b/s problem that required a radio reset and explain what I found.

I have a bluetooth unit with USB, so I'll go and get the appropriate radio and loom for that. I'm just concerned about this discovery.

Help? Please?

Andy
chris mitchell
you can buy a patch loom from ford that connects to the original car loom and has all the connectors for the mic and nokia BT module. The loom is about £110.
The I have retro fitted a DAB radio to my car and the cars original BT and voice control still works as it did before with the none DAB Sony radio.
From what i can understand all the radio's can work with BT even your RDS6000 radio.

Its a shame your a fair bit away from me as i have a spare patch loom that you could of tried on your car>
Richiemac
[quote name='chris mitchell' timestamp='1336078470' post='180751']
you can buy a patch loom from ford that connects to the original car loom and has all the connectors for the mic and nokia BT module. The loom is about £110.
The I have retro fitted a DAB radio to my car and the cars original BT and voice control still works as it did before with the none DAB Sony radio.
From what i can understand all the radio's can work with BT even your RDS6000 radio.

Its a shame your a fair bit away from me as i have a spare patch loom that you could of tried on your car>
[/quote]

Would you sell the spare patch loom?????
DJ_Andy_M
[quote name='chris mitchell' timestamp='1336078470' post='180751']

[/quote]

Where about's are you? I'm always up for a road trip!
chris mitchell
[quote name='DJ_Andy_M' timestamp='1336135471' post='180817']
Where about's are you? I'm always up for a road trip!
[/quote]

Cuddington Cheshire or Speke in Liverpool at the bat cave :lol: (old metalbox factory)
Danny Sayer
Sorry to hijack this post ,I have a 2008 zetec with a cd 6000. I am looking at fitting the Bluetooth to the radio so that I can make phone calls through radio. What parts do I need???

Thanks.
chris mitchell
A ford/Nokia bluetooth module, a mic and a patch loom from ford if you do not have the loom in the car and a different radio control stalk that has a "voice" button so you can use the voice control that part of the BT unit. In some cases the radio may need altering (programming)
Danny Sayer
That is great. Do you know part numbers. Also where could. Get all this from.
chris mitchell
When im back at work tomorrow ill get you the part number for the patch loom from ford but be warned its not cheap! you will be looking to pay £100 +vat if you get ford emp discount or £120 + vat with no discount. Ebay is the best place to find the other bits like the BT module there approx £60-90. Keep an eye out for one from a 2010 focus ST as they mainly come with USB connection for ipod's etc
Danny Sayer
Will take radio out tomorrow to see if the patch wire is there already. Thanks for your help.

I found this. Does this include what I need.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130690397215?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_720wt_922
DaveRushton
^^Thats the wrong mic for a focus i think, you need a circular one, so it will fit next to the light in the roof :) I fitted bluetooth about 2 months ago, was an easy job, i got the loom, module, mic and stalk off ebay for £120 :D.
chris mitchell
Yeah the Ebay link is for a Fiesta MK6.5
DJ_Andy_M
Thanks for completely hijacking my topic and taking it right off topic!

[color=#474747][font=sans-serif][size=3]Popped the radio out today to check to see what wiring I had going on as I don't have the bluetooth cabling that I can see, but thought I'd check from the back to see if anything goes anywhere... and bumped into a some issues.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#474747][font=sans-serif][size=3]1. The radio is 8M5T, but the rest of the loom is 7M5T (There was some stuff under the bonnet that was 8M5T too so I'm at a loss) - No matter, I have DAB Radio now, its an 8M5T.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#474747][font=sans-serif][size=3]2. The radio wiring appears to have been cut, and some stuck back together with electrical tape. Wires were exposed when I pulled it forward (not to mention a loose screw) - THIS IS A MASSIVE CONCERN, WHY????[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#474747][font=sans-serif][size=3]So now I have a conundrum of what to do next, continue and hope I can achive what I want or go to the dealer with some b/s problem that required a radio reset and explain what I found.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#474747][font=sans-serif][size=3]I have a bluetooth unit with USB, so I'll go and get the appropriate radio and loom for that. I'm just concerned about this discovery. - Got the radio, just need to find me a loom, and microphone bits[/size][/font][/color]
chris mitchell
The numbers on the loom would not give me to much concern as there just like vauxhall. Use whet they have on the shelf at the time. I have also retro fitted dab and used a radio from a 2010 titanium in my 08 st. I bought the DAB aerial (you need the full thing and costs approx £55 for the lot) and it worked no problem. The 8m5t number relates to a month and year fot that part so its traceable to ford if there is any issue for recalls.
Just make sure the bare wires are covered and there back in the correct place.
Once you have the patch loom you will be able to connect the BT unit to the DAB radio no problem
DJ_Andy_M
[quote name='chris mitchell' timestamp='1336652063' post='181773']
The numbers on the loom would not give me to much concern as there just like vauxhall. Use whet they have on the shelf at the time. I have also retro fitted dab and used a radio from a 2010 titanium in my 08 st. I bought the DAB aerial (you need the full thing and costs approx £55 for the lot) and it worked no problem. The 8m5t number relates to a month and year fot that part so its traceable to ford if there is any issue for recalls.
Once you have the patch loom you will be able to connect the BT unit to the DAB radio no problem
[/quote]

Cheers :) I'm still concerned as to why I have cut cables though.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/533303_10151591319415246_666475245_23940046_1359220296_n.jpg[/img]
chris mitchell
Might of had some sort of aftermarket telephone added before you bought the car etc. If you make sure the wires are in the correct place and covered you will be ok :)
DJ_Andy_M
[quote name='chris mitchell' timestamp='1336652063' post='181773']
[/quote]

What does the aerial look like? Whats the difference other than the correct wire connector for the radio?
chris mitchell
on the original none dab aerial you have one connector. The DAB one has a dual line with one standard connector and one Fakra connection. The joint that is on the drivers A post behind the trim is also a Fakra connection on the DAB and the aerial base and the connector to the base is also different so you need a compete new aerial even the whip!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.