Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Key Broken In Half In Boot Lock
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
mi5tery
Hi I wonder if someone can help me.

My key managed to break in half whilst inside the boot locking mechanism (For Focus hatchback LX TDi - X-reg (2000)).

The end half of the key is on the other side of the key hole cover and not easily accessible.

I need some advice as to how to remove this broken key.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Kind regads,

mi5tery
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]If you can still see the end of the key, try long nose pliers to pull it out.[/font][/size][/color]
Preee
Maybe try some micro screw drivers to try and twist and grip the broken section and ease it out.
Failing that you may have to strip down the lock .
btmaldon
Id try some pins to see if you can move it. There may not be any room for anything else. Its going to be one of those tedious jobs by sounds of it.

Good luck.
Stoney871
The only way to strip the lock barrel is to remove it from the lock unit but in doing so will destroy the barrel.
Judicious use of a small dot of superglue may give enough grip to pull the key blade out but then you run the risk of gumming the lock barrel permanently.
mintalkin
you could try some key extractor tools
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=key+extractor&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=11293628888&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3312559881701191678&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_274jp03i63_b
also intresting vid here
http://www.brokenkey.us.com/
Stoney871
Another option if the key stub is too far in is to buy a second hand lock barrel and key on eBay and replace the old one.
Only downside is you'll have 2 different keys to open the car.
Auto locksmiths can do a blade extraction but probably costs a few quid.
May be worth calling for prices.
Upside is they could cut a replacement blade at the same time.

Full Colour Version: Key Broken In Half In Boot Lock
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615