Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Reverse Light Wire Unit Is Missing Need Help Mot Due Soon
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
moy24
Hi my reveres light on my 2006 focus aint working so got a replacement bulb tried to put it in bur relised the actual wires(connector) is missing there aint no wires at all there. The gromet where the wire is meant to come thorough has nothing there and i need to get it fixed b4 my mot which is end of the month. Can any1 help please. where does the wires run from i dont have standerd bumper on i have a st rear bumper.
Lenny
[quote name='moy24' timestamp='1336914179' post='182359']
Hi my reveres light on my 2006 focus aint working so got a replacement bulb tried to put it in bur relised the actual wires(connector) is missing there aint no wires at all there. The gromet where the wire is meant to come thorough has nothing there and i need to get it fixed b4 my mot which is end of the month. Can any1 help please. where does the wires run from i dont have standerd bumper on i have a st rear bumper.
[/quote]

hi mate,
it seems someone has stolen your reverse bulb unit, possibly another focus owner.
please see my guide on installing an additional reverse unit so you can see how to access the area and trace the end of the cable,
you will require some cable and electrical tape to re join the cable, and is your focus a facelift model or a mk2 st ?
because the light bulb plug and socket are different on each model,

i suggest you log on to ebay and email some breakers,
just type the request once, and copy & paste it in to the question box to each ford focus breakers on ebay,
then wait for them to get back to you with a price.

is the reverse light unit gone too?
and now you are not showing any reverse light at all ?
moy24
[quote name='Lenny' timestamp='1336914923' post='182360']
hi mate,
it seems someone has stolen your reverse bulb unit, possibly another focus owner.
please see my guide on installing an additional reverse unit so you can see how to access the area and trace the end of the cable,
you will require some cable and electrical tape to re join the cable, and is your focus a facelift model or a mk2 st ?
because the light bulb plug and socket are different on each model,

i suggest you log on to ebay and email some breakers,
just type the request once, and copy & paste it in to the question box to each ford focus breakers on ebay,
then wait for them to get back to you with a price.

is the reverse light unit gone too?
and now you are not showing any reverse light at all ?
[/quote]
hi thanks for ur reply my focus is a 2006 mk2 but st replica. The little reverse light bulb holder on the back of the light is missing the wire connector is missing too.
Lenny
[url="http://www.focusowners-social.com/forum/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=38#"][img]http://www.focusowners-social.com/forum/images/smilies/PM_smiley.gif[/img][/url] ive sent you a message with links to purchase the items to get you back to normal,
also here is a link to purchase some 15amp cable and fabric tape its harder to break through compared to PVC tape so if they try to snap the cable again, it will take them longer,

also tape around the bulb connection when fitted in to the unit,
this will cause delay to anyone attempting to remove it and they may just move on to the next one if it looks like it will take too long.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiring-Loom-Harness-Adhesive-Cloth-Fabric-tape-19mm-25m-/180637405593?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2a0ed41199"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a0ed41199[/url]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Core-15A-amp-12V-Black-Red-DC-Power-Cable-per-2m-/180513876557?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a07772a4d"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a07772a4d[/url]

my reverse light install guide has reference to which cable is positive and which is negative,
its available in PDF format for you to download too.

im sure you will also need a fuse because if the wires were stripped they will have shorted out so im not sure what fuse it is but i can check the haynes for you if required.

you are the second person i have heard of this happening to.
the last one was in october of last year though, so not too frequent of a crime but preferably not happening to people at all.[url="http://www.focusowners-social.com/forum/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=38#"][img]http://www.focusowners-social.com/forum/images/smilies/tickedoff.gif[/img][/url]
Lenny
Did you get the reverse unit fixed up?
stef123
also, the reverse lights are not tested at mot
moy24
[quote name='Lenny' timestamp='1337323869' post='183168']
Did you get the reverse unit fixed up mate?
[/quote]
im going to try to sort it on the weekend i brought some bit i need from my local ford breakers il keep u inform
moy24
[quote name='stef123' timestamp='1337343047' post='183207']
also, the reverse lights are not tested at mot
[/quote]
i thought they check the reverse light too
moy24
i had a look but there is just no wire at all for the reverse light so im going to just leave it for now as i need to connect brand new wire to the reverse light just dont have the time.
Stoney871
All lights that were fitted as standard to a car on construction must be functional.
Also driving a car without a reverse light is a road traffic offence.
moy24
[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1339687085' post='187301']
All lights that were fitted as standard to a car on construction must be functional.
Also driving a car without a reverse light is a road traffic offence.
[/quote]
as the reverse light aint part of mot im going to get it sorted when i get the time. I been to my local garage and they confirmed it wont effect mot
stef123
[quote name='moy24' timestamp='1339687292' post='187303']
as the reverse light aint part of mot im going to get it sorted when i get the time. I been to my local garage and they confirmed it wont effect mot
[/quote]

yup, never understood how a numberplate light is more important that a reverse light tbh!
Stoney871
[quote name='moy24' timestamp='1339687292' post='187303']
[/quote]
Maybe not needed for MOT but still required by law.
If you get pulled and the light is found defective it will be a fine and a rectification notice.
stef123
I really would doubt anything would happen if you got pulled, yes it's defective but the car is still road legal.
If they decide to get that petty, what if my interior light is defectIve?
Stoney871
Put it this way, you can get a rectification notice for a loose battery, empty wash bottles or even too much crap on your dash.
stef123
Yes but you would also fail an mot for the above.
moy24
Just to let you all no i had my mot done today and it failed on 1 thing which is one of the alloys has a crack on it.so i just put my old standered wheels on and it passed
Stoney871
Well i go to the bottom of my stairs. :blink:
Probably a good job i never became a traffic Officer then.
Think i'll stick to Dogs. :huh:
ferretfloozy
mr ferret worked for an mot garage many years ago ..he says reversing lights are not tested during mot they're for your own convienience . you must not show a naked white light from the rear of the vehicle whilst its in a forward motion - same as a spare wheel if its on the car it must be legal if its not there at the mot its not tested (upto £5000 fine max and 3 penatly point per tyre for every offence) - washer jets and battery are mot checked so if the bottles empty or the battery is loose and you get pulled it could be a fine and a rectification notice - always best not to argue with plod at the side of the road (especially if he's got a dog) :mellow:
Stoney871
I like arguing, i'm good at it.
:P

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.