Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Focus Steering
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Jamiemcl1984
Hi there, I apologise if I am asking this in the wrong place, I a new member and searched for a similar question/answers but couldn't find it,

I have a 56 focus petrol 1.6, i have noticed the steering is very heavy, I checked tyre pressure and power steering fluids etc, I noticed some diesel models have steering settings e.g comfort sport etc, is there any way to lighten my steering?

Andy 1965
Check that the auxiliary belt is not slipping and also the colour of the power steering fluid. If it is very dark it may need changing.
NorthSussex
[quote name='Jamiemcl1984' timestamp='1339102478' post='186223']
Hi there, I apologise if I am asking this in the wrong place, I a new member and searched for a similar question/answers but couldn't find it,

I have a 56 focus petrol 1.6, i have noticed the steering is very heavy, I checked tyre pressure and power steering fluids etc, I noticed some diesel models have steering settings e.g comfort sport etc, is there any way to lighten my steering?
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]The adjustable steering I think is on the later cars above 1.8 Ltr with electric power steering.[/font][/size][/color]
Jamiemcl1984
Thanks for responding.

I will check the auxiliary belt/colour of fluid.

Do you think I should take it to a garage? I am a new driver so still learning as I go.

Andy 1965
If your'e not sure, take it to a mechanic. Just be careful if you are messing about in the engine bay, especially if the engine is running. Keep fingers, ties, etc. well away from moving parts, especially the auxiliary belt.
poshpawsfiesta
Make sure the steering is on comfort mode
Jamiemcl1984
I went into settings and it doesn't have the steering settings that allow me to put on comfort
NorthSussex
[quote name='Jamiemcl1984' timestamp='1339105268' post='186253']
I went into settings and it doesn't have the steering settings that allow me to put on comfort
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]That,s because the 1.6 doesn't have electric hydraulic steering.[/font][/size][/color]
poshpawsfiesta
The focus steering is quite heavy compared to most modern cars anyways as it was designed for a more sporty drive then the astra golf etc the focus has very wide tyres as standard and is quite heavy so will also make the steering heavier.

Full Colour Version: Ford Focus Steering
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.