Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heated Front Windscreen Failure On Driver's Side - Can Anybody Clarify On The Fault?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
GSM
Hi all,

I know this is a common fault and there's a tonne of threads here and elsewhere about the cause and the fix for it, but I'm still a little bit confused about where precisely the fault develops and how the fix works to alleviate the fault.

I posted this on the guide with the fix (http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/27470-ford-focus-06-heated-screen-drivers-side-failure-real-reason/page__st__15), but I guess nobody checks that often enough for me to get a reply any-time soon, so I'll post it here:

So, am I right to believe that the fault develops NOT in the ribbon itself, but in the wire which connects to the ribbon? And that the fix is to leave the ribbon intact and simply cut out and replace (via soldering) the wire connecting to the ribbon with a longer one?

Seems strange to me that the fault develops in the wire when the chafing action appears to happen on the ribbon and not the wire (according to the video in the first post, anyway).

I haven't yet taken the wipers etc off to have a look at what the problem with mine is, but I'm assuming its the same issue the rest of you are having, as it's the same symptoms (driver's side windscreen heating failing, passenger's side fine).

Thanks in advance for anybody who can clarify!
Stoney871
The best thing to do is to lift the scuttle panel and look at the connector for obvious damage.
It could be the ribbon or a snapped cable.
artscot79
the video is a load of rubbish the ribbons actually sit on top of those metal sections at either side notice the hole thats where the plastic stud that holds the ribbon in place should be they dont hang loose and they dont get touched by the wiper either they do get some slight corrosion from the weather so remove the panel and look for any corossion then gently clean
GSM
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1340482909' post='188681']
the video is a load of rubbish the ribbons actually sit on top of those metal sections at either side notice the hole thats where the plastic stud that holds the ribbon in place should be they dont hang loose and they dont get touched by the wiper either they do get some slight corrosion from the weather so remove the panel and look for any corossion then gently clean
[/quote]

Corrosion on the ribbon you mean?
artscot79
yes theres small pins that are open to the weather green corrosion would be evident on these after cleaning a small smear of grease will help protect it more

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.