Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Idle Speed On Mk2 1.6 Petrol?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
GSM
Just wondering from those of you who own mk2 focuses with 1.6L petrols what your idle speed is when you start the car?

When I started yesterday it was at 1200rpm. After a run to heat it up, it went to about 800rpm. Also, the needle seemed a bit shaky when I started it and for a wee while before it heated up properly and the engine sounded a bit Whitney, changing note now and again.

This sound normal? If not, probable causes???

EDIT: I obviously meant to write whiney, but I suppose the autocorrect on this occasion actually done a good job! Still means what I meant to say!
Stoney871
A good clean of the idle control valve may help.
GSM
[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1341093906' post='190117']
A good clean of the idle control valve may help.
[/quote]

So it IS too high?
johnS
[quote name='GSM' timestamp='1341107205' post='190131']
So it IS too high?
[/quote]

Nope not when it's cold. Mine goes to 1,800 rpm to heat up the catalytic converter faster
artscot79
1800 rpm is way too high the correct cold idle speed depends on outside conditions but is between 1100rpm and 1200rpm it should drop to just over 1000rpm within 30 secs of starting the car
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]JohnS will now be worried again, this time over his high revs on start up, what have you done Arthur? :huh: [/font][/size][/color]
artscot79
sorry but 1800rpm is way too high for the idle speed on start up what can i say i can only be honest
NorthSussex
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1341153854' post='190195']
sorry but 1800rpm is way too high for the idle speed on start up what can i say i can only be honest
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]That,s OK, I was only joking, I am sure you can guide John on a remedy, :D It' way above my pay grade. :lol: [/font][/size][/color]
johnS
[quote name='NorthSussex' timestamp='1341155723' post='190199']
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]That,s OK, I was only joking, I am sure you can guide John on a remedy, :D It' way above my pay grade. :lol: [/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

haha i'm actually not worried at all, it's always done it, maybe it's a bit too high but meh as I said it's always done it and ive not had a problem with it, once it's warm it's normal
NorthSussex
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1341171817' post='190263']
haha i'm actually not worried at all, it's always done it, maybe it's a bit too high but meh as I said it's always done it and ive not had a problem with it, once it's warm it's normal
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Great to hear John. You have obviously sorted things out and you can now enjoy your car. :) [/font][/size][/color]
johnS
[quote name='NorthSussex' timestamp='1341179918' post='190304']
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Great to hear John. You have obviously sorted things out and you can now enjoy your car. :) [/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

:ph34r:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615