Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Xenon Headlights
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
rhysd1
Hi there i was wondering if anyone could help me i have a 2008 (58) plate focus and want to upgrade the headlights to xenon headlights but i cant find them being sold anywhere?
Is anyone selling theirs or know where i could find them please?
Thanks
tomo2001
Better off with a HID conversion. Xenon's would be a major task, need headlight levellers and washers installed for starters just to make them road legal which probably means the expense of a new/second hand front bumper, plus painting. The list goes on................
salsheikh
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1341339553' post='190753']
Better off with a HID conversion. Xenon's would be a major task, need headlight levellers and washers installed for starters just to make them road legal which probably means the expense of a new/second hand front bumper, plus painting. The list goes on................
[/quote]

i think with a HID conversion you still require headlight levellers and washers installed. the MOT rules are changing so be careful in deciding which option to take. Try some different bulbs instead.
oilburner79
Try some halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs much brighter than standard
artscot79
avoid the hids the cops round my way are pulling cars now they must as said have the leveling and the washers mtec cosmos bulbs at 55w are as close to hids as you will get
Stoney871
[quote name='oilburner79' timestamp='1341343817' post='190776']
Try some halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs much brighter than standard
[/quote]

Aren't extreme brilliance listed for off road only?
I use ultra brilliance and they do the job nicely.
artscot79
extreme are 100w bulbs im sure the mtec come with good reviews ebay has thousands
Fastfordman
[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1341346521' post='190799']

Aren't extreme brilliance listed for off road only?
I use ultra brilliance and they do the job nicely.
[/quote]

Extreme brilliance were sold as road legal when I bought mine but now are listed as check with vehicle handbook instead on halfords website. Took mine out a few days ago as I am not sure what's now legal or not with the rule change so put the original ones backin for now.
Rh1no
Mtec Cosmos Blue 55w are the future :)
Paddy H
[quote name='Rh1no' timestamp='1341349701' post='190838']
Mtec Cosmos Blue 55w are the future :)
[/quote]

I second that, absolute smashing bulbs.
Rh1no
[quote name='Paddy H' timestamp='1341355521' post='190870']
I second that, absolute smashing bulbs.
[/quote]

Need to send the 100w bulbs back and they have agreed to give me the 55w legal ones instead. Then it will be the H1's for the main and with a bit of luck I will manage to sort the sidelights out :)
Mike77
Just to add my thoughts,,, I think the 'LAW' sucks. This debate is becoming more common, personally I cannot see the problem with hid kits, as long as they are fitted correctly and level in conjunction with the MOT test. Why the hell would you need headlight washers and a self levelling system with these but not with the original bulbs ??? Any sensible answers welcome... Yes, they are brighter, but surely that is a positive for night driving. I've been using these since they were first introduced, when you couldn't buy a set for 20 quid off eBay. And really wouldn't want to go back to the OEM equipment. To many pen pushers in this world, just sat there thinking of ways to piss people off, bring back common sense. If fitted correctly these lights are much safer than the bulbs they roll out of the factory with,,, grrr, rant over.
Rh1no
Fair comments Mike :)

Out of interest, are there garages out there who will fit these professionally?
rhysd1
I got told all id need to do is put a new wire into the plug and a earthing wire onto the shassy (dont know how to spell it) haha
Plus they look a lot nicer than the normal halogen headlights with different bulbs
Where could i buy them from? And is that definate about the mot's? My mates a mechanic so he would do the work for me is there much work to do to make them road legal?
Thanks
jgriff
Hey mate I've fitted a set of st xenons headlamps to my 08 mk2.5. I haven't gone to the expense of fitting washers or levellers and have had no problems with them. I've even fitted a set of 8000k bulbs in them and it flew through the mot. The only thing is i don't know how mot rules compare to those over here in Ireland but i certainly have had no problems with them or the police
Mike77
[quote name='Rh1no' timestamp='1341363419' post='190887']
Fair comments Mike :)

Out of interest, are there garages out there who will fit these professionally?
[/quote]
I suppose you could find a garage to fit these, but it really is a case of changing a bulb, the main thing is to have the checked to make sure they are level, so as not to blind oncoming drivers, which is the biggest gripe with most people.
Haz93
I'm in the process of fitting the bi xenon headlights, on some variants all the wires are in place, check the connector to the headlights and see if all 10 pins are occupied. If so the no more wiring should be needed. As for the legality, I have bought an st washer bottle unit with pumps and most of the hoses off eBay for 25. Still waiting to find the actual washer jets and covers and the hose to connect to the pump, which ford has quoted 250 for. There is a ballast and bulb kit on eBay from Canada if you don't manage to get a unit with them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170764918889?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D170764918889%26_rdc%3D1

My car wont need an mot for another 2 years so should be okay without the levellers, as long as they look okay and have washers I think I should be alright :S
artscot79
yeah till the plod decide to pull you mate i know of at least 6 people who have been given an order to have them removed or face a fine now they have to pay an mot garage to remove them and re mot the car personally i just dont get the fascination with them but each to there own.most garages wont fit them as they are a grey area
salsheikh
[quote name='Mike77' timestamp='1341363017' post='190885']
Just to add my thoughts,,, I think the 'LAW' sucks. This debate is becoming more common, personally I cannot see the problem with hid kits, as long as they are fitted correctly and level in conjunction with the MOT test. Why the hell would you need headlight washers and a self levelling system with these but not with the original bulbs ??? Any sensible answers welcome... Yes, they are brighter, but surely that is a positive for night driving. I've been using these since they were first introduced, when you couldn't buy a set for 20 quid off eBay. And really wouldn't want to go back to the OEM equipment. To many pen pushers in this world, just sat there thinking of ways to piss people off, bring back common sense. If fitted correctly these lights are much safer than the bulbs they roll out of the factory with,,, grrr, rant over.
[/quote]

Mike, the MOT rules changed as to many chavs to fit HID's which were not fitted and aligned properly and were bliding on coming drivers and causing accidents. i have been a victim of this and also work for a company in the Regulations field so do get to see how good/bad they are.
artscot79
n Europe and the many non-European countries applying ECE Regulations, HID headlamps may be installed only on vehicles (except motorcycles) with lens cleaning and automatic self-levelling systems. These systems are usually absent on vehicles not originally equipped with HID lamps. If a halogen headlamp is retrofitted with an HID bulb, an improper light distribution with illegal levels of glare will be produced and the headlamp's type approval or certification is no longer valid so the headlamp is no longer street-legal.a dirty lens will cause the beam to be impaired and glare hence why the washers are a necessity and the levelling ensures the lights do not sit high enough to blind other drivers normal bulb light patterns arent effected by dirty lenses in the same way and the glare is no where near as bad as hid bulbs. they are not technically brighter the light they produce is closer to that of daylight are they a positive personally no even when set up correctly and legal on some dark roads they are too bright impairing youre eyes like going from the dark to sudden bright light then back to the dark again.i havent been a fan and having txxts blind me with the bloomin things and there stupid 100w rally bulbs good riddance to them
Paul Zetec-S
I remember phoning Haynes once to see just how much they would charge to get 2 new xenon front units fitted just like the ST's and the guy said it would be 1500. I knew its be a lot but bloody hell lol!
Rh1no
Nearly as good as the quote I got for an aftermarket exhaust for my Zetec S...£1200 :/
Mike77
[quote name='salsheikh' timestamp='1341406601' post='190960']

Mike, the MOT rules changed as to many chavs to fit HID's which were not fitted and aligned properly and were bliding on coming drivers and causing accidents. i have been a victim of this and also work for a company in the Regulations field so do get to see how good/bad they are.
[/quote]
As I stated,,, if fitted and aligned correctly they are not a problem. Also if the washer system is to stop the beam pattern being disrupted then I have to disagree there. As I've had numerous cars with washers on the headlights, and they will NOT clean the whole lense, hence road grime remaining on parts of the light... Think of it like spraying water on your windscreen but not using the wipers to clear it off,,,, it just wouldn't work!!! I'm not in this for an argument, just so happens that I am a fan of these lights, I find my night time driving alot easier with these. And know for a fact that mine aren't dazzling anyone and my beam pattern is correct. I have personally been on the receiving end of poorly fitted headlights, and totally understand the implications of this, but to label all under this bracket is a little ignorant. I'm no boy racer, been there done that, I'm more interested in creature comforts these days lol. Again this is just my opinion, and not meant to rub anyone up the wrong way, each to their own.
rhysd1
Im in the same boat im not a boy racer who wants to look 'cool' to his friends i just want to have better vision of the road in front of me when driving at night as this is when i do most of my driving thanks to stupid hours at work...
I have a mate that is a mechanic so would happily level them for me i just cant find any being sold anywhere...does anyone know where i could pick these up from?
Thanks
artscot79
youre mate can level them but it wont stop the traffic cops pulling you for illegal lights or the mot inspector failing them.
i didnt explain right not all people with hids are boy racers but its them that usually cause the issues making people hate these lights blinding other drivers with nasty unset up lights is what i mean i agree that the legislation doesnt make sense mate i do but unfortunately we all have to stick to it wether we agree or not my mates golf was stopped he has to get the car lights changed and the car re motd then take the mot certificate to the station stating the headlights now meet legal requirements he sold his old lights when he fitted the hids all in all its a costly experience and hes well pxxsed as his mates havent been stopped..so far anyway

Full Colour Version: Xenon Headlights
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.