Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charge to diagnose fault on a KA following MOT
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Maintenance / Servicing / MOT Discussions
susie c
Hi
I'm new to this forum and know nothing about cars (found it via google).

My 2002 KA 1.3 has just failed it's MOT due to steering probs, as a ford dealership. They wanted 50 + VAT to diagnose the problem - is this normal? They've phoned back and said it'll be about 200 all in as it needed a new steering arm (?). It doesn't sound too pricey but I've never paid to have a fault diagnosed before! Any advice would be great.
stef123
[quote name='susie c' post='11917' date='Feb 12 2009, 03:37 PM']Hi

My 2002 KA 1.3 has just failed it's MOT due to steering probs, as a ford dealership. They wanted 50 + VAT to diagnose the problem - is this normal? They've phoned back and said it'll be about 200 all in as it needed a new steering arm (?). It doesn't sound too pricey but I've never paid to have a fault diagnosed before! Any advice would be great.[/quote]

personally unless its for warranty reasons i wouldnt take your car to the dealer. i would use a good independant garage. 50 to diagnose sounds about right for a dealer tbh. dealers are always dearer, they have bigger overheads to cover receptionists etc..
200 is probably a reasonable price at a dealers, bearing in mind all parts used will be genuine :)
SierraYankee99
[quote name='susie c' post='11917' date='Feb 12 2009, 03:37 PM']Hi

My 2002 KA 1.3 has just failed it's MOT due to steering probs, as a ford dealership. They wanted 50 + VAT to diagnose the problem - is this normal? They've phoned back and said it'll be about 200 all in as it needed a new steering arm (?). It doesn't sound too pricey but I've never paid to have a fault diagnosed before! Any advice would be great.[/quote]

Most dealers charge approx 1 hours labour for fault diagnosis (50+VAT would be about right for most). However, if subsequently you allow them to do the work found, if any, most will not charge for the diagnosis.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615