Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pollen Filter Change Nightmare
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
soulman123
So I got round to servicing the focus (1.8 04 petrol) everything went fine but the pollen filter change.

I got the panel off, pried it gently but the 2 plastic clips broke I had 2 more as the parts guy said I would need it. The black bacping of that clip would not attach as it looked like the bit you push it on to was mangled.

I cleaned the plastic and window like a surgeon. Put the new seal on. Put it all back together and it would not sit flush so rain would just flow in. I went back to ford for another seal and stuck it just along the front on the other one which is the back of the rubber part that supposed to sit flush on the windscreen so it sits a bit off the screen still, because of the thickness of the seal so I bought some all weather clear silicone. I've put a bead of that on it. looks quite tidy hope it keeps the rain out.

The parts guy said the housing sometimes warps and doesn't go back on properly which I think is my issue. A new one is £45 with no seal or clips. So I went the way of silicone at £3.

All in all not really happy with it but am confident it will hold the water out ... well I hope. If not I'll have to replace it all.

With all the rain I guess I will find out soon if the passenger floor gets wet.

I should have removed it all again used one seal in the correct place and see how it fitted but I though I'd try 2 seals and silicone.

I wasn't over impressed with the ford seal, didn't look fit for purpose.

I think I should buy another seal start again when the rain stops.

What do you think ?

if anyone could complicate a simple task its me lol.

on the brightside everything else went well :)

forgot to add the drivers side is not flush either just looked. When its dry I better silicone that aswell. Is there anything back there that will get wet or damaged if there's a gap ?

I hate having a good eye lol

popped a bit of plastic over it for the night, hopefully it will be dry to apply some silicone. odd that its not flush considering I did not touch that side unless the passenger side some how disturbed it.
stef123
its not the seal that keeps the water out, its the tray on the underside of the cover that does by diverting it.

the water gets between the tray and the cover and down onto the pollen filter - the new cover is a revised one.
artscot79
the seal as stef said doesnt seal it diverts water flow along the window and then into the gulleys the revised tray has an added piece that sits overthe pollen filter diverting the water i hate the mk1 pollen filter when they go wrong they go wrong all the silicone in the world wont change the fact that if the cover isnt covering the filter it will leak hopefully all is ok but if its warped you may need to order the revised one
soulman123
That's interesting I think mines must be the revised part as on the under of the plastic trim is a piece of plastic that sits above the pollen filter.

I had a feel around the car floor today for any wetness after a night of rain all is dry.

I did notice the driver side plastic trim has designed holes for some reason so putting silicone on that would be pointless ?

This design leaves the wiper linkage a bit exposed for weathering.
stef123
The old one has a tray bit as well, the new ones are revised though.
soulman123
Ahhh I think ill keep my eye on it during this heavy rain then replace it for peace of mind when its dry. Hope its not to dear other my blue peter badge and box will come out lol

Thanks for the info and help.

lol all this hassle and expense for a pollen filter.

enjoy the weekend all :)
stef123
[quote name='soulman123' timestamp='1341656608' post='191813']
Ahhh I think ill keep my eye on it during this heavy rain then replace it for peace of mind when its dry. Hope its not to dear other my blue peter badge and box will come out lol

Thanks for the info and help.

lol all this hassle and expense for a pollen filter.

enjoy the weekend all :)
[/quote]

you could try sealing the tray on the underside if need be, run silicone all the way round it

all the best

Full Colour Version: Pollen Filter Change Nightmare
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.