Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatic Headlight Sensor
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Pages: 1, 2
Haz93
Okay so does anyone know where the sensor is located, or can get any pictures / part numbers for it

Would also help if anyone has a wiring diagram.

The plan is to fit the sensor, believe it just plugs into the loom then fit the auto light switch and hope it works :S
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Auto Headlight and Windscreen wiper sensors are built into the rear view mirror.[/font][/size][/color]
coffeemonster
the sensor for the auto headlights/wipers is mounted onto the windscreen behind the cowling for the rear view mirror not on the mirror its self this will require a new windscreen if you are doing this mod as there is a mounting bracket on the screen that the sensor sits into you would also need a new rear veiw mirror as this also has a different fitment to the screen
Haz93
Got it fitted now :)

Didn't need a new windscreen, the sensor I brought from eBay came with the windscreen mount. Just used some locktight windscreen glue to attach it
clubber
[quote name='Haz93' timestamp='1345189125' post='201458']
Got it fitted now [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Didn't need a new windscreen, the sensor I brought from eBay came with the windscreen mount. Just used some locktight windscreen glue to attach it
[/quote]

Which sensor did you buy on eBay? I'm thinking of doing auto headlights/wipers to my car but need to get a list of parts together.
Haz93
You will need a light and rain sensor like this one :

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-MK5-Rain-Sensor-2002-2008-3S7T-17D547-AB-/180846468028?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1b4a1bbc"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-MK5-Rain-Sensor-2002-2008-3S7T-17D547-AB-/180846468028?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1b4a1bbc[/url]

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ford-Fiesta-MK5-Rain-Sensor-2002-2008-3S7T-17D547-AB-/00/s/MTQ5OVgxNjAw/$(KGrHqV,!rYE88g6(LOVBP,GtPMvt!~~60_12.JPG[/img]

Also the auto dimming rear view mirror too if you want to be able to hide all the wiring

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-ST220-MK3-2003-2007-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror-/110947152478?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d4f7325e"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-ST220-MK3-2003-2007-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror-/110947152478?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d4f7325e[/url]

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FORD-MONDEO-ST220-MK3-2003-2007-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqF,!ncE-)u!kK6oBPz107qnPQ~~60_12.JPG[/img]

Doesn't matter if its from a Focus 05-11 or Mondeo 04 - 11 maybe a Fiesta too.

As you can see the mirror mounting is different to the standard mirror. I got around this by unscrewing the metal plate in the auto dimming mirror mount and filing a grove in the two side prongs you can see in the picture. this will then allow the mirror to slide onto the standard mounting.

You will also need to be able to edit the GEM module, using the Guide by Preee and the ELM cable. Or pay a ford garage to do it (£75 an hour) average.

And lastly if you want the Auto lights to work you will need the auto light switch

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-2010-FORD-FOCUS-MK3-MK4-LIGHT-SWITCH-AUTO-/280733537630?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d05d55e"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-2010-FORD-FOCUS-MK3-MK4-LIGHT-SWITCH-AUTO-/280733537630?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d05d55e[/url]

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2004-2010-FORD-FOCUS-MK3-MK4-LIGHT-SWITCH-AUTO-/00/s/MTQ2OFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!iQE5fk!2tM2BOYKHCBY4!~~60_12.JPG[/img]

I will do a guide when I get the time.
Brigante
Things like this make me glad I got a ghia ;)
clubber
[quote name='Haz93' timestamp='1348694203' post='208576']
I will do a guide when I get the time.
[/quote]

Mate, if you could do a guide, that would be awesome. It would really help. Will this activate auto wipers too? Where does the wiring come from?
Haz93
Yeah I will get some pics and things together on the weekend and hopefully do a guide for next week.

The wiring should be there already. if you remove the interior light unit and unscrew the plastic bit around it, this comes off (can be hard to get back on as it clips into the metal bracket above) you should then be able to see the wiring loom for the interior light, and off this loom there should be a small loom taped to the headlining between this hole and the windscreen. on that small loom there will be two plugs ( both have 3 wires going to them) one for the auto dimming mirror (white plug) and the other for the sensor (black plug).

When I first saw it i thought there's no way just three wires is enough for light and rain sensor, but then it came to me that there is on positive one negative and one is a data cable that communicates with the GEM module (I'm not an electronic genius haha)
clubber
[quote name='Haz93' timestamp='1348749558' post='208632']
Yeah I will get some pics and things together on the weekend and hopefully do a guide for next week.
[/quote]

That would be awesome mate. What about the auto wipers? How do they work?
Haz93
Basically you know when you turn the wipers on to the intermittent setting with the adjustable speed, that is the auto setting when you have the sensor installed. The speed wheel is then used for the sensitivity of the sensor.
The wipers then will come on intermittent in light rain, slow on in medium rain and then fast on with heavy rain.
clubber
So basically, I buy the bits and, if I have the wiring, it's just plug and play?

I already have the modified ELM cable.

edit: just checked and I have the 2 plugs in the headlining
clubber
1 more question, if I have auto lights, when I unlock/lock the car, do the headlights come on if it's dark?
NorthSussex
[quote name='clubber' timestamp='1348757288' post='208643']
1 more question, if I have auto lights, when I unlock/lock the car, do the headlights come on if it's dark?
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ignition needs to be on then in low light the headlights come on, just unlocking the car will not turn the lights on.[/font][/size][/color]
btmaldon
No they wont. But you do have guide me home lights. When you switch everything off (leaving the lights set to auto), pull back the full beam switch once. The headlights will stay on for 30 seconds before shutting themselves down. Handy if you parked up in an unlit area.
clubber
[quote name='NorthSussex' timestamp='1348758997' post='208648']
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ignition needs to be on then in low light the headlights come on, just unlocking the car will not turn the lights on.[/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]
[quote name='btmaldon' timestamp='1348759314' post='208649']
No they wont. But you do have guide me home lights. When you switch everything off (leaving the lights set to auto), pull back the full beam switch once. The headlights will stay on for 30 seconds before shutting themselves down. Handy if you parked up in an unlit area.
[/quote]

Cheers guys, that would have been a nice feature to have.
clubber
I've ordered all the parts, can't wait for them to arrive.
clubber
Rear view dimming mirror has been mounted and works fine and auto light switch has been installed. Just waiting for the mount for the rain and light sensor to arrive and I will fit it later today (hopefully).
Haz93
Hi mate, sorry have not had much time to work on the guide. How did you mount the mirror, with the different mountings? Also just found out that my sensor mount is coming off the windscreen!!! I used the halfords locktite glue, which has not lasted very well.
I have read up abit and it seems windscreen repair places have a very strong glass glue which if you can get to one like autoglass etc.. They will charge about 10 to glue the sensor mount on
clubber
I filed down the inside edges of the 2 bits that stick out on the sides of the mirror mount and then just slid it on. Haven't received my sensor mount but have activated lights and wipers using the ELM cable and just tested it. All works as it should. Might go to Autoglass when my sensor mount arrives.
clubber
Just bought some window tint from [u][i][b][url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110718360887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1398wt_1139"]here[/url][/b][/i][/u] that I will be putting onto my front windscreen under the rear view mirror to give it an oem look like this:
Haz93
I was thinking of doing this, but the oem 'tint' is actually inbetween the layers of glass, so you will still see the mount and glue holding it on.
I think using black vinyl wrap instead of tint might work better too as it requires no water to apply, just heat. Also get no bubbles either.
clubber
Can you put a photo of yours up from the outside looking in?
Stoney871
How about using some flyeye film to replicate the patterned area?
clubber
The window tint I ordered on Friday arrived so I cut it to size and stuck it to the screen. Think it looks okay, covers the insides up pretty well.

Before:

After:
clubber
I'm quite happy with it all. £70 all in, can't complain. Big thanks to Haz93 for the heads up and help he has given me.
Teabags
I just received my mirror cowling and sensor, and now I've decided to not put them on! If anybody is interested pm me. Will post later in the for sale section.

Parts are off an focus ST.
Anthony Obrien
I can't get this to work on my st pre facelift has this been done on a pre facelift car
Haz93
@ clubber

Glad it's worked out well mate :)

@ Anthony

It should work on a pre face lift if you have all the parts and have activated it via ff2 software shown in Preee's guide
clubber
The window tint started to lift so I got some vinyl. A lot better. Cut it to size and stuck it onto the windscreen.
Haz93
Yeah I thought tint wouldn't be too good, from past experiences anyways.

What glue did you use for the sensor mount??
clubber
I didn't use glue. I put a big blob of blu tac onto the sensor and stuck it to the mirror casing. As there is not much room for manoeuvre in there the sensor is sandwiched between the windscreen and the casing. It seems to be holding.

Do your wipers come on automatically? My ones have to be woken by moving the scroll wheel. I think the sensor position needs adjusting.
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]If enough rain comes on the windscreen the wipers should come on automatically, if the wiper stalk is in the first position up then they should automatically vary depending on the rain level, also if the stalk is pulled back to set the rear wiper on this will also intermittently wipe and also wipe when reverse is selected.[/font][/size][/color]
Haz93
When I first glued the sensor to the screen and all of the sensor was in contact with the glass they worked fine without havering to wake them up :)
As the glue started to come off they needed to be woken, got to the point where it came off completely. I think it had something to do with the heated screen making the glue soft.
Now i have a wodge of aerospace grade tissue :P wedged behind like your bluetac, but i imagine the bluetac is better tbf
I might get some vinyl too as my black paper looks a bit silly ahaha
Brigante
Sorry lads gotta say again this makes me glad I got the ghia so mine came with as standard.
clubber
[quote name='Haz93' timestamp='1350579185' post='212329']
When I first glued the sensor to the screen and all of the sensor was in contact with the glass they worked fine without havering to wake them up :)
As the glue started to come off they needed to be woken, got to the point where it came off completely. I think it had something to do with the heated screen making the glue soft.
Now i have a wodge of aerospace grade tissue :P wedged behind like your bluetac, but i imagine the bluetac is better tbf
I might get some vinyl too as my black paper looks a bit silly ahaha
[/quote]

Did you push the front of the sensor directly onto the windscreen? My sensor isn't touching the screen, I have left a tiny gap. Do you think this is why it doesn't work properly?
Stoney871
I seem to recall that on a factory fit there is a small gel spacer between the sensor and the screen.
clubber
[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1350592618' post='212401']
I seem to recall that on a factory fit there is a small gel spacer between the sensor and the screen.
[/quote]

I have the gel bit on the sensor but is the gel part supposed to actually touch the windscreen?
Haz93
Yeah it's ment to be pushed fully against the screen for the wipers to work. That's why the mount is glued on as it needs to be really strong to hold all the pressure. Also there should be no bubbles or gaps to be most effective
Think I might do a bit of research into windscreen glue :P
clubber
[quote name='Haz93' timestamp='1350593965' post='212404']
Yeah it's ment to be pushed fully against the screen for the wipers to work. That's why the mount is glued on as it needs to be really strong to hold all the pressure. Also there should be no bubbles or gaps to be most effective
Think I might do a bit of research into windscreen glue :P
[/quote]

When you look at a car that has auto wipers already on it, the sensor doesn't touch the windscreen
Haz93
If its fitted from factory then it may look like I doesn't as it's done very professionally but I guaranty they should be pressed against the window mate
clubber
[quote name='Haz93' timestamp='1350598533' post='212424']
If its fitted from factory then it may look like I doesn't as it's done very professionally but I guaranty they should be pressed against the window mate
[/quote]

Didn't know that. I will adjust it later and see how it goes.
clubber
Adjusted it, a little better now, not perfect though.
k13r4n
[quote name='Brigante' timestamp='1350579899' post='212333']
Sorry lads gotta say again this makes me glad I got the ghia so mine came with as standard.
[/quote]

Same here Charlie
clubber
[quote name='Brigante' timestamp='1350579899' post='212333']
[/quote]
[quote name='k13r4n' timestamp='1350665796' post='212520']
Same here Charlie
[/quote]

I have an ST :P
k13r4n
[quote name='clubber' timestamp='1350666047' post='212522']

I have an ST :P
[/quote]

Dick :-P lol always 1 I'm wanting to put tendons in could u do me and haz93 a favour have a rummage and upload photos of your leveling module/sensors so we can see where they go please
Haz93
Haha might have trumped us there :P although I much prefer 40 mpg than 20 :P but doouble the mpg means half the bhp :(

Would be helpful if you could get a few quick snaps of the front and rear levelling sensors in place, I know where the control module is located as mine is now plugged in :D up under the dash. Although I would like to know how its mounted to the two holes where it locates behind the headlight switch.
clubber
I don't measure in miles per gallon, I use smiles per gallon :D

Just explain exactly where you want me to photograph
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]If you have the windscreen replaced on a car that has factory fit auto wipers and headlights, the windscreen fitting company must have knowledge on fitting the sensor, may be worth a cheeky call for info. :) [/font][/size][/color]
Anthony Obrien
I get 30 mpg in my st and I have 330 bhp lol

Full Colour Version: Automatic Headlight Sensor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.