Full Version: Dmb Gel Overlays
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
artscot79
any advice on fitting them to get a good bond never dont need them falin off
Lenny
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1342280647' post='193482']
any advice on fitting them to get a good bond never dont need them falin off
[/quote]

before you remove them from their backing warm them with a hair dryer then stick them in place and warm again with the hairdryer mate.
maybe plug the hair dryer in to an extension lead.
then upload some pictures of them fitted.
artscot79
cheers will do opted for the green ford logo as my cars tonic blue the red one looks better on darker colours anythings better than the original
artscot79
as requested pics with the dmb overlays on all in all an easy process and they stuck really easily only issue was i wasnt happy with the silver carbon wrap so i changed it to black as you can see added new rear led number plate bulbs and new xenon gas headligghts and fogs
salsheikh
looking good Arthur
artscot79
limited budget with a new baby due soon so trying to do what i can with what i have almost had my ashtray again but it went for £64.00 for a used one aaaargh ill get one
james132
The badge on the steering wheel matches the dash lights nicley ;)
Stoney871
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1342707466' post='194729']
limited budget with a new baby due soon so trying to do what i can with what i have almost had my ashtray again but it went for 64.00 for a used one aaaargh ill get one
[/quote]

Kind of makes me feel guilty that I have one on the way.
Sorry buddy ( :P)
Stoney871
Look at this on eBay:

Ford Focus RS ST Carbon Fibre Ashtray - Mint condition!

http://bit.ly/MaKx81
artscot79
its a relisting i actually offered him £50 the other day when there were no bids he had it starting at £55.00 and he refused the offer ill try again but my limit is £50 i cant justify anymore on a 2nd hand ashtray
Stoney871
I had that with someone with a radio once.
I offered him 90 and he insisted the auction continue.
I eventually won the auction for 60, I bet he was crying as he walked to the post office.
:D
Lenny
[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1342727093' post='194864']
I had that with someone with a radio once.
I offered him £90 and he insisted the auction continue.
I eventually won the auction for £60, I bet he was crying as he walked to the post office.
:D
[/quote]

:lol: little tear drop stains on the package when you recieved it clive? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoney871
[quote name='Lenny' timestamp='1342768123' post='194972']

:lol: little tear drop stains on the package when you recieved it clive? :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
Are tears yellow?
:P
artscot79
rub it in lol
Stoney871
His loss my gain. :D
Stoney871
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1342715550' post='194784']
its a relisting i actually offered him 50 the other day when there were no bids he had it starting at 55.00 and he refused the offer ill try again but my limit is 50 i cant justify anymore on a 2nd hand ashtray
[/quote]
Did you bid on this one again?
Got mine through this morning, can't decide whether to carbon wrap it or not.
Comments please guys.
artscot79
sold plus postage for again over 50 pounds the guy i was bidding against just kept going and going he wanted it and was willing to pay whatever to get it so i gave up a new one is 64 pounds from ford so im not paying that much for a 2nd hand one
Stoney871
Fair one mate.
Anyway, not meaning to kick you while you're down but do you reckon I should wrap mine or not?
artscot79
i would wrap it if im honest it looks much nicer with the rest of the dash if its the usual grey colour however if its silver ide leave it as it is too much wrap starts to look tacky i like things to blend
Stoney871
Well my fascia and gear surround is wrapped but my demister switch panel isn't.
Didn't want to do too much carbon.
The ashtray is same colour as the standard plastic.

http://bit.ly/Lyi9uU
GSM
Crazy prices for a piece of plastic ashtray... afraid I wouldn't pay anywhere near that amount - even Clive's bargain price seems a bit unreal to me.

There MUST be a quick, cheap DIY alternative to this. How difficult can it be to make one of those ashtrays yourself, really?

Anyway, I like the look of the gel overlays. Just bought myself the steering wheel ones as they look great in green with the green lighting in the cabin. Haven't gotten the outside overlays yet though - although I reckon the green will also look great against the panther black paint.
Stoney871
It's surprising how much engineering goes into making that little cubby.
Lenny
[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1342881706' post='195358']
It's surprising how much engineering goes into making that little cubby.
[/quote]

i reckon teh process goes like: Bish, Bash 'Bosh,, £90 ... thank ya
artscot79
keep it standard stoney that way it blends equally
Stoney871
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1342883030' post='195365']
keep it standard stoney that way it blends equally
[/quote]
Pretty much my thoughts.
I didn't want to overdo the carbon, just subtle accents.
artscot79
ive seen a few totally carboned up and it looks tacky and wrong ive done the black carbon on the stereo surrond gear surround interior light surround and gglkovebox handle leaving the chrome on the gear surround and the silver inserts on the wheel etc
Stoney871
Hopefully the Missus and work will allow me time to fit it tomorrow.
;)
artscot79
its a 10 min job youve got the how to it really is that simple
Stoney871
Cheers bud, will report back when job done.
Thanks for the advice and input.
artscot79
the burntout car didnt have an ashtray in it did it lol

Full Colour Version: Dmb Gel Overlays
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.