Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird Knocking Noise. ????
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Jase25064342
Hi there, new on here so be nice lol
I've got a 2004 ST170. An I've noticed for quite some time, there's been a muffled knocking noise coming from driverside front wheel. This only happens if im on a full lock. Now before you say it. It's got brand new CV joints on both sides, new wishbones both sides an new anti roll drop links both sides, as well as new under chassis strut bar. Not really sure what it could be, unless maybe shock has gone, but there's no sign of leakage, it's seems fine whilst in a straight line an no problem when opposite lock is on. Don't wanna take it to a ford garage, cause they don't seem to know the difference between a ford and a house brick. Any help or ideas would be appreciated
Thanks
Stoney871
How are your springs?
Jase25064342
They look okay mate, had wheels off this morning to re paint calipers, had a general nose around an a feel an everything seems fine, no rust or rattles.
Stoney871
Knocking will be something connected to the suspension.
Culprits are usually cv joints, coil springs, suspension ball joint, anti roll bar, bushes, drop links, strut top,
Does the noise happen when turning the wheel when stationary? If so most likely springs or strut mount.
As you've done the cv joints that narrows it down.
Take the wheel off and use a pry bar to check for slack on all joints.
ajt
Have you checked all the bolts for tightness on the bits replaced? When car jacked up, hands at 12 and 6 on front wheel and then try wobbling the wheel, again at 3 and 9. Any movement at all. Might be worth comparing with other side (don't try to be to strong arm about it, quite often a gentle rock will give better feed back.
martyntdci
[quote name='ajt' timestamp='1342974659' post='195571']
Have you checked all the bolts for tightness on the bits replaced? When car jacked up, hands at 12 and 6 on front wheel and then try wobbling the wheel, again at 3 and 9. Any movement at all. Might be worth comparing with other side (don't try to be to strong arm about it, quite often a gentle rock will give better feed back.
[/quote]

wheel bearing......
Stoney871
[quote name='martyntdci' timestamp='1342983011' post='195598']

wheel bearing......
[/quote]

A wheel bearing will be a buzzing or rattling sound.
A knocking noise is a symptom of suspension or steering joints.
btmaldon
Top mount may have play.
martyntdci
i know the signs of wheel bearing, like a loud drooning noice..... i was just quoting what ajt had said in his last part of responce
ajt
I never said wheel bearing?
martyntdci
you was describing how to test tho...

Full Colour Version: Weird Knocking Noise. ????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.