Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vibrating noise from turbo
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
stuarthunt
When I accelerate in my Focus 1.6TDCi and the turbo kits in there is a strange vibration noise like metal vibrating against metal. Does anyone know what is causing this?
Steve_d
Mate, if you seriously suspect there's any noise coming from the turbo you really shouldnt drive it anymore, get it towed to a garage - you never know when the next rev will be the last!, a turbo going can destroy an engine, hopefully its not the turbo though and just something like a loose exhaust cover!
stuarthunt
[quote name='Steve_d' post='12350' date='Feb 16 2009, 09:26 PM']Mate, if you seriously suspect there's any noise coming from the turbo you really shouldnt drive it anymore, get it towed to a garage - you never know when the next rev will be the last!, a turbo going can destroy an engine, hopefully its not the turbo though and just something like a loose exhaust cover![/quote]
It only seems to happen sometimes but I will get this looked at asap. Thanks for advice
stuarthunt
Found this on a website so hopeguly it is this rather than the turbo failing.
On 1.6TDCI the aluminium turbo to intercooler pipe can split. It cracks in two places in opposite directions emanating from the "start" and "stop" of the upper bracket weld. Fractures are of a fatigue nature resulting from vibration ,the bracket being rigidly attached to the engine.
Steve_d
Good find, i hope your right, let us know :)

Full Colour Version: Vibrating noise from turbo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615