Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knock From Front Of Car
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
ChrisH
I wonder if anyone can offer advice.... I have a knocking noise coming from under the front of the car, that only happens when braking, with hard or soft braking... It definitely sounds like a metal knock/Clunk.

I have had it looked at and mechanic said nearside controll arm balljoint was worn, so I replaced the whole control arm assembly, which also showed the rear bush was shot at. the noise was still there, but much reduced in intensity and frequency. I had a look at the other side, and the rear bush also looked worn, so today I replaced the offside control arm assembly, and the bush looked more worn than the other side.

The knock noise however is still there..... Again intensity a little reduced, and frequency. The previous mechanic mentioned the antirollbar bushes were OK, but he did not remove the undershield to physically inspect them, just did it by touch when on a ramp.

Has anyone any ideas what this could be. Its still only there under light or hard braking, and its a definite clunk noise. If it was hard braking then I would have thought something thats being hit, as loads are transferred to the front, but there surely cant be that much load transfer under light braking. I was thinking maybe an engine mount, but one has recently been removed, as the CamBelt was changed, and the offside engine mount has to be removed to do this.

Could the caliper mounting bolts be a little loose, or should be be suspecting anti rollbar bushes??

Dont want to start chucking money at this to be honest, so would welcome any advice anyone has....

Cheers
artscot79
ive had new wishbones and cv jpints ford have went over the front and its just passed an mot and the guy was thorough also the drop links have been done brakes and calipers checked to no avail ive given up till it gets worse even the master tech test drove it and had it on the ramps he said just to drive it as the braking is fine and straight no movement in wheels or disks etc and there was nothing out of alignment as it was checked on the 4 wheel machine
ChrisH
Thanks Artscot. So you have the same issues?? Forgot to add also replaced the droplinks as well. Front disks and pads replaced about 3 months ago. No steering issues, or braking issues like you, just intermittantly this odd metallic clunk under braking.
Tracking does need doing, as steering wheel a bit to the left when driving stright. Not checked CV joints, but there no clicking when on full lock. I have noticed (forgot to mention :wacko: ) a very slight quiet clunk very very occasionally when going over a bump, sometimes when brakes on as well. Did Ford check your anti rollbar bushes??
qtcbd
I'm probably gonna be wrong but sounded really similar to when I had my clio sport.... started to clunk every time I put breaks on soft or hard etc turned out to be an engine mount block...
artscot79
engine mounts all ok and the car was just through an mot the other day and trust me the guy was hauling at the suspension and checking everything he found no issues either so im just gonna leave it
ChrisH
Just out of interest, what year is your car... Mine is a late 56 plate. I feel the same as you, but its damn annoying all the same. Only thing i can possibly think of is loose pads, or something with suspension top mounts maybe. I an sure these have a rubber bush in there.... Its odd that its gone from quite loud most of the time, to very intermittant now, after replacing the wishbones....
ChrisH
Just out of interest, what year is your car... Mine is a late 56 plate. I feel the same as you, but its damn annoying all the same. Only thing i can possibly think of is loose pads, or something with suspension top mounts maybe. I an sure these have a rubber bush in there.... Its odd that its gone from quite loud most of the time, to very intermittant now, after replacing the wishbones....
artscot79
january 2006 on a 55 plate i doubt its the top suspension strut bushes as theres no movement in the strut it is annoying mines intermittent sometimes it does it sometimes it doesnt yet its only on light braking pads are okay as well
ChrisH
Its a bloody mystery... My brother in law has also asked around his mechanic colleguree, and their mates, but noone has a clue, after knowing whats been replaced/checked. Will just have to live with it, cant keep chucking cash at it... BTW, is yours petrol or diesel artscot? Went all way to work today, not a sound until i got off m-way. Onway home same again, but sometimes knock quite loud, sometimes not....
artscot79
petrol mate mines the same as youres i might be getting the strut bush done in the next week so ill report back if theres any diffrence
ChrisH
Which one is the strut bush? (sorry for sounding thick). is it the top mount?
Hope it works, let me know, if you dont mind.... My mechanic brother in law is off to talk to one of his mates, who works for ford, see if my local dealer has heard of this problem, because apart from these top mounts, I have no idea what it could be..... Its obviously something moving when loads are being transfered, unless (clutching some straws), its something in the pedal box.....

With yours being petrol, does seem to rule out engine mounts, as they will be different for diesels....
artscot79
the top mounts yes its not the pedal box as i can hear it from the passenger side only ill let you know what happens
ChrisH
Thanks for that. Odd, i can hear my noise seeming to be coming from both sides randomly. Also looked in the haynes manual, and i may be wrong, but it does look like the top mount is integral to the shock unit....
Haz93
Not really able to help but I have noticed a clunk / knocking noise in my car, seems to come from the front end, sounds like its the lower steering joint through the floor.
I only ever hear it when pulling off from a junction on a sharp steering angle and sometimes on breaking into corners.
Only a faint noise and has no apparent effect on the car
Mines a 60 plate from early 2011 with 30000 on the clock
ChrisH
Guys.... Just an update. brother in law and I poured over the manual, trying to suss this out, and came across a lower engine mount, called a lower engine torque rod/movement limiter link. Its attached to the subframe and gearbox. As this happens under braking, and therefore is probably due to weight being moved, we got the car up on stands this morning. brother in law put his hand up just behind the engine splash panel underneath, and immediately pulled out around a 1/3 of this bush. It was all generally oily and soft rubber. Going to replace this link, and see if it cures it. I dont have a manual for a petrol car, but it may be worth checking as well.
artscot79
ive already been told that the strut mounts for petrol and diesel are the same only the springs that are different so the mounts are possible also that if a pad is sticking it will make the car think that one wheel isnt holding kicking in the abs which can cause the thump as technically one of the pads is already in contact with the disk before the other side i dont have that rod so i wont imagine it was that
ChrisH
Well replaced the rear torsion link today. Wehn underneath, there was def play in the bush, as the engine could be rocked, and the rod was moving around. Pig to change, but now the engine is rock solid, and absolutely no play in it. unfortunately....... its not cured the knock under braking. Still the same, variable pitch, seems to come from either side, and sometimes where a transmission tunnel would beif you get my drift. Occ feel it through the brake pedal, when it tends to be a louder clunk.

Just thought I would add to my tale of woe. Utterly stumped now.....
artscot79
it could be simple if any of the brakes stick just a tad then the knock could be the a.b.s as one piston is stuck against the disk the other is free the a.b.s for that moment believes the free wheels sliding and you get the knock
ChrisH
Yeah. I may pull the fuses for the abs, and then take.it for a drive... If no knock its either a faulty abs sensor or brake issue i would have thought. There are 2 fuses for the abs though, does anyone know which one i should pull to disable it temporary, or should i pull both? At least i know its defo not a steering or suspension issue now
ChrisH
Seem to recall this starting after i replaced a rear caliper, and did a complete fluid change. Haynes didnt mention any special procedures for changing fluid with regards to abs at all. Is there any way of testing abs systems or sensors?
artscot79
from what i understand its not an abs fault mate its just effecting the abs mine stopped after i got a sticky passenger brake caliper sorted the ford tech sussed it out quickly and stated that for that brief moment as i release the pedal the brake had stuck but the other was free making the abs think that the free wheel was slipping
ChrisH
Is yours now sorted then.... If it is, then im happy you got it sorted. Hope its the same for mine. Giving the brakes a through going over wss the next logical step . Reason ive ignored then is that new front disks and pads were fitted in may, to cure judder, it was a warped.front disk. New rear pads, and a rear caliper in june + complete fluid change. I will let you know what i find....

Ps my noise is when appling brakes though, not when releasing, and its sometimes a couple of seconds after appling them. Do hope its the same issue, im about ready to park it on a cliff and release the handbrake
artscot79
same issue mate
ChrisH
Thanks artscot... Would you mind if I asked a couple more questions?? This issue is driving me mental.... :angry: :angry:

Have you been 'knock' free on braking since the ford tech sorted the caliper out?
Did you hear the noise just from the passenger side, or was it variable from both sides, and was the pitch variable sometimes soft, sometimes like someone has hit the bulkhead...
Just for interests sake, what made the mechanic check for a sticky caliper? You mentioned in a previous post that ford had checked the brakes, and did he just lube up the caliper guides.
Been paying more attention to the braking today, and I have noticed that sometimes the pedal is a bit softer than other times, when its very hard and right at the top.
artscot79
knock free it was just passenger side and yes sometimes it was soft sometimes louder he took the caliper off and checked lubed cleaned up everything greased the guides etc and all was good after that he did say one of the guides was a bit rusty and cleaned it all up
ChrisH
Thanks alot artscot. I appreciate your time.

Will get on and remove both front calipers and give them a good cleaning and relube the guides. I will be a little unhappy if thats the issue, as the new front brakes and disks were fitted by a garage, so they have obviously not cleaned the guides or used the wrong grease. Brother in law fitted new rear caliper and pads, and I know he lubes the calipers, as he had little packets of bosch brake grease......
andymac1
seems like i've the same problem, got the car up on axle stands and got a mate to put it in gear and let the clutch out rev to about 2000 then clutch in and brake gently, doing that replicates the knocking that i've been getting while driving, only managed a quick look tonight and although the engine jumps quite a bit when he gently brakes and it makes the noise, i couldnt find the cause, dont think its a brake problem though, gonna try have a look tomorrow
ChrisH
We thought it was engine movement. There was some movement before we replaced the rear gearbox mount/torsion bar. There is no movement in engine now.
ChrisH
Sorry to resurrect this......

finally got around to checking out the brakes. The front guides all looked OK, and calipers moved fine.Rears also looked OK, and all correctly lubed up. Recleaned the front caliper guides, and regreased the guides, with the correct brake grease.... Also noted that the middle section of the exhaust heat shield was hanging off as well, so pulled that off, as it was making clanking noises.
unfortunately its still doing it :angry: :angry:

Its a little softer now, and not as frequent. I do suspect its some kind of pad knock, but cant for the life of me think whats causing it. I have had a think of the timeline to this, and suspect it appeared after the rear pads, and offside rear califer were replaced. I also renewed the brake fluid at this time as well. Could renewing the fluid have caused some issue with the ABS?? I have also noted that when its not doing it, the pedal is very hard, as I would expect for new pads all round, and new front disks. When it does make the knock, the pedal is that little bit softer. Could I have a lazy piston, or something like that (is that even a diagnosis :unsure: ), and how would I check which one it is. I would be fairly sure its coming from the fronts, as the noise is def from the front. Suppose the only way to really check is to dismantle the caliper and check the seals etc.
penta72
i have the same problem for over a year now, changed track rod ends , top struts bush and mount , and sure ive done drop links - seems even worse now even though just done the struts - feel like just setting fire to it ....... doing my head in .- it knocks like hell if i blip the gas in 3rd on and off jerking the car and engine or sometimes when letting the clutch in first and second gear i was thinking engine mounts or lower engine/gearbox mount ?? -but the noise/knocking/clunk deffinately comes from both sides of the front of the car wheel/suspension area.
artscot79
check the back of the disks for a lip or scoring clear sign of a lazy piston
penta72
I will have a check again but can't see it being that as mine does have abs or ever had a hard or soft brake petal , knocks all the time when in neutral free wheeling or in gear driving along braking and not even touching the pedals free wheeling again , am proper stumped - thanks for your reply by the way .....hopefully I'll find it before I throw in the towel and get rid , shame as mine only got 67k on the clock with many years of life left but totally frustrated with the knocking from both front sides of the car .....
penta72
Doesn't have abs that was meant to say , sorry.
artscot79
your issue sounds like front droplinks or front anti roll bar bushes
ChrisH

Sorry to ressurect, just wanted to feedback on eventual solution to this....  Noise actually went away on its own, so I put it down to a sticky piston, that had finally moved beyond the sticky bit. Recently as I have previously posted had issues with the handbrake, and the car started to make this noise again, and after investigation, we found that the whole issue was due to a faulty rear caliper, that was only fitted June last year. It seems that its not been pulling the handbrake on properly, and the pads were unevenly worn as well. (Probably what was causing the clunk). This however has stretched the N/S handbrake cable, as this is the only one that was doing anything.  So we have had to fit a new rear caliper (under warrenty thank god), and its going in to local garage this week for a new handbrake cable, as it really needs ramps to do this.  Hopefully that will be it, as since fitting the new calpier, no brake clunk now.

garage also sorting the injector seal at the same time.

We live and learn, but thanks for the advice everyone.  hope this solution helps someone else.....

artscot79
mine went away and hasnt returned in 4 months or so i did have new pistons fitted to the rear drums so it ties in with what you say ill know if it returns to have the rears looked at
wase16ll
i know your sorted now, but just a heads up

had a similar problem on a vw, turned out to be the brake pads were moving within the caliper, took me forever to pin down as looking and feeling by hand you only got a miniscule amount of movement, but made a quite audible but inconsistant, knock...cured it by fitting a different brand of pads, which were that little bit more of a snug fit.....just wondering if the cure you found was inadvertantly down to just changing brand of pad.
artscot79

ford did mention some types or brands of paad have been the cause in the past but i had original ford then mintex and it was the same with both but it is always a possibility

ChrisH
Pads i have in now are not ford, i think they are girling, but they are the same brand as the last lot.....
artscot79
Strangely warranty direct told me that 47% of all claims are front or rear suspension related on the focus 31% are knocks etc the dealers cannot diagnose a common knock from the mk2 and ive done a few now is the heatshield that goes from the lower bulkhead slap bang in the centre to under the car that sounds like its coming from the suspension but it isnt
andymac1

Never found where my knocking noise when I brake is coming from, it still does it, checked everything I could think of, passed the mot ok so not a safety issue, just annoying.

hangover

i have had the same problems

and all i had done was to change the anti-roll bar link arms

and the knocking stoped

you could try it

kev

andymac1

I'll have a look next time I'm under the car, checked everything I could think of last time for any play and none was found.

hangover

that was one thing i found to when i got hold of the bar i to could not feel and play in them

Full Colour Version: Knock From Front Of Car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615