Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Private Registration Plates
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Chat
.Ryan
Hiya guys,

I've wanted my own private registration plate for ages now, and with me trying to build up my credit rating, I found one with a 0% interest rate online and I've gone for that (works out at about £30 per month).

Do most people on here have private registrations? Is it pretty straight forward to get it all changed over?
Preee
I have my own plate , it was very easy , just brought it sent documents off and a week and a half late i got the documents , plates and tax disc. Changed it over from one car to another , that cost me 100 a year and a half ago , very simple to do.
iNath
Very simple to do :)
JonM
Yep, simple to assign. When changing cars, quicker to retain the registration then assign to new car as well.
Paddy H
Where are you getting it from Rh1no? Im after one myself but alot are pretty expensive however guys do i trust an ebay seller who sells lots of these or go with DVLA?
TDCiST
I got mine from DVLA was do easy!!
Preee
[quote name='Paddy H' timestamp='1346713479' post='204826']
Where are you getting it from Rh1no? Im after one myself but alot are pretty expensive however guys do i trust an ebay seller who sells lots of these or go with DVLA?
[/quote]
I got mine from capeplates.co.uk very good and very quick.
.Ryan
[quote name='Paddy H' timestamp='1346713479' post='204826']
[/quote]

Getting mine from National Numbers mate.
Millsy1
ive been looking at getting my very own personal plate myself as well. i keep checking for one that will suit me and what i need. my dad has brought one himself (probs why i want one) and his was straight forward.

even tho his insurance company charged him for changing his plates and updating there docs :unsure:
fordieashx
Also got mine from DVLA and so has other members of my family. And very easy to change over etc. :)
SteveandMichelleFocus
Very easy to do, just remember when you change cars (which I expect you won't do soon) there is extra charges I just paid 80 to have it transferred
.Ryan

Am I right in thinking I have two years to change it over? Was planning to get it sorted at the end of the month but got a lads holiday to pay for...
Preee
[quote name='Rh1no' timestamp='1348188274' post='207563']

Am I right in thinking I have two years to change it over? Was planning to get it sorted at the end of the month but got a lads holiday to pay for...
[/quote]The time you get to hold the licence depends on how much you pay , for example 105 pounds will hold the plate for one year , if you want to hold it longer you have to pay more.
Lenny
wish we had the option of private plates in southern ireland :(
Preee
[quote name='Lenny' timestamp='1348214261' post='207569']
wish we had the option of private plates in southern ireland :(
[/quote]
I don't know the answer , but what other countries do not allow Private plates?
jimrex
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1348223740' post='207596']
I don't know the answer , but what other countries do not allow Private plates?
[/quote]

I believe Germany doesn't allow them, although you can select the letters on it to be your initials.

I've also heard that countries like Australia and the US aren't as tight on the combination of letters and numbers as in the UK, so in theory it can say anything! That might depend on which state you're in though.

I keep looking for my perfect one, but my initials are JAG and therefore the limited few that are still available are a fortune <_<
kevin lancelott
Got mine from DVLA and its already gone from one car to another.
ManxKat
We can't have private plates either :( Though you can have a cherished number from the Isle of Mans list. They aren't very good though as they have to contain MAN and similar. Seen a few good ones that look like Fast Man, Maniac etc
Up until this year it was about £67 for a cherished number. But once the government cottoned out to the fact they could make some money they now have them on a scale of charges, and the good ones cost thousands. Wish I had kept mine now :(
Stoney871
How about NOTAMAN?
ManxKat
no[quote name='Stoney871' timestamp='1348581367' post='208310']
How about NOTAMAN?
[/quote]

Not quite as glamorous as my example Stoney! You need to incorporate some numbers into it too.
Stoney871
Not4men?
.Ryan
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1348211750' post='207567']
The time you get to hold the licence depends on how much you pay , for example 105 pounds will hold the plate for one year , if you want to hold it longer you have to pay more.
[/quote]

I pay monthly for the plate, not sure :/
Preee
Just got my Plate on my new car , took three weeks , for the documents to come through removing it from my old car, luckily i have a DVLA office close by and 5 minutes in there and the plates were ready to go back on.

Downside is Hastings charged me 20 pound for "Admin" fee's" , never had this before , when i have changed over, and for that Hastings insurance will not be on my next renewel !
.Ryan
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1349777474' post='210418']
Just got my Plate on my new car , took three weeks , for the documents to come through removing it from my old car, luckily i have a DVLA office close by and 5 minutes in there and the plates were ready to go back on.
[/quote]

I have the plates and the documents, is it jus a case of going down with your insurance and MOT cert and £80?
Pete80
[quote name='Rh1no' timestamp='1349824754' post='210583']
I have the plates and the documents, is it jus a case of going down with your insurance and MOT cert and £80?
[/quote]

And your V5 mate, they will send that off for you, normally comes backs after a week or two with your new reg on
.Ryan
[quote name='Pete80' timestamp='1350101955' post='211105']
And your V5 mate, they will send that off for you, normally comes backs after a week or two with your new reg on
[/quote]

Good stuff, will be sorting this on payday :)
Preee
My plate was on retention ,as i paid 105 to have it removed from my old car, so i did not have to pay the 80 pound.I did not need to take my insurance doc with me.
GSM
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1349777474' post='210418']
Downside is Hastings charged me 20 pound for "Admin" fee's" , never had this before , when i have changed over, and for that Hastings insurance will not be on my next renewel !
[/quote]

Insurance companies are going nuts with these!!!!!

I've paid £20 for every mod I've declared over the past year with Admiral - first the mk2.5 spoiler (eh, what? It's a standard Ford part... most people wouldn't be able to tell it had been changed... probably only the people on this forum), then the parking sensors (again, what? These are a safety feature which reduces my liability to Admiral, so if anything I should be getting a refund on my premium!!!), and then finally for my DRLs (again, safety feature - statistics show they can reduce daytime accidents by something stupid like 50%).

I just smiled and paid it for now, but come renewal day I'll be telling them that I want it all back before I'll even consider going with them again.
.Ryan
Lucky for me my insurance doesn't charge for this.
Brigante
[quote name='Rh1no' timestamp='1350943460' post='213070']
Lucky for me my insurance doesn't charge for this.
[/quote]

Who's your insurer?
Paddy H
The amount iv had with luck with instances, put me off alot of things. When i tinted my windows to FACTORY Ford standards, LV cancelled my insurance as they don't approve of modifying. Scam..

I have found a plate i want from the DVLA site, £250 i assume £80 on top for fee, would there be an other fee's hidden?
iNath
[quote name='Paddy H' timestamp='1351090541' post='213367']
I have found a plate i want from the DVLA site, £250 i assume £80 on top for fee, would there be an other fee's hidden?
[/quote]

The DVLA £250 [i][b]includes[/b][/i] the £80 fee so that's all you'll pay ;)
paddyc1988
Where is the best place to get custom number plates then?
.Ryan

New Reg is very good.

Full Colour Version: Private Registration Plates
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.