Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't Touch The Android.. Help!!
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Chat
Pages: 1, 2
Brigante
Right ladies and gents, has anyone on the forums got any experience with android mobiles? Particularly samsung galaxy ace's?

Only had the thing a few months n every feature started to die one by one, first was internet bookmarks menu, if i clicked it, the screen would turn black for a few seconds, then white, then reload the home page.

Next was apps, photobucket for instance. If I tried to upload a photo from my media albums, same thing would happen once I selected the photo n clicked upload, screen went black, then white, then goes back to my media album.

Next thing was calls, if I tried to make a phone call, soon as I tapped the call button, the screen would do the same thing n go back to the homescreen. This was the last straw so I decided to do a factory data reset.

Except now I've got a bigger problem, I can't use it at all. I turn it on, it comes up with the touch the android screen. I touch the android, it acknowledges my touch by lighting up, but doesn't do anything else. The emergency dialer n change language menu's work.

But touching the android does nothing, n to really take the pee, after a white a hand appears physically showing me how to touch the android when I've been doing it repeatably.

Searched all over google, seems to be a very common problem. Some people say do a hard reset by holding the power on button along with the home screen button, tried this, doesn't work. Just powers up n shows me the same screen.

A lot of people say touch all 4 corners of the screen in a clockwise motion starting with the top left working the way round. Tried this, doesn't work. Getting fed up of reading all the pages of people on google saying to touch the 4 corners n seeing youtube videos of it working, but it's not working for me.

Anyone on here got any advice? Got enough stress as it is lately without not having a phone.
Stoney871
Sounds like a duff touch screen.
It's not picking up your touch properly.
May be a loose ribbon connector or a crap screen.
Have you any phone repair places around that can replace a screen?
Brigante
don't think its the screen though cause it will acknowledge my touch by the android lighting up, i can touch the emergency dialer n type numbers into it, i can touch the change language n scroll through the languages n select them, n if i press the power off button a message will pop up n ask if i wanna turn it off so i can tap yes which it acknowledges by turning off. So basically I can touch every point of the screen n it will work. But it won't let me into the set up menu.

Touching the 4 corners doesn't work like it says to countless times on google, but if i was to go on the emergency dialer n tap the corners then, it will acknowledge it by dialing the numbers.

A lot off people also say about clearing the cache, but how do I do this when I can't get into the phone to do so?
Stoney871
What does the service provider say?
Preee
Just tried this on my daughters Galaxy Ace.

Hold Center button in , then press and hold power button , when you see writing appear release Power button then menu button.

It should then be in reset mode , well it was on hers.

From there i could reset cache , reset to factory settings and wipe partition.

Of course you would lost all information on the internal memory of the phone, and have you synced your contacts with google , if they are not on your sim card you may lose them too.

Falling that then you could try Kies there is an option in the menu of Kies to reflash the phone.
Stoney871
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1349989086' post='210903']
Falling that then you could try Kies there is an option in the menu of Kies to reflash the phone.
[/quote]
Now why didn't I think of that?
If you haven't installed Kies you should be able to find it online.
Brigante
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1349989086' post='210903']
Just tried this on my daughters Galaxy Ace.

Hold Center button in , then press and hold power button , when you see writing appear release Power button then menu button.

It should then be in reset mode , well it was on hers.

From there i could reset cache , reset to factory settings and wipe partition.

Of course you would lost all information on the internal memory of the phone, and have you synced your contacts with google , if they are not on your sim card you may lose them too.

[/quote]

How long do I hold the centre button in before doing the power on button mate? n what text do you mean? Because when I do it, the only text that shows up is when it says ' samsung galaxy ace gt-s5830i' then just says samsung, then shows the touch the android screen. Tried it several times n the hard reset just isn't working. I've tried doing so with my memory card in, without the card in, with the sim card in, without the sim card in, with both cards in, with no cards in.

gonna try kies now. but when i tried connecting the phone to the laptop earlier, laptop bonged to acknowledge I'd plugged it in, but don't show up in my computer or anything.
k13r4n
HTC is the way forward guys lol sounds like a duff phone I would try the above methods or google a soft reset for your phone if neither work get it back to the shop coz it will be goosed
Preee
1 - turn phone off.
2 - hold down home button.
3 - whilst still holding down home button hold the power button down to turn phone on.
4 - when you see samsung logo let go off power button but keep holding home button.
5 - when you see recovery menu can let go of home button.
Brigante
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1349990507' post='210911']
1 - turn phone off.
2 - hold down home button.
3 - whilst still holding down home button hold the power button down to turn phone on.
4 - when you see samsung logo let go off power button but keep holding home button.
5 - when you see recovery menu can let go of home button.
[/quote]

just done exactly that mate,still holding holding the home button, the samsung logo just stays on for bloody ages lol, eventually the phone vibrates n goes to the touch android screen. never let go of the home button n theres no sign of any recovery menu
Preee
Android Phone's are the most Robust phones you can get , and are very hard to brick !

If you can not get into recovery mode , then a good search on XDA forums should direct you into installing Clockwork Mod via ODIN to reset your phone
Brigante
right after kies taking ages to install, then when it finally installed, sayiing a new version was available, so after ages updating too new version, I connect the phone, then it says 'unable to connect to gt-s5830i.failed to receive device information'
Preee
Try holding center button , and volume up button then press power button.
Release power button when you see logo
Keeping holding other two buttons
You should then see RAM status , this is download mode try connecting to PC in this mode.

If this fails then your going to have to go down the ODIN method and install Clockwork recovery.
Full details are on XDA forums on how to do this.
Brigante
right, doing the volume up n home button, it's popped up with system recovery, giving these options:

reboot system now
apply data update from sdcard
wipe/data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

I take it this is the menu i wanted when I was just pressing the home n power button? whys it showed up now that i've done the volume button also?

according to the xda site, the download menu is the volume down button not up.

nether the less, now i'm in the recovery menu, which option should i try 1st?
Preee
Try the cache Partition first , if that does not solve it after a reboot go back and reset factory settings and reboot.
Brigante
wiped cache, do i just turn it off now then turn back off as normal?
Preee
Select the reboot option and press menu button , did you press the menu button after you selected wipe cacache?
Brigante
yes it says cache wipe complete, gonna reboot now
Brigante
right, cache wiped, rebooted, and its back to the touch the android screen. still can't touch it, n touching the 4 corners still dont work either.

gonna attempt factory reset now
Preee
Ok let me know how it goes
Brigante
factory reset complete, still the same result. does it matter if the simcard is or isn't in?
Preee
i don't think it matter's TBH , sounds like a Hardware fault , the only other option now would be to Use ODIN and reflash the Firmware.

You did try and take battery out for a few minutes ?
Brigante
trying to get into download menu by holding volume down button, home n power button then releasing power button on samsung logo, but it doesn't work, so i can't put in download menu to connect the phone to kies, if i put it in the system recovery menu, kies won't detect the phone at all to even try to connect to it.

looking on xda forums theres that many links to odin reflash, how do i know which to use?

is this what i need?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1465599

reading the comments for it, no ones tested it to know if it works or not
Brigante
what program do i need to open the clockwork mod file with? downloaded it but i cant open it
Preee
It's got to be worth a try if the phone is currently not working, unless its still under warranty and if it is then i would return it.
Preee
[quote name='Brigante' timestamp='1349994770' post='210938']
what program do i need to open the clockwork mod file with? downloaded it but i cant open it
[/quote]

Winrar will extract Tar files , inside will be a Zip file , but if you go down this route , then read read read before you do it.

Brigante
when i open the tar file with winrar, it just comes up with recovery.img n wants me to burn the image to a cd.

after explaining the problem to an 'o2 guru' (guru roughly translated meaning useless eejit who speaks little english n doesn't have a clue what they are doing), they went quiet for ages, then left the conversation.

Tried again, explaining to someone else, they asked me for my account details as in remaining air time allowance etc, which i obviously don't know if i can't get into my phone to check, thats the whole problem. so i try logging into my o2, this doesnt work n wont let me log in, n just asks me to reset my account, i reset, but it just keeps going back to the reset page, so i go back to the conversation to tell em this, only to find they have said i've took too long to tell em the info n they've closed the conversation.

Try again, new guru, explained everything, went quiet again for ages, then a message popped up n it said they passing me onto a relevant person who can help.

New guru, this time they don't even say anything, n it just pass's me onto yet another one.

Final guru, explain yet again, they ask if it's still in the first year, i say yes, they ask if i bought it online, I say yes, they say take it to the nearest store where they will replace it. I ask if theres no other way of doing a hard reset or them doing anything with the imei number, cause whenever i've had trouble with previous phones, the first thing asked for every time was the imei number. They say there is nothing they can do without physically holding the phone in their hand n to take it to store for replacement.

So after a few hours of trying to talk to at least 5 different 'gurus' I'm no closer to fixing it.

Taking to a store will be a right piss take as the closest ones are in town, which has just been on tv today that nottingham is the 3rd worst city in the uk for congestion n is basically stand still traffic all the way through.

Was gonna go today but the Missus has been suffering from a severe aura migraine since last night so I've been trying to take care of her.

Also, looking on o2 site, it says if i bought my phone online, i have to phone a customer services to ask them how to send it to them.

So if i drive all the way to town in stand still traffic, n take it to a store, are they then just gonna send me off with my faulty phone n say phone the number?

Gonna try n call it tomorrow but I know i'll be stuck on hold for ages

Sorry for the long rant by the way I'm just obviously very stressed out with not having a phone since monday
Brigante
Any ideas why my phone menus are wierd? as in the power n home button do nothing? power, home n vol up do the recovery menu, n i cant access the download menu?

Update: playing about i can access the download menu by holding volume up and down when powering on. but now i'm in download menu, it says downloading... do not turn off target!! even though i'm not downloading anything, is it safe to turn off withing wanging it even more? also, kies still wont connect the phone in download mode
Brigante
done the cwm as in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JldgTC7TY_M

but i don't get what it's supposed to as done as after rebooting, it just takes me back to exactly the same screen n i still can't touch the smegging android

it's gonna be a trip to o2 n someones gonna be getting a samsung galaxy ace embedded in their skull
Preee
It's still under warranty , remove the Clockwork Mod there should be a remove in the menu , and take it back to the store. Better off getting a replacement or it fixed rather than go any further.
Brigante
Looks like I'll have to. Care to hazzard a guess as to what could cause all this though? All i did was a factory data reset n now whatever i do i just can't get passed touch the android.

would it be worth trying a cwm via odin on the laptop?
Brigante
By the way Paul mate I really appreciated your help on this and I'm sorry for the annoyance lol with my trivial problem.
Preee
Charlie
No problem m8, but i would just remove the CLockwork Mod and send it back , as it's still under warranty.
Brigante
Alright mate I'm not seeing any option to remove the clockwork on it?
Preee
You may as well try and flash Latest Firmware , as your be doing much the same to remove CLM.

Goto sammobil.com

Register

Goto Firmware page

input your phone details

Smartphone / Android / Samsung / Galaxy Ace 5830i / England.

Download the English firmware file and follow instructions. using ODIN

Read read read.

If it's not a hardware fault , it may fix your problems.
Brigante
gonna sound silly but where do i register? it appears to be some sort of a google with sponsored links to various sites
Preee
http://www.sammobile.com/

right hand side
Brigante
ah thats right. without the www. its a different site
Brigante
can you confirm this is right please mate before i download it?

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&model=GT-S5830i&pcode=BTU&os=1&type=1#firmware
Preee
If this is your phone
Firmwares for GT-S5830i - United Kingdom
Then yes that looks like the right Firmware.

If it fails you have nothing to lose , and it will clear the CWM so you will be safe to take it back if it fails.
Brigante
yes thats it mate. again nice one for all your help, your a gent.

will try now. here goes..
Brigante
riight downloading now, 130mb file. in the odin software, how do i open it?

:wacko: my odin software not opening now, giving an error message whether i run as admin or not
Preee
There should be a Readme File

Re-install Odin if it fails to load.

I can't give you a detailed guide as i have not upgraded Firmware on my Daughters phone , Only did it on my Old Samsung Galaxy S and it may be different , so your better to sit and read the Readme.

Failing that there is a good forum there , detailing every step to take.
Beside's the Initial Download file once you Unzip , there will be other files inthere that look as if they are Zipped , Do the readme as not all files have to be Un-zipped ODIN sorts that stuff out , there will be two or three files in the download.
Preee
When you install new firmware, phone takes a while to start as it has to reset it self, wait for it to start , don't automatically think it's failed because it take's a while.
Brigante
theres just 2 files, a .dll and the main .tar.md5 file, no read me,

got odin working now, if i try running it as admin i get an error message, if i then try opening it non admin same thing happens. but if i reinstall it n just open it as normal (non admin) it opens fine. basically clicking 'run as admin' kills it
Brigante
i read somewhere that you open the file under the pda button.

this is what i'm looking at once i've plugged in my phone, opened odin n found the file.

[IMG]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii487/therealbrigante/odin.jpg[/IMG]

do i now click 'start' n cross my fingers?
Preee
Found a Guide
According to the guide one more file needed Called "Cooper"

http://yagyagaire.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/how-to-flash-official-stock-firmwares.html#.UHnjH2-HJT8
Brigante
will that cooper file work with my phone? the s5830i an s5830 are different phones n the flash for one will rape the other
Brigante
the odin i've got is different to the one in that guide. mine doesnt have the 'one package' option.

I'll download the odin from the guide now, is it safe for my phone though? in the file name it says its for the s5830
Preee
The Cooper.OPS file is required for flashing all phones The .TAR file is the firmware

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615