Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fly Eye
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
artscot79
okay guys got round to giving this a go so heres the pics first thing ill say is bubble free my axxe it was a pain to do due to the shape of the light 2 dont use a heat gun even a hair dryer was starting to melt it after a second of use other than that it wasnt too bad you will get the odd crease due to the shape of the light but never mind you will need 2 sheets to do all the lights front and rear but ive only done these its very dull up here so did my best with the photos as for the light it doesnt cut it that much though ill see when i get it out in the dark

Brigante
Well it looks good going from your photos mate so I'm sold in that case. Whats it like actually standing there looking at it?

Just gotta get some night shots now with the lights on to see how much shines through.
artscot79
ive had a look during the day with the lights on and to be honest it doesnt effect the lights that much at all ide say 3-5 percent difference i even stuck in the standard reverse bulb and tried it and you can see it clear as day so with the cree one they definately cant miss it it is awkward to apply but patience and ide advise getting a hand it would be much simpler from around 1.5-2 feet it looks tinted its only close up you notice its the fly eye film
Brigante
Thoughtso mate didn't think there would be much difference in the light emitted. Was looking at a solid film but didn't see how it could be legal.

Now it's fitted you reckon it was worth doing? I'll have to get some soon. Didn't think you would have much left after doing the front lights.
artscot79
minus the mistake i made the one sheet does the front lights both the rear fog and reverse and probably 1 rear tail light i reckon its worth it it certainly looks good rom a distance ive seen the solid film and i doubt its legal
Brigante
Yup thats pretty much what I worked out mate. I measured all my light units allowing for overlap then mocked up a 50x100cm sheet out of paper on the floor n tried loads of ways to get all the measurements to fit on it n couldn't see how it would happen.

So just a ball ache that you'd have to buy an extra sheet just to do the last tail light. It'll cost almost 30quid for the 2 sheets plus the delivery. Suppose you could sell the off cut on though.

Does look good though so I'll definitely be getting some soon for the mean time till I get round to getting actual black units.
Oxide
I've got mine already and plan on doing the rears before I do the headlights. I'll wait until I've gotten of my ass and done the chrome bonnet lip before ordering more to the the headlights. Looks good though, I'm glad I bought it now.

Did you get the one with a free sun visor? I can't imagine that's going to be an easy one to install.
Brigante
Gits :unsure:

I had the idea n you all ordering n fitting before me.

If you look on youtube mate theres loads of videos of fitting the sun strips making it look relatively easy to do. You'll want a mate to help you through.
artscot79
i got the free sunstrip wether i fit it or not i, undecided to be honest tried one before on the mk1 and its not as easy as the you tube claim ill tell you that much with the focis non straight window
Brigante
Agreed, it'll obviously be awkward but it's do-able if you get a mate to help you the other end.
salsheikh
sunstrips are a pain in the bum, big time.
artscot79
gave the sunstrip a go got it on etc but it looks pants on the foci especially with the tint already on the window so off it came
salsheikh
i gotta do mine but cant be bothered at present. mine doesnt have a tint so really need it with the winter sun being low.
artscot79
it was easy enough i just got the mrs to hold one end and used a weak water and washing up liquid soloution on the window then applied and squuezed the water out with th espreader thay supplied but it just didnt look right at all when i stood back didnt suit my car it would suit youre car with the bonnet vents and the colour doesnt suit light colours
k13r4n
Hey guys artscot got it sorted when applying stickers/tints/vinyl etc use water with a wee drop of fairy liquid the more you use the more movement you have but the longer it takes to stick and use a wet squeegee to get out excess water and bubbles I know this as I do it at work as that is what goes on signs
artscot79
i suggest you re read youre post either im misreading it or youre being rather rude
Stoney871
Maybe he's taking the p##s? :D
artscot79
perhaps he is i think all these females in one house means im having my period today im taking everything the wrong way today so sorry guys if any posts are a bit touchy :wub: :wacko: :rolleyes:
Oxide
I'm hoping the sun visor looks alright on mine. Was it the color of the car it didn't suit?
artscot79
maybe it was just me persoanlly but it didnt work for me it just didnt look right for some reason i think it was because the front windscreen has a tint to it anyway and that the cars very light the sunstrip was very dark though a smoked one may have suited better
k13r4n
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1350665269' post='212516']
i suggest you re read youre post either im misreading it or youre being rather rude
[/quote]

Was you meaning me and if so I was meaning it in a good way as before I worked at lofthus signs I didn't know a thing about vinyl or even how to apply it and I was just trying to elaborate on your point of using water and fairy liquid as I'm not sure if everyone who reads your post know a wee secret into applying vinyl as its not easy and if any of you need stickers give me a shout I might be able to get from my work for you
artscot79
sorry mate as i replied above too many females in my house i think theyve passed there pmt on to me that particular day i was reading everything the wrong way totally my fault and i appreciate the offer what kind of stuff does youre work do
k13r4n
Erm anything from little text to full wraps vinyl wise and obv signs of all shapes sizes and lighting to engraved plastics and metals
artscot79
hmmm interesting it has me thinking of a few things but thats for later the mrs is watching and im not meant to be spending money :( :( :(
Stoney871
Buy everything in wife pounds. ;)
artscot79
i wish mate trust me if she was in charge of the banks we wouldnt be in the pan right now lol
Brigante
Could always wrap my car for me ;)
k13r4n
[quote name='Brigante' timestamp='1350769766' post='212702']
Could always wrap my car for me ;)
[/quote]

You would be looking about a grand for a full wrap with standard vinyl ie matt or gloss colours be a heap more for chrome etc
k13r4n
Oh and the trip to Aberdeen and back would set you back a few Bob
Stoney871
I reckon a few members will be looking to send random parts to you to work some magic on. ;)
Brigante
[quote name='k13r4n' timestamp='1350770005' post='212705']
Oh and the trip to Aberdeen and back would set you back a few Bob
[/quote]

Lol I've been up your way a few times before in previous jobs.

Knew it be about a grand. Once the exterior of me cars finished I wouldn't mind getting a wrap. No mates rates then no? lol

Full Colour Version: Fly Eye
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615