Hi,

I have just been given a Ford Mondeo 1998 2.0 GLX Automatic Estate and it has a central locking/alarm fault. The previous owner couldn't stop the alarm from going off, and so removed fuse # 25. This also stopped the central locking from working. The locks do not seem to be working: the key does not open the boot, and does not open either door lock. However, the key does lock the doors.

I put a 20amp fuse back in, and straight away the alarm keeps sounding. I therefore removed the connection to the alarm horn in the boot to make it silent whilst the alarm is going off. Therefore, it is now just the hazard lights that are indicating that the alarm is going off. There is no pause in the alarm at all, as soon as the fuse is inserted, it goes off, and just continues.

After fitting the 20amp fuse, the central locking now half works in that it locks all of the doors. The key still does not unlock any of the doors, and this is true of both the drivers door and the passenger door. Also, after fitting the fuse, the boot still does not open.

Before doing this, I unwound one of the rear door windows to make sure that I can get back in, and after locking the door with the key, the only way to get back in is to put my arm through the window to unlock the door from the inside.

When inside the car, if I pull or push the handle, it locks/unlocks as per normal.

The keyfob does not work at all. I have just changed the batteries, and probably need to reprogram it. However, I tried to do this but the system does not seem to go into reprogramming mode. I followed the advice as per www.mirez.co.uk/AlarmProbs.htm.

The keyfob is the InfraRed type. I have three keys in total. One is red, one is black, and the other is black with two buttons. All of these keys start the car okay.

I located the alarm unit under the steering wheel and removed some of the cable connectors. It has three connectors in total. I removed the two with the thinner wires, and then also removed the third, but neither of these actions made the central locking work. At the moment, I have left all three connectors out so that any static electricity goes, in case this is causing the issue. I doubt, however that this will make any difference.

In all three locks (two doors and boot) there seems to be a slight amount of key tension when turning the key to lock, but no tension at all when unlocking.

Hopefully I've given all the information needed. Basically, I just want to be able to lock and unlock the car (and boot). I don't really care about the alarm. It would be great if the keyfob worked, but again, it isn't essential, I just want to be able to lock the car and be able to get back into it again without having to leave one of the doors unlocked.

Obviously, I have given a lot of detail to try to pinpoint the exact issue. I have tried a few of the simpler things already, so any help pinpointing the exact issue would be much appreciated.