Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove The Aerial Before Using An Automatic Car Wash.
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
PaulR1
Hi.
My first post.

How easy is it to remove the aerial on a mk 2.5 Zetec prior to putting it through an automatic car wash.

Thanks.
Stoney871
They just unscrew but sometimes they get a bit stuck and need twisting with a pair of pliers at the bottom.
A bit of Vaseline on the thread before refitting will help.
PaulR1
Thanks, I'll pass it on to my better half.
salsheikh
yep, tell your other half a bit of lube before screwing (it in) helps !
Stoney871
[quote name='salsheikh' timestamp='1352915381' post='216756']
yep, tell your other half a bit of lube before screwing (it in) helps !
[/quote]
Nyuk Nyuk
Gary Minty Jupe
why would you want to use an automatic carwash ! and yes to the lube as Sal said !
TDCiST
[quote name='Gary Minty Jupe' timestamp='1352917732' post='216777']
why would you want to use an automatic carwash!
[/quote]

Agreed!!

I never used to bother on my old car, and it stayed on... This one however hasn't seen a car wash!
PaulR1
[quote name='Gary Minty Jupe' timestamp='1352917732' post='216777']
why would you want to use an automatic carwash ! and yes to the lube as Sal said !
[/quote]

[quote name='TDCiST' timestamp='1352921468' post='216785']
Agreed!!

I never used to bother on my old car, and it stayed on... This one however hasn't seen a car wash!
[/quote]

I'm currently away from home, and my wife is recovering from pneumonia.
Stoney871
Definitely no car wash for me.
They're not very climair friendly either.
Pitmonster
I find that automatic car washes (the drive through ones with rotating brushes) don't clear the rear screen properly

The brushes can't get under the rear spoiler, and you end up with a huge dirty section at the top of the rear window
PaulR1
[quote name='Pitmonster' timestamp='1352981879' post='216887']
I find that automatic car washes (the drive through ones with rotating brushes) don't clear the rear screen properly

The brushes can't get under the rear spoiler, and you end up with a huge dirty section at the top of the rear window
[/quote]

Thanks, good point.

Haven't used a car wash for years, this is just a temporary fix while my wife recovers from a recent illness and whilst I'm away.

Hand wash(I check the water temperature with my elbow ;)) and occasional jet is the norm

We live in the country and thanks to the farmers, most of the fields are on the road and my car :angry:.

Mud flaps will be my first mod
Scoobimax
Polish / eastern block hand car wash will address both issues (illness and missed bits) if nt washing yourself
PaulR1
[quote name='Scoobimax' timestamp='1353011877' post='216980']
Polish / eastern block hand car wash will address both issues (illness and missed bits) if nt washing yourself
[/quote]

No thanks!
Gary Minty Jupe
ive found a great car wash near me !
they only use auto-gleam products
u get a receipt before they start with any special cleaning instuctions from you
the boss goes over the car with you to make sure you more than happy when you collect/or when they finish if you wait
prices are a couple of quid more than the other round my way ,inside and out and finished with auto-gleam express wax, air freshener and glass polished £14 and a loyalty card so you get a free wash after 6 visits
and its in tesco so i sit in the cafe having a coffee and watch it being done while the Mrs does the shopping
salsheikh
[quote name='Gary Minty Jupe' timestamp='1353068825' post='217043']
u get a receipt before they start with any special cleaning instuctions from you
the boss goes over the car with you to make sure you more than happy when you collect/or when they finish if you wait
prices are a couple of quid more than the other round my way ,inside and out and finished with auto-gleam express wax, air freshener and glass polished £14 and a loyalty card so you get a free wash after 6 visits
and its in tesco so i sit in the cafe having a coffee and watch it being done while the Mrs does the shopping
[/quote]

Minty, sounds like you have found a decent carwash who like to look after their customers. I went to one where they were using washing up liquid, as soon as i saw it i went over and dipped my finger in the solution and straightway i knew that my car wasn going to be washed by them even though they had lots of autoglym/other branded stuff lying around. i have to do both mine and the wife's polo this weekend.
PaulR1
[quote name='Gary Minty Jupe' timestamp='1353068825' post='217043']
[/quote]

Sounds good, the ones I've seen at supermarkets have been very dodgy, washing up liquid (salt and detergent), dropped sponges used without cleaning, old water........ and the guys look as if they are sleeping rough.

Shame as its a good idea done correctly.
Gary Minty Jupe
[quote name='PaulR1' timestamp='1353087645' post='217092']
Sounds good, the ones I've seen at supermarkets have been very dodgy, washing up liquid (salt and detergent), dropped sponges used without cleaning, old water........ and the guys look as if they are sleeping rough.

Shame as its a good idea done correctly.
[/quote]
these guys are all uniformed up ,in a purpose built washing and drying/ waxing area
PaulR1
[quote name='Gary Minty Jupe' timestamp='1353094409' post='217112']
these guys are all uniformed up ,in a purpose built washing and drying/ waxing area
[/quote]

Do they have a name, maybe one in my area if its a group or similar
Nigel S
It's better than diggin' a ditch...
PaulR1
[quote name='Nigel S' timestamp='1353270966' post='217451']
It's better than diggin' a ditch...
[/quote]

?
Stoney871
[quote name='PaulR1' timestamp='1353272502' post='217458']
?
[/quote]
The song 'car wash'

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.