Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch pedal sunk to floor
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
scottydog
Hi my cousins 51 plate focus has lost all use of the clutch. She said when she was driving, the pedal sunk straight to the floor, now has no use of the clutch at all. She said there was also a puddle of fluid under the car. Anyone any ideas?
stef123
[quote name='scottydog' post='13714' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:26 PM']Hi my cousins 51 plate focus has lost all use of the clutch. She said when she was driving, the pedal sunk straight to the floor, now has no use of the clutch at all. She said there was also a puddle of fluid under the car. Anyone any ideas?[/quote]

either a leak from one of the pipes/ joints or the clutch slave cylinder inside the gearbox. do you know where about the fluid is dripping from?

if its the slave you will be best to do the clutch at the same time as it could have become contaminated.
SierraYankee99
A common problem with the focus is the master cylinder above the clutch pedal going. You sure the puddle was outside the car?
stef123
[quote name='SierraYankee99' post='13742' date='Mar 1 2009, 11:12 AM']A common problem with the focus is the master cylinder above the clutch pedal going. You sure the puddle was outside the car?[/quote]

dont remind me :P had this happen to me not so long ago
scottydog
I'll ask her and find out, as I haven't looked at it yet. If it was the slave cylinder, though, you wouldn't notice any fluid under the car would you?
scottydog
Just asked her, she said there was a puddle of fluid under the car on the road
stef123
[quote name='scottydog' post='13757' date='Mar 1 2009, 02:41 PM']I'll ask her and find out, as I haven't looked at it yet. If it was the slave cylinder, though, you wouldn't notice any fluid under the car would you?[/quote]

yes, it would leak out from the bell housing.

[quote name='scottydog' post='13760' date='Mar 1 2009, 03:15 PM']Just asked her, she said there was a puddle of fluid under the car on the road[/quote]

definetly one of the pipes/joints or the slave cylinder then. you will need to have a look under the bonnet to determine where its leaking, also under the gearbox if its the slave cylinder
scottydog
Just filled the reservoir up with fluid & pumped the pedal. Its pouring out where the box bolts to the engine. Sleve cylinder then innit. Wot are these like to do, I aint done one on a focus yet?
stef123
[quote name='scottydog' post='13908' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:52 PM']Just filled the reservoir up with fluid & pumped the pedal. Its pouring out where the box bolts to the engine. Sleve cylinder then innit. Wot are these like to do, I aint done one on a focus yet?[/quote]

yup definetly the slave by the sound of it im afraid. its a big job but its not extremely difficult to do. i would be changing the clutch for sure too though.
if its any help i could send you the pages from the haynes manual? might give you a few pointers?
scottydog
[quote name='stef123' post='13913' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:03 PM']yup definetly the slave by the sound of it im afraid. its a big job but its not extremely difficult to do. i would be changing the clutch for sure too though.
if its any help i could send you the pages from the haynes manual? might give you a few pointers?[/quote]

Ye please do thanks. Going to do it saturday. Have to tow it bout 1/2 mile to work, but its stuck in first gear!
stef123
[quote name='scottydog' post='13925' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:11 PM']Ye please do thanks. Going to do it saturday. Have to tow it bout 1/2 mile to work, but its stuck in first gear![/quote]

cant you pull it out of gear? if you could pm me your email address i will get the pages copied and sent to you tomorow.
scottydog
[quote name='stef123' post='13931' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:50 PM']cant you pull it out of gear? if you could pm me your email address i will get the pages copied and sent to you tomorow.[/quote]

I sent you my e-mail adress, did you get it. I cant get it out of gear, no. Maybe have to crawl underneath & move the selector. Or fill up reservoir, & pump pedal whilst wiggling gear stick.
stetastic
while on the topic of clutches .....iv had a standard AP racing clutch for the rs focus ...and in the wet wen i give it abit of stick not ragging it but you no drivin quick ....it smells like it burnin any ideas ?
scottydog
Changed the slave cylinder today, piece of cake. Spent longer bleeding it, than I did on the job. Drives like a dream now.

Full Colour Version: Clutch pedal sunk to floor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615