Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Mondeo Tdci 2.2 St 155 Egr Valve..............
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
Vade
..........Hey guys, anyone know the cheapest place to get one of these horrible things? Ford are asking for in excess of £215, Ive seen one on eBasy for £119. Any ideas? Cheers
stef123
eBay is where I got mine, from a jaguar dealer
Mr Singh
try your local jaguar dealer.
Maddogpro
Why you think its the egr /?
Vade
Ive had it on diagnostic so I know its the EGR. However since my last post performance has picked up shes running smoothly and Im happy. Went and got it plugged in again today at my mates garage and he reset the engine management light for me. All is well for now lol thanks everyone for your suggestions
FOCA
Is it a euro3 or euro4?

Just fit an EGR blanking plate (solid, stainless steel)

Its not just the Jaguar x-type EGR valves that are cheaper than mk3 Mondeos, you would think its the other way 'round
Vade
Its a euro 4, and this morning shes firing but dieing straight away. Damn those cars are heavy to push!! Im hoping the EGR is stuck open or something because if this is injectors then Im afraid I may have to wield the old axe............
Vade
EGR is stuck open, so Ive ordered a new one off eBay for £119.99 with free recorded postage. Not bad
Maddogpro
Let me know how the new one performs buddy and if it works let me have a link as too which one
Vade
As soon as shes running again Ill be back on to let you know mate.
Vade
Okay so the valve arrived today, was fitted and car running in twenty minutes. Heres the link as promised buddy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290630021007
stooge75

dont get your valves from ebay,as the ones on ebay are crap full stop.it'll only last about 6 months at best. got mines ordered from jaguar for £140 inc vat.ford DO want £210!!!

FOCA

Better still, save yourself £119.99, £140, or £210 - fit a solid, stainless steel EGR blanking plate (about a fiver)

Car pulls better with a little less turbo lag/ less flat spots, EGR housing and inlet manifold stays clean,(no carbon/ muck) and it does not matter if the EGR valve is faulty/ fails - car stays running   

Only potential drawback is EML comes on on a Euro4 compliant engine, but that can be reset periodically with a code reader  

stevegtuk

Better still, save yourself £119.99, £140, or £210 - fit a solid, stainless steel EGR blanking plate (about a fiver)

Car pulls better with a little less turbo lag/ less flat spots, EGR housing and inlet manifold stays clean,(no carbon/ muck) and it does not matter if the EGR valve is faulty/ fails - car stays running   

Only potential drawback is EML comes on on a Euro4 compliant engine, but that can be reset periodically with a code reader  

+1 blanking saves a fortune. a few quid for the blank and about £20 for the code reader and your away

stooge75

here we go again. had cars blanked in the past & the fuel consumptions worse after it. was at jaguar today ordering my EGR & another guy had a faulty egr last week & fitted a new one.while it was faulty he got 41mpg. new EGR fitted,he gets 52mpg. 

honestly some folk on here are just asking for trouble. put it this way,when someone takes your lead/advice & damages their car,are you gonna pay for their court costs? the guy did the right thing & bought the part for his car. mate you need to stop filling folks heads with egr blanking/smf converting stuff.its gonna come back to bite ya

& how does it save a fortune? my egr is duff & im running at just over 41mpg as well. it was at average of 54.2 two days ago,before it went ti*s-up..

how is blanking an egr gonna save money? jeez

stooge75

utter rubbish. much better pull & less lag when the EGR is working well. 

Mr Singh

blanking it off is the ONLY way to see if you have a duff EGR valve. its not a permanent solution.

stooge75

blanking it off is the ONLY way to see if you have a duff EGR valve. its not a permanent solution.

dont be silly. the only true way to test an egr valve is to see the voltages from it,and it opening/closing  while car is running.(like i did yesterday with a snap-on ethos reader. it tells you how open/closed the egr valve is& if the vacuum etc is operating normally.).blanking off is to combat smoke problems that older more worn engines emit.its not solving anything,only masking it,& in turn making the problem hidden

stevegtuk

when the local fords chief mechanic blanks it after he has replaced the egr and all the associated parts and says its the only way to stop clouds of black smoke coming out, there has to be some truth to blanking them otherwise he wouldnt put his job on the line by doing it.

Mr Singh

dont be silly. the only true way to test an egr valve is to see the voltages from it,and it opening/closing  while car is running.(like i did yesterday with a snap-on ethos reader. it tells you how open/closed the egr valve is& if the vacuum etc is operating normally.).blanking off is to combat smoke problems that older more worn engines emit.its not solving anything,only masking it,& in turn making the problem hidden

i should have elaborated more in what i said. if you have starting issues and you suspect the EGR valve is stuck open then blank it to confirm the fault if you dont have a diagnostic tool at hand

FOCA

In answer to several posts -  

Ist of all lets not get confused with a working EGR,  a faulty EGR and a blanked EGR  

A working EGR is going to run a better MPG than a faulty one  

But for best possible Performance (including eliminating flat spots and reducing turbo lag) a Blanked EGR is best, it will improve the MPG a little as well

Apart from the instant boost in performance, a blanked EGR helps to maintain the performance in the long term, because a functioning EGR contaminates the EGR housing and inlet manifold with carbon/ soot (gunge) from the exhaust, which will "choke" the engine over time, reducing performance.  

If your EGR valve fails a solid blanking plate costs about £5, this wiill "fix" a faulty EGR and is cheaper than £119.99, £140 or £210, (obviously) 

I've ran a blanked (completely deleted) EGR for a few years now, i know it improves performance (+ i have dyno graphs to proove it) and i know it helps the long term reliability of the engine (if only by preventing the inlet manifold getting coked/ choked up)

Many FOC members have fitted EGR blanking plates to their engines with good results       

stooge75

the original arguement was that the car pulled better/no flat spots etc,better/cheaper,etc.

and i said the car will run better,have less lag,run cooler,etc,when egr is connected & doing its job.

i dont doubt that blanking will stop smoke though.BUT you're only pushing the problem outta sight. AND for a ford chief mechanic to take that short cut,is pretty !REMOVED! up in the 1st place

and when you say many foc member s have blanked with good results,compared to what?  you're only hiding the original problem with the engine,thats what i cant get my head round? why would you wanna tell folk to fit a blanking plate,when they should be finding the reason their cars are smoking like hell! if they spent a few more quid they'd probably find the right reason & not have to resort to shortcuts. egr's are NOT only for emissions,i keep saying,but whats the point,ya's have already decided on the 1 course of action,& to hell with the consequences.oh well

stevegtuk

In answer to several posts -  

Ist of all lets not get confused with a working EGR,  a faulty EGR and a blanked EGR  

A working EGR is going to run a better MPG than a faulty one  

But for best possible Performance (including eliminating flat spots and reducing turbo lag) a Blanked EGR is best, it will improve the MPG a little as well

Apart from the instant boost in performance, a blanked EGR helps to maintain the performance in the long term, because a functioning EGR contaminates the EGR housing and inlet manifold with carbon/ soot (gunge) from the exhaust, which will "choke" the engine over time, reducing performance.  

If your EGR valve fails a solid blanking plate costs about £5, this wiill "fix" a faulty EGR and is cheaper than £119.99, £140 or £210, (obviously) 

I've ran a blanked (completely deleted) EGR for a few years now, i know it improves performance (+ i have dyno graphs to proove it) and i know it helps the long term reliability of the engine (if only by preventing the inlet manifold getting coked/ choked up)

Many FOC members have fitted EGR blanking plates to their engines with good results       

mines been on 18months, no black smoke at all since it was put on, smooth all the way up the rev range, not had to clean the egr because of all the carbon build up and nothing has broken on the car because of it :D

stevegtuk

the original arguement was that the car pulled better/no flat spots etc,better/cheaper,etc.

and i said the car will run better,have less lag,run cooler,etc,when egr is connected & doing its job.

i dont doubt that blanking will stop smoke though.BUT you're only pushing the problem outta sight. AND for a ford chief mechanic to take that short cut,is pretty fu*ked up in the 1st place

the car runs smoother since the egr has been blanked and less lag also. The only problem was that ford put the egr on in the first place.

stooge75

i didnt say you'd break anything,but you're not running the engine the way its supposed to run. go find a diagnostics kit,& plug it in,in a car with a fully functioning EGR,take it for a run,record the data then store it. blank the egr,reset ecu,take for a run,do the same run,record data(temps etc),then compare the two.Ive done it before. think you'll be surprised.

FOCA

the car runs smoother since the egr has been blanked and less lag also. The only problem was that ford put the egr on in the first place.

+1  exactly

stooge75

here here.i am not saying the egr was a good idea either.

stevegtuk

i didnt say you'd break anything,but you're not running the engine the way its supposed to run. go find a diagnostics kit,& plug it in,in a car with a fully functioning EGR,take it for a run,record the data then store it. blank the egr,reset ecu,take for a run,do the same run,record data(temps etc),then compare the two.Ive done it before. think you'll be surprised.

it runs smoother, less lag and no black smoke, since blanking it, the diagnostics can say what they like, if its running better who cares if its not running how ford intended.

stevegtuk

I have been informed by several mechanics, ford and non ford that the black smoke is due to the timing between the egr closing and the turbo kicking in is slightly out. They say the turbo pressure builds up before the egr has completely closed so there is a split second where there is back pressure and inlet air gets blown down the metal pipe from the egr into the exhaust causing the black smoke, this is a known fault but not worth recalling as it isnt of any danger and they cant fix it anyway due to the software system.

stooge75
Firmware updates took care of these issues.Also took care of flat spots & lag issues with variable vane turbos. Better fuel consumption as well due to these corrections
FOCA

i dont doubt that blanking will stop smoke though.BUT you're only pushing the problem outta sight. AND for a ford chief mechanic to take that short cut,is pretty !REMOVED! up in the 1st place

and when you say many foc member s have blanked with good results,compared to what?  you're only hiding the original problem with the engine,thats what i cant get my head round? why would you wanna tell folk to fit a blanking plate,when they should be finding the reason their cars are smoking like hell! if they spent a few more quid they'd probably find the right reason & not have to resort to shortcuts. egr's are NOT only for emissions,i keep saying,but whats the point,ya's have already decided on the 1 course of action,& to hell with the consequences.oh well

Blanking the EGR does not "hide" the problem, it removes the problem permanently

More often than not, its the EGR valve/ system that IS the problem

You don't need an EGR valve/ system on a diesel engine - simples

The "consequences" of fitting a solid stainless steel EGR blanking plate are - 

Better starting

Less smoke

More reliable

Cleaner inlet  

EGR housing and Inlet do not get coked up

Better performance

Less flat spots

Less turbo lag

Slightly better economy

(Much) Cheaper than replacing the EGR valve

+ the only genuine drawback - the engine management light may come on on Euro4/5 compliant engines

stevegtuk

Blanking the EGR does not "hide" the problem, it removes the problem permanently

More often than not, its the EGR valve/ system that IS the problem

You don't need an EGR valve/ system on a diesel engine - simples

The "consequences" of fitting a solid stainless steel EGR blanking plate are - 

Better starting

Less smoke

More reliable

Cleaner inlet  

EGR housing and Inlet do not get coked up

Better performance

Less flat spots

Less turbo lag

Slightly better economy

(Much) Cheaper than replacing the EGR valve

+ the only genuine drawback - the engine management light may come on on Euro4/5 compliant engines

Agreed

the eml coming on isnt really a drawback if you buy a cheap code reader £20 and delete it once a week to make sure no other faults are there.

stevegtuk

Firmware updates took care of these issues.Also took care of flat spots & lag issues with variable vane turbos. Better fuel consumption as well due to these corrections

:lol: :lol:  there isnt updated firmware for the egr.

If there had been such a mythical thing, there wouldnt be so many people driving around with blanked egrs <_<

stooge75

there IS an update for euro4 egr's. its in the last update.in fact it covers the whole emissions,fuelling etc.that update got mines running from 48/49 to 52mpg in the first place

anyway,went & picked up my EGR. back on car,& reading 52mpg again. :)

FOCA

there IS an update for euro4 egr's. its in the last update.in fact it covers the whole emissions,fuelling etc.that update got mines running from 48/49 to 52mpg in the first place

anyway,went & picked up my EGR. back on car,& reading 52mpg again. :)

You should fit a solid blanking plate now to see how much your MPG,  improves, and by how much the turbo lag and flat spots are reduced  

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615