Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chain Cam Or Belt Cam
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
mobily
Hi

I have a 1.6 petrol 2009 Ford Focus Zetec and have read about belt cams and how these can snap at circa 60/70k.

Does this model of focus have a chain cam or belt cam?

All I know is the engine is a duratec.

Thanks!
Steve
i tried to research this but could not get a definitive answer.

Do you have the owners manual? in that book it will tell you when to replace the timing belt, if thats the case then its gonna be a belt.
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I found out on my 1.8 petrol by checking with a cam belt kit supplier asking for a quote for the kit for a 1.8 petrol 2009, I was told that they did not supply a kit as my engine used a chain. Give it a try.[/font][/size][/color]
artscot79
Its a belt cam all the petrols are Wikipedia gives a list of all engines
NorthSussex
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1355765770' post='221709']
[color=#ff0000]Its a belt cam all the petrols are[/color] Wikipedia gives a list of all engines
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Not correct,[u] the 1.8 petrol 2009 is chain[/u]. I don't know about other petrols but don't rely on Wicki. [/font][/size][/color] <_<
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]This site gives a list of Ford engines that use a cam belt, if yours is listed it's a belt and if it isn't listed it probably is a chain, but double check.[/font][/size][/color]

[url="http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/timing-belt-ford-focus_lg306_ls3588.html?gclid=CJ3hnv6UorQCFTDMtAodbl8ANg"]http://www.mister-au...CFTDMtAodbl8ANg[/url]
artscot79
sorry rephrase all small engine petrols are belt
NorthSussex
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1355782079' post='221783']
sorry rephrase all small engine petrols are belt
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]No prob, just wanted to clear up any confusion; it took some time to check on my engine which looks like one of the few Foci that use a chain.[/font][/size][/color] :unsure:
Pidu
[quote name='NorthSussex' timestamp='1355771437' post='221738']
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive][u] the 1.8 petrol 2009 is chain[/u]. [/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Same story with 2.0 petrol - chain. Just in case somebody was looking for this information.
NorthSussex
[quote name='Pidu' timestamp='1355834307' post='221837']
Same story with 2.0 petrol - chain. Just in case somebody was looking for this information.
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Excellent. [/font][/size][/color]
mobily
Thanks for the info guys. Still got a while before a belt change is required... only 14000 miles on the clock.
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]It's a good idea to find out the servicing needs early.[/font][/size][/color]
artscot79
youre current 1.6 is the sigma engine and is defo a belt cam as is the 1.6 ti vct engine all new ecoboost engines are a mix of chain and belt cam 1.8 petrol and 2.0 litre petrol as stated are chains and the 1.4 petrol is also a cam belt

2012 on 1.0 litre ecoboost is a internal timing chain
1.6 litre ecoboost is a cam belt both versions
2.0 litre ecoboost is a chain cam
mobily
I'm thinking of replacing at about 60/70k to be safe. Probably about 4/5 years time!
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]5 years and 70k is about right, Fords 100k 10 years is pushing your luck.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Thanks Arthur for the update, I am sure there are other engines and Ford models with similar variations, it.s a pity that the ford handbook doesn't give that sort of information.[/font][/size][/color]
artscot79
Feel free anyone to add to the list it wasnt easy tracking down that info
jon-v8
[quote name='Pidu' timestamp='1355834307' post='221837']
[/quote]

I thought my '56 plate 2.0 Ghia petrol was belt driven?
Pidu
[quote name='jon-v8' timestamp='1355863664' post='221906']
I thought my '56 plate 2.0 Ghia petrol was belt driven?
[/quote]

I guess it is your lucky day, you can now forget about cam-belt change because it is not there. Info for free, peace of mind - priceless :D

Seriously - both 1.8 and 2.0 petrol engines belong to Duratec HE family and are equipped with chain.
NorthSussex
[color=#0000ff][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I think you need to check the year as well as cc and fuel to be certain. [/font][/size][/color]

Full Colour Version: Chain Cam Or Belt Cam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.