Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whirring Noise From Clutch When In Neutral
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Maintenance / Servicing / MOT Discussions
Kent1962
[size=3][color=#222222]My wife's 2009 Mk7 1.25 Zetec has starting making a whirring noise when in neutral. It has only done 35,000 and serviced regularly. If you press the clutch down the noise stops. It is more noticeable when the car is cold. I checked the gearbox oil this weekend and topped up with about 1/2 litre but this has made no difference. From reading other posts, some say it’s either clutch thrust bearing or gearbox input shaft.[/color]

[color=#222222]Any help would be appreciated. [/color][/size]
Stoney871
First of all, welcome to the Forum.
From doing a bit of research i have come up with the answer that it could be your input shaft bearing, layshaft bearing or clutch release bearing.
Kent1962
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know, if there is any way of testing to be sure which one it is?[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]Thanks[/size][/font]
stef123
Half a litre of oil is a fair amount for a gearbox to loose, has it been leaking?
Kent1962
No sign of a leak, quite a bit came out as it levelled off though!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.