Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Too High/too Stiff?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Fusion Club
qwertymz
Hi all

My Galaxy (1999) just died so I'm looking to replace it with something a bit smaller - hence the Fusion! I found one I quite liked from 2004 (Fusion 1) with quite low mileage, and had a test drive today. Everything went well, and I'm looking to maybe buy it on Saturday.

I am, however, unsure about the clutch.

It seems to be positioned too high, and it's very stiff to push down. I was wondering - is this common to 2004 Fusions?

If not - is a stiff clutch something to worry about (and should it affect whether I buy it or not?), or can it be fixed with relative ease?

I know nothing about cars - so your comments and insights would be very helpful!
stef123
The high clutch bite is quite common on cars with a hydraulic clutch. the stiff clutch is a tricky one, but it could be the slave cylinder/release bearing
qwertymz
Hmm. Would I be wise to steer clear here, or is it quite a simple thing to solve?
stef123
[quote name='qwertymz' timestamp='1359119449' post='230202']
Hmm. Would I be wise to steer clear here, or is it quite a simple thing to solve?
[/quote]

I don't want to 'influence' your purchase as such but a worst case scenario is that the release bearing needs replaced - so you would be looking at having the gearbox removed to do this and just as well fitting a new clutch at the same time.
qwertymz
I'm meant to go down to Perth to see it tomorrow, so I'll ask about it. Thanks :)
stef123
[quote name='qwertymz' timestamp='1359127395' post='230222']
I'm meant to go down to Perth to see it tomorrow, so I'll ask about it. Thanks :)
[/quote]

hope it all goes well mate,

what engine is it and whats the mileage?
qwertymz
1.4 engine, 30k miles. (2004)

I'm also looking at a fusion 2 (2003), same engine, 50k miles for the same price. Unsure about which one to go for!
qwertymz
[quote name='stef123' timestamp='1359152011' post='230321']

hope it all goes well mate,

what engine is it and whats the mileage?
[/quote]

Hope you can give some advice. Tried the car (on neutral) - pushing down the clutch was fine but as soon as it is released the car makes a growling noise. When you out the clutch in it goes away... Is this serious? Any ideas appreciated!
stef123
[quote name='qwertymz' timestamp='1359219186' post='230474']

Hope you can give some advice. Tried the car (on neutral) - pushing down the clutch was fine but as soon as it is released the car makes a growling noise. When you out the clutch in it goes away... Is this serious? Any ideas appreciated!
[/quote]

You will get this in every car to some extent but if its loud or growling then the release bearing is probably shot
qwertymz
[quote name='stef123' timestamp='1359220675' post='230486']

You will get this in every car to some extent but if its loud or growling then the release bearing is probably shot
[/quote]

Thanks :) yeah it was much louder than expected. Think ill give this one a miss!
stef123
If you were happy to make get it fixed yourself try and knock him down 200-300 quid to get it sorted.
qwertymz
[quote name='stef123' timestamp='1359224313' post='230503']
If you were happy to make get it fixed yourself try and knock him down 200-300 quid to get it sorted.
[/quote]

It was arnold clark so once I pointed out the noise car goes back to the mechanics, and if they can't fix it it goes to auction. Besides.. Don't want to buy a car that starts out with problems!

Full Colour Version: Clutch Too High/too Stiff?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.