Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tyre Advice/help
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
yozza64
Hi guys ive recently changed my prefacelift 2.0 Zetec Mondeo to a 2004 54 reg 1.8 Facelift Mondeo. Ive got a query about the tyres that came with the car. I know the standard size tyres that should be fitted to my car are 205/55/16, but its got 205/50/16 fitted. The spare is the standard/correct size. Would I be ok stiill running on these tyres, and just as an emergency/get me home if needed use the spare or would I need to change the spare to the same size as the others.

The other thing I noticed and this might sound daft, is that there is a larger gap on the front between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch. I assuming its because its a smaller engine ie 1.8, and not the 2.0 engine, and the profile of the tyres.

Your Advice would be most gratefull.
jeebowhite
Hi Alan,

As an emergency (and by emergency, I mean short distance driving) I would say it should be fine.

Just bear in mind that if you drive past 1 motorway junction on a spare wheel that is not exactly the same size as the other three (aka spacesaver! or perhaps this one) you are elligible for a ticking off from the traffic officer who may be following you :)
yozza64
Well from what ive been told elsewhere is ive got no choice but to change all 4 tyres for the correct size, as my speedo and fuel consumption will be well out.

Just what I did'nt need to hear when im totally skint and in the process of moving house
jeebowhite
Your speedo may be calibrated for cheaper than a replacement jobby. have a word with some indies, someone should know somewhere you can get it done...

Full Colour Version: Tyre Advice/help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.