Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cold Start How Long Should It Crank?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
frostman83
New focus 59 plate.
It's been cold the last few mornings when I switch the car on it turns over but lasts 5/6 seconds until it fires up.
It's just a bit longer than my previous cars. Should I be concerend?its like it finally fires up in the end but it doesn't seem quick and smooth?
stef123
[quote name='frostman83' timestamp='1361549248' post='237935']
New focus 59 plate.
It's been cold the last few mornings when I switch the car on it turns over but lasts 5/6 seconds until it fires up.
It's just a bit longer than my previous cars. Should I be concerend?its like it finally fires up in the end but it doesn't seem quick and smooth?
[/quote]

is it a petrol or diesel and what engine?
frostman83
[quote name='stef123' timestamp='1361558666' post='237987']

is it a petrol or diesel and what engine?
[/quote]

Petrol 1.6. Just started it up now and it was fine. How strange.
artscot79
I do have a theory on that say you drove home and the dash temp says 6degrees the temp drops overnight to say minus1 when you first switch on the ignition the outside temp will show 2 degrees lets say but its actually colder it takes the car a few moments to realise this so does not apply enough auto choke to comoensate so briefly it takes a seond or two more to start i may be wrong here but the mk1 had odd starting behavior when it was either warm then very cold or very cold then quite warm
frostman83
just an update, took it back to the ford garage (30day warrenty) they said the battery had a faulty cell or something along those lines and put a new one in for me. much , much better now.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.