Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: crankshaft oil leak
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
handymr
Focus 1.4 04 plate. I'v noticed an oil patch under my car and on further investigation i'm 90% convinced it is coming from the crankshaft. (10% thats its from the sump gaskett) .
How easy is it to change the seal on the crankshaft , have any of you Pro's any advice e.g Time & difficulty. or if too difficult how much to pay for a garage to do the job. I'm getting grief from the Mrs
about the oil on the drive ...... many thanks for any tips & advice .........
handymr
[quote name='handymr' post='15147' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:17 PM']Focus 1.4 04 plate. I'v noticed an oil patch under my car and on further investigation i'm 90% convinced it is coming from the crankshaft. (10% thats its from the sump gaskett) .
How easy is it to change the seal on the crankshaft , have any of you Pro's any advice e.g Time & difficulty. or if too difficult how much to pay for a garage to do the job. I'm getting grief from the Mrs
about the oil on the drive ...... many thanks for any tips & advice .........[/quote]

Also if I add a product like "redex stop oil leak" will this damage a zetec engine because it needs thinner oil ? This would be a way round the problem ....
w2575
[quote name='handymr' post='15166' date='Mar 16 2009, 06:51 AM']Also if I add a product like "redex stop oil leak" will this damage a zetec engine because it needs thinner oil ? This would be a way round the problem ....[/quote]

To my knowlwdge this is an engine out job! You may be able to drop the sump and have a look at the sump gaskit first and then mayb see the crankshaft seal a smear of hylomar (think thats the correct spelling) may provide a satisfactory sealing but by no means good repair ! Never known them to go on the crankshaft tho !

Dont know it this helps but its where i would start

Full Colour Version: crankshaft oil leak
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615