Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Model Airbrush Kit - Scratch Repair?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
jeebowhite

I just had a whacky thought and wonder if it would ever work? - Home chip and scratch repair with a model airbrush kit? You can buy the kits on ebay very cheap... like £15 or less for some kits... I wonder if you got a kit like this and somehow obtained the right airbrush paint for your car, if you could respray small damage yourself?

Has anyone done this on a budget?

an example kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Airbrush-Kit-w-Air-Can-Brush-Paint-Sprayer-Kit-Model-Cars-Painting-Hobby-/261046210324#vi-content

alexp999

I can't see why it wouldn't work, provided you prepare the area properly to give it a good key.

It shouldn't be any different to what the professionals use.

The only thing is don't they bake it on normally?

jeebowhite
not sure, to be honest I would probably use a ford aerosol kit for small touch ups and scar coverings... I just thought it might be a way to get a better finish...
Preee

The kits look fine and should work , it's all about the prep and the right paint i guess

b1g_dav3

I used one to paint a pair of headlights and bumper - worked fine. Did a set of brows on the headlights and a chip repair on the bumper for a mate.

jeebowhite

how did you get the right paint then Dave?

b1g_dav3

I had a paint shop near my dad's work mix it up with all the correct bits and just plonked it in the jar :P

If it's of interest, Aldi are getting some professional spraying kits in for £20.

jeebowhite

that sounds alright, but you need a compressor I think

b1g_dav3

You do really, the air spray cans are only decent for the little model one's (although again a compressor is better).

jeebowhite

yeah, to be honest I think for small scratches, a tin of spraint should suffice as it seems getting hold of the right paint online ready to pour and use seems impossible :(

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615