Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got An Error On Your Car?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
jeebowhite

Most of us are driving around with errors on our car, and we don't even realise it. Mainly because the small niggles don't affect our day to day driving. Focus owners are lucky as they have the "Secret Dash Trick" but what if you don't own a Focus? and you don't have a trip computer?

The easiest way for us on the forums to help you, is if you have an "OBD" Scanner - and you may be surprised that they are DIRT cheap!

OBD is the cars "On Board Diagnostics" system. If there is an error with your car sensor, or another error that you are either well aware of (or perhaps not). then OBD might just save you £60 minimum diagnostics fee with a dealer, and perhaps a whole lot more in repairs...

What is OBD?

On Board Diagnostics has been in use for many years, as early as 1996 a lot of cars have it. From 2001 (Petrol) and 2004 (Diesel) the standard of OBDII came in, and all cars after this time will have an OBDII interface that you can use.

Not only can OBD be used to diagnose issues, but it also allows you to monitor the likes of efficiency in your car. there are so many applications available that will read the data in different ways, if you want an app for 0-60 with BHP readouts - Torque Pro.

If you want an app for your economy usage "Efficiency (Free)" can be your new best friend.

Does my car have OBD?

The requirement is that an OBDII connection MUST be accessible to the driver within 2 feet of the driver position.

The usual location is about knee height and on the right or left side of your knee (depending on the LHD or RHD model you own).
Its normally recessed, and running your hand along the dash you will feel it, it may perhaps be hidden under the steering column, behind a panel (look for a removable panel somewhere around the dashboard at knee height) or behind an ashtray.

There also tends to be one on the bulkhead of the engine compartment. Mst likely under a cover, so check your fusebox, and you may see it.

How do I use OBD?

You can buy a universal adapter that will fit any car with an OBD socket. See below links to a couple of types (Bluetooth) and an example USB version.

Smartphone Users:

Look at your smartphones App Store for a program called "Torque" - this comes in a freeware version and a Paid for version.

Torque allows you to scan for and clear down error codes, also clicking the error code can take you to a page where you can see in plain english - what the error means. It allows you to view live data readings and also map out your vehicles data (downloadable to PC).

Two types of Bluetooth Adapters for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Car-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Interface-Android-CAN-BUS-PC-/200840588989?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2ec3082ebd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-Bluetooth-Car-1-5-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-Diagnostic-Interface-CAN-BUS-Tool-UK-/180989271729?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a23cd1eb1

Laptop Users:

You can buy a USB version that will plug into your laptop. they tend to come with drivers and applications that you can use to interact with your car's data.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V1-5-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-USB-Cable-Software-Car-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-Tool-/181048754000?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a2758bf50

Any User:

I Forgot when writing this that there is the entirely seperate "standalone" code reader. Its a handheld device that will read the code and control it through a handheld unit, prices for these differ, as little as £10.00 and up to a lot more. You can buy these for an average of £25 - £30 for a relatively branded unit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Diagnostic+code+reader&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC0.A0.Xstandalone+Diagnostic+code+reader&_nkw=standalone+Diagnostic+code+reader&_sacat=0

Which OBD version do I have?

OBDII is the current standard but there have been other releases before. The older your car, the older the OBD support, so vehicles around 1996 will be OBD 1 and later vehicles 1.5 or 2. Always contact the seller if you are unsure if the device you are looking to purchase is compatible with your car.

Generally speaking, if your car is older than 2004, you will probably have an OBDI device, and not an OBDII device. Again, refer to the seller to identify if this is the correct one for you.

Why should I buy into this?

Combination of an OBD adapter, and software to accompany it, most of the time will come in under £15. For that money, you have a way to track your cars readings, and check all the error codes. A simple problem with a sensor could cost you as little as £60 to diagnose with a dealer, and then whatever ludicrous labour fee's are applicable to resolve this issue. If you are handy with a spanner, or know someone who is, your first problem resolution will only cost you £15 plus whatever cost for the part, any problems after that you are self diagnosing for free.

Providing the members of this forum with error codes means that we can provide you with more accurate details, and suggestions to resolve your problems.

Limitations:

Please note that when you buy an adapter of this nature, there ARE limitations.

These adapters and software combinations cannot diagnose some systems, ABS and Airbag for example, but it can clear there error codes.

Will It damage my car?

Budget OBDII readers can only ever read data from the engine, and switch the Engine Management Light off - 99.9% of scanners on the market will not damage your car. Be wary of buying from abroad, as these may be cheaper still, but these are the 0.01% that may damage your car.

What About Apple?

Unfortunately, Apple is an issue for this sort of task. Apple use a hybrid "bluetooth" stack, which although claims to be bluetooth, its not "bluetooth" by the rest of the worlds description, its more "Apple's rewriting of bluetooth". Its generally seen that Bluetooth adapters wont work with Apple, and you may be better off getting a WiFi adapter and connect to this.

For apple compatible devices though (Wi-Fi or bluetooth)

There's this: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8
that I have heard of.  but they do say if you have a bluetooth adapter, to contact support before hand.

Alternatively, suggestion is that https://itunes.apple... a code reader.is a good tool to use, but again, ensure that they confirm it will work, or at least get refund reassurances.

The most expensive I have seen yet (but best reported on) is REV: https://itunes.apple...avy investment.

Summary

So that's it - its a cheap, and harmless way to get information from your cars computer. Whether error diagnostics, or to see how much damage you are doing to the environment, or if you just want to brag to your friends about what your current BHP reads at.

So, I hope this inspires you! Many who buy an adapter never look back, I have yet to come across a single individual who has regretted buying one. But remember, buy cheap but don't expect the world, but these cheap adapters could be more than enough to dig you out of a hole. If you want to buy something better, there are more than enough tools out there that you can look to upgrade to. Scanguage is an excellent device and there are a lot of other handheld units that could improve the result.

If you have any questions, look around the forum, or feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to help. If there is enough interest, I am sure all of us here will be happy to help you if you need to start a thread.

Please remember, the above links are not recommendations, we are not gaining any revenue from advertising them, but I can say that I own two of them and they work fine for me ;)

The Bear

Nice post Jeebo ;)

Will this bad boy work on my Fusion....?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EiioX-MaxiScan-Diagnostic-Scanner-Reader/dp/B0098WCDIS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362854257&sr=8-3

Also on some cars there is a way of reading codes without a reader and just using a paperclip ;) works on my Omega. here's a vid showing it working on a Honda (I think) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5BaAa6tCM

only down side is that it will read all codes that have been stored for a while (i think) so if there are multiple codes you could have a hard job judging what's relevent. but handy if youre in a pinch :)

Turvey

Guess who just remembered and found an OBD11 cable he had bought when his VW Sharan had an engine fault? 

As a matter of interest what laptop software would you recommend? There seems to be a fair amount of choice out there. 

MonkeyMattius
Anyone know of any of these compatible with the mk6 facelift fiesta?

Be interesting to see if anything is wrong diagnostics wise on my car!

I need this! Love the geeky techy stuff.
jeebowhite

Hi Steve,

The code reader you provided seems like it should work fine, but before purchase, ask the seller for written confirmation, but I really see no problem with it.In regards to reading old codes, I tend to have a rule, if it aint broke, dont worry about fixing it... in which case, I tend to make a note of the codes (using torque pro to save the list) then clear the error codes and continue to drive. Because of that I see I get a recurrng error code which I need to investigate.

Hi Kevin,

There are loads of free applications, I havent looked at software as of yet, but I did recieve a CD with a load of tools. You are welcome to a copy of the software and try many of them out. but I cant personally recommend anything at this time.

Hi Matt,

The MK6 just depends on what year your motor is, but as your car is a 2008, most of the generic readers will work fine...

Turvey

Thanks very much for the offer James, much appreciated,  but I'm sure with my friend Google's help I'll find some suitable software  ;)

All I need now is a lappy with a half decent battery  :rolleyes:

The Bear

Thanks for the info Jeebo... very much appreciated :)  :) :)  

jeebowhite
No problem. Hope its of help. I have diagnosed many a problem with these tools and the on board computer recon I have saved myself hundreds over time!

Turvey have a look on eBay for batteries you can get some good deals!
Rohit
Could you please provide a link to the smart phone application as I'm unable to find it?

Thanks
jeebowhite

Hi Rohit,

Very sorry I seem to have missed your post over the last few days...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en

jeebowhite

An advisory to you all!!! Read my thread here, seems that the OBDII adapters can cause some strange behavior if the ECU is trying to be read at the same time that the car is starting. I never saw this on my Cee'd but it seems the Ford ECU Is a bit more fragile...

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41283-killed-my-bus-oops/

jeebowhite

I have further updated this to reflect something obvious that I missed before! you can also buy a standalone, handheld diagnostic unit, no phone or PC required.

Any User:

I Forgot when writing this that there is the entirely seperate "standalone" code reader. Its a handheld device that will read the code and control it through a handheld unit, prices for these differ, as little as £10.00 and up to a lot more. You can buy these for an average of £25 - £30 for a relatively branded unit.

http://www.ebay.co.u...reader&_sacat=0

marklord83
Ove got the torque app and yesterday pulled code p0002 thats down to tuning box tho but I managed to clear the code, fantastic bit of kit
jeebowhite

Definately, and for less than £15 all in, it saves a lot of trips to the dealers...

Certainly saved me a few so far!

The Bear

Hey Jeebo,

I recently got the Autel Maxiscan ms509....... wonderful! less than £30! :)

jeebowhite

What can you do with it? others may find it useful to know!

marklord83
Ive got the android torque app its awesome makes life a little easier if anything goes wrong as you can get your check fault codes yourself and even clear them if needed, I had to clear one other week due to tuning box, hasnt come back on since
jeebowhite

It really is an excellent tool, and for under £15 all in, you really cant own a modern car without it!

marklord83
Especially with all the silly little things that can pop up on ecu
jeebowhite

Agree'd, there are several times i have stuck my head under the hood, and done something (knocked a cable, pulled the wrong fuse etc) the engine light comes on, or flashing warnings like "transmission failure" and the likes. If I didnt have torque (or a little bit of knowledge) I would have pooped myself, panicked, called the dealer, paid ridiculous recovery costs and suffered ear ache from the wife. But if I do something silly (get the EML for forgetting to plug the MAF back in) then I get Torque out, it reminds me in plain english "NO MAF Signal" and then I pop the bonnet and problem fixed...

andysvision

Agree'd, there are several times i have stuck my head under the hood, and done something (knocked a cable, pulled the wrong fuse etc) the engine light comes on, or flashing warnings like "transmission failure" and the likes. If I didnt have torque (or a little bit of knowledge) I would have pooped myself, panicked, called the dealer, paid ridiculous recovery costs and suffered ear ache from the wife. But if I do something silly (get the EML for forgetting to plug the MAF back in) then I get Torque out, it reminds me in plain english "NO MAF Signal" and then I pop the bonnet and problem fixed...

Just bought the ELM327 managed to conect to my car,and i am able to read live data but i am a little sceptic becouse when i read for fault codes it scans very fast for about 2 seconds and shows 0 DTC..how is that posible i know i have many DTC on my car right now.I want to see what type of ecu i have and cant find ir?please help

jeebowhite

Hi Andi,

It depends what device you have. Some code readers are able to access the live data, but they are not able to access all area's. It could be that you have bought a device incompatible with accessing and managing your DTC codes.

What is the device you bought? and are you using a standalone unit, Laptop unit or a unit for use with a phone?

andysvision

Hi Andi,

It depends what device you have. Some code readers are able to access the live data, but they are not able to access all area's. It could be that you have bought a device incompatible with accessing and managing your DTC codes.

What is the device you bought? and are you using a standalone unit, Laptop unit or a unit for i bought this use with a phone?

I bought this ELM327 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/V1-5-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-CAN-BUS-Auto-Diagnostic-USB-Interface-Code-Scanner-Reader-/180830109519?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1a507f4f&vxp=mtr

and i use it with a lap top.Why its reads 0 DTCS?

jeebowhite
It could be a fake or it could be your car has no codes. Is it still problematic?
andysvision

It could be a fake or it could be your car has no codes. Is it still problematic?

Hmm fake?it is just as the original one and the cd too.Can you post me were did you buy yours please?The car has errors becouse i got since 4 days the ENGINE light on my dashboard and it hasnt gone..

jeebowhite

not sure what you got? I have an android phone and use a bluetooth OBDII code reader... look at my link "Got an error on your car?" for the type I bought...

andysvision

yes i know i saw that one is an ELM327 bluetooth version,i bought the cable version like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-V1-5a-OBDII-OBD2-USB-Interface-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-Cable-New-/190927169841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c74256931

Does your type support Focus 2.0 TDCi?Does it work with IPHONE?Thank you

jeebowhite

Mine is a generic, I have used it on many cars including a 2.0 TDCI CMAX, Peugeot, 2.0 Petrol Focus and a few others inbetween...

Simon R
Can't get torque to connect to my 2009 mondeo via bluetooth
andysvision

Mine is a generic, I have used it on many cars including a 2.0 TDCI CMAX, Peugeot, 2.0 Petrol Focus and a few others inbetween...

Is a generic?What does that mean can you explain me?How much did you buy that please?

jeebowhite

Hi Simon,

Just to check a few things, have you set torque to use the bluetooth OBD? you need to pair your phone to the device, then open torque, go into the menu, Settings, OBD2 Adapter Settings and then Choose Bluetooth Device. Here you would need to set the OBD device, and then restart.

If you have, is your bluetooth adapter connected to the car, with the engine either running, or on electrics? when you do this, does your smartphone show the bluetooth connected symbol?

Andi, Generic is just a device that can be used with anything. Its not made specifically for Ford, or any other manufacturer, its designed to be a universal device. The only other thing is that the iPhone doesn't have Torque as far as I am aware, but it does have other similar applications.

andysvision

Hi Simon,

Just to check a few things, have you set torque to use the bluetooth OBD? you need to pair your phone to the device, then open torque, go into the menu, Settings, OBD2 Adapter Settings and then Choose Bluetooth Device. Here you would need to set the OBD device, and then restart.

If you have, is your bluetooth adapter connected to the car, with the engine either running, or on electrics? when you do this, does your smartphone show the bluetooth connected symbol?

Andi, Generic is just a device that can be used with anything. Its not made specifically for Ford, or any other manufacturer, its designed to be a universal device. The only other thing is that the iPhone doesn't have Torque as far as I am aware, but it does have other similar applications.

Thank you for reply,but can you post me your type than?i want to buy that one too please.what was the price when you bought it?Thank you Jeebo :)

jeebowhite

HI Andi,

Its been some time since I bought it to be honest! I bought the bluetooth variety from ebay (blue one in my link to code readers)

andysvision

HI Andi,

Its been some time since I bought it to be honest! I bought the bluetooth variety from ebay (blue one in my link to code readers)

hmm do you rememer the seller name?what was the price ?

jeebowhite

I dug out the URL from Paypal, but given the age of it... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251128664043

its now unfortunately been removed and isnt sold any longer.

andysvision

I dug out the URL from Paypal, but given the age of it... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251128664043

its now unfortunately been removed and isnt sold any longer.

did it came from CHINA? or was UK made?

jeebowhite

I bought it from the UK I dont know if it was made in China though to be honest. Although 99% of the world is made in china lol

andysvision

I bought it from the UK I dont know if it was made in China though to be honest. Although 99% of the world is made in china lol

yes you got a point :) thank you

Randallsfocus

Hi Could anyone recommend a good programme for the iphone/ipad? One that does fault codes and engine performance.  I tried searching for "torque pro" but no joy.

Many Thanks

jeebowhite

Having recently been looking into this, I dont think there is an "iPhone" and "Bluetooth" compatible solution. apparently iPhones bluetooth stack is a hybrid between bluetooth technology and Apply Jargon which no other non apple device can speak, so you would struggle, however, you can get WiFi accessible OBDII devices and could try them with the below, I have made a few small notes.

if you do invest in any, then I would welcome you to write your findings and thoughts here for other Apple users to share in and use!

There's this: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8 that I have heard of.  but they do say if you have a bluetooth adapter, to contact support before hand.

Alternatively, suggestion is that https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dynolicious-classic/id286208729?mt=8 works with bluetooth, but I cant see anyone spell out that this works as a code reader.

The most expensive I have seen yet (but best reported on) is REV: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rev/id302420711, but again that's a heavy investment.

In the short hand, if you have an Android, or a bluetooth enabled PC, then a bluetooth adapter would be a good investment. However, if you only have the iPhone, then I would contact the app developers first, get them to confirm it either works with a generic Bluetooth or WiFi device, and only invest with an assurance that these are compatible.

Anything you do find out though, please do share your thoughts!

Randallsfocus

thank you for the advise, like the look of the first app suggestion. Looking on ebay theres a lot of choice of OBD2 WIFI adaptors.

jeebowhite

Definitely check with the developers to be sure that its compatible, you dont want to spend all that money for it not to work correctly...

jeebowhite

Going to move this to your own thread in the CMAX section.

I will PM you a link to your request.

sjm2589

right need some info, got code p2339 (cylinder 4 above knock threshold),
will recoding injectors work, if so do u recode them in order of
injectors or firing order (mondeo 2.0 tdci, 03 plate)

jeebowhite

Recoding is an option, but start with something a bit easier, such as BG244. it could be as simple as an additive clearing the engine or injector ports that could reduce the knock!

I beleive that you need to recode them in order of ignition.

If BG244 doesnt work, then check the spark plugs and leads, as this can often be a cause.

I would say dont recode till you have at least tried these!

razor4559
Hi I am new to this site so hopefully I writing in the right area. I have got a ford focus lx mk2 on a 55 plate. I went into the secret menu on the dash and found out I have an error er0605 I have google the code and some people are say it is a faulty ecu anyhelp would be great
Stoney871

A P0605 error is a generic Internal Control Module ROM error.

TBH I don't put much emphasis on any codes read from the dash menu unless a noticeable fault is found.

You're best of doing a proper OBD diagnostic to check and clear any stored fault codes.

jeebowhite

Agree entirely with Stoney, the best thing to do is ignore it, there can be the odd cluster error on the firmware ROM chip, its not uncommon and often doesnt do anything or have any problems.

razor4559
Hi there thanks for the advice do I have to take it to ford to have this done or any local garage and how much dose it costs. Not to clued up on cars this is my first car so thanks for your help
razor4559
Also I read that if I disconnect the battery for 30 it will reset the ecu is this a good idea and could it cause any further problems.

Full Colour Version: Got An Error On Your Car?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.