Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting Plastic Bits
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
b1g_dav3

Hey folks, looking at painting a few bits gloss black on my car and have a question or two on how to go about it;

- How do you prepare the parts for painting?

- What's the best stuff to use? Will Halfrauds stuff do well or is there something better?

- Best techniques to use?

Currently repainting my grill vents on my Fiesta Asian Grill as they've pitted and gone funny, and I think I have it down as far as those are concerned, but not a clue on the grill itself.

Had thought of plastidip as if it goes wrong I can just remove it, but it's a matte so wouldn't benefit me at all.

Thanks.

Stoney871
Sand down and spray with plastic primer.
Sand again and then use the gloss layer, and then lacquer.
b1g_dav3

How scratched up do I need to get the plastic for the primer to adhere to well? And I'd probably not have sanded the primer down >.< perhaps best that I learned that before actually painting my vents :P

Stoney871
Fine grade wet and dry will do the job, the plastic primer will stick like the proverbial to a blanket and provide a good key for the gloss.
b1g_dav3

Do I need to sand back the paint itself before lacquering it? Got good wet and dry from metal prep for welding :P got a nice fine grit that I've used before priming.

Stoney871

It's all down to how you feel the finish has gone on.

If it feels a bit bumpy then wet sand between multiple coats but don't be tempted to whack on loads of layers if you don't need to.

b1g_dav3

Yeah, put on 2 coats of primer today, will probably rub them back tomorrow and put another coat on, then let it dry for painting on Thursday; thanks ^.^

Stoney871
Welcome. ;)

Full Colour Version: Painting Plastic Bits
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615