Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1St Oil Change?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
Avenger1978

im doing a full service this weekend like to do that when i buy a car, so which oil is best for the tdci 130? i am thinking Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A1 Ford or is their any better out there to go with this engine thanks

Maddogpro

Im interested in this too how much oil is needed is the filter a canister or a pop in  cardboard job? Is there any do,s/ dont,s do these need the crank angle sensor disconnecting i only ask as i used too on the turbo legacy 

BigD

That oil is fine.

@Maddogpro - I think it's 6 litres, and it's a cartridge filter which you need a 36mm 'special socket' for (one with the corners cut out to prevent rounding) - it's a Laser 3491 or equivalent.

Simple job, no need to touch anything other than the filler cap, dipstick, sump plug and filter.

Huddersfielder
I've always stuck to using Ford oil in my last four cars. It's not expensive and is good quality too. Quick look on eBay will find you 6 litres for about £25
stooge75

whatever you do,DONT try and remove the end without the 36mm socket. you'll end up buggering the plastic nut.I nearly ruined mines,& that was just with one slip. 5.8ltrs mine took

BigD

whatever you do,DONT try and remove the end without the 36mm socket. you'll end up buggering the plastic nut.I nearly ruined mines,& that was just with one slip. 5.8ltrs mine took

Plus, it isn't actually a nut, per se, it's a nut-shaped bit of plastic that's part of the filter casing.  If you wreck the nut, you need to replace the whole casing.

Maddogpro

Thankyou i have 36mm sockets so will give it a gentle go 

BigD

Thankyou i have 36mm sockets so will give it a gentle go 

If they aren't the ones with corner cut-outs, then for the love of sanity - don't!

The casing will be on there bloody tight (I needed an 18" breaker on mine - could not budge it with a standard ratchet), and in all seriousness you stand more than a fair chance of wrecking it without the correct tools.

Full Colour Version: 1St Oil Change?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.