Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retrofit Bluetooth Audio Not Working
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Audio & Electronics
Pages: 1, 2
philiprbrown
I have a 2010 mk2.5 focus Titanium in which i have retrofitted the Ford bluetooth unit ( version AM). The car did not have bluetooth capability out of the factory. The phone is bonded with the sony DAB headunit and can make calls but there is no audio through the speakers. Similarly no streaming audio is heard from the music player.

Having researched via Google, i am aware that there may be a wiring compatibilty issue but have not been able to find a solution.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Phil
Gaz RS

So you retrofitted a module 8M5T-19C112-AM? into the car and all the wiring was already inn place?

Behind the glove box to the left you will see a wiring loom which has a Gray foam protector around it, peel back the foam and you will see a Gray connector with some wires looping in and out of it. It may be wrapped in electrical tape which will need to be removed.

You will need to replace this with an audio patch cable  Finis 1592580  which can be bought from Ford, £9.31. It just has more wires looping,

The new patch cable routes the audio through the module so that the music can be muted when making or receiving a call,

Is your microphone working? as there is a patch cable for this as well!

philiprbrown

Gaz RS, thanks for your help and the photos - much appreciated.

The module I have is a 8M5T-19G488-AM (ebay special)  - is this a problem?

I have not managed to install the mic yet as I seem to have got the pillar mounted one instead of the unit in the courtesy light, so will have to go back to Ford to get the right one!. I will pick up the patch lead at the same time.

Do you also happen to have the Finis code for the Mic Patch as well - just in case.

Thanks again

Phil

Gaz RS

The only problem with 8M5T-19G488-AM is that the module does not support usb or A2DP streaming.  

The mic patch cable, finis 1592586  is £12.67 and is located just below where the audio  one is, below the Gray foam. There is nothing plugged into it so it's just a case of plugging the patch cable ln.

[url=http://s16.photobucket.com/user/st225/media/DSCF1232.jpg.html]DSCF1232.jpg[/URL]

philiprbrown

Thanks Garry

Jojofish99
Hi Garry, I'm new to this club and this is my first post and I've got a 2010 Focus Titanium Estate which is prewired for BT/VC I'm in exactly the same position as Phil and after a ridiculous amount of research prior to fitting the necessary kit I was completely unaware of the necessity for audio and mic patch cables... so thanks! I've found the audio plug and its exactly as pictured. However, for the life of me I cant find an empty plug anywhere under the audio plug or indeed anywhere behind the glovebox! Am I looking in the wrong place? Any Help would be appreciated Joe
Gaz RS

Hi Joe, maybe this other pic will help, it shows the connector just further down the loom from the audio connector it has 4 black and 4 red/ white wires going into it. Which head unit do you have?

My focus is a 59 plate, I've read that at some point in 2010 ford changed the wiring!

Jojofish99

Cheers for the response.I've got a single  DAB Sony. I haven't connected the mic yet so I'll give that a try without the audio working, perhaps the mic patch plug is not needed on this model? I read somewhere Ford changed the loom layout too but not what they did with it. I'll let you know what happens.

Joe

Jojofish99

Ok, Mic works so I guess the plug isn't an issue on this loom? May be something to bear in mind for future retrofitters? I'll get the audio plug next week and then see how it goes. Thanks for the help anyway Garry.

Gaz RS

That's good to know Joe, keep us informed on how you get on.

philiprbrown
I picked up my patch leads today and will be having a look at this in the morning. I will let you kow what i find.
philiprbrown

By way of an update I fitted the microphone, and the audio patch lead and the system works fine now.

Like Jo, I couldn't find the 'empty' connector for the microphone patch lead but seems this is not needed. Mine is a 2010 Focus with a build date of 22/1/2010.

Thanks for your help Gaz

Gaz RS

By way of an update I fitted the microphone, and the audio patch lead and the system works fine now.

Like Jo, I couldn't find the 'empty' connector for the microphone patch lead but seems this is not needed. Mine is a 2010 Focus with a build date of 22/1/2010.

Thanks for your help Gaz

Nice one Phil, have you got the voice control working as well?

philiprbrown

no not yet, I need to get the SRM activated. Next job on the list!

Phil

Gaz RS

It's quite easy to do with a modified ELM cable and ELMConfig, let me know if you need any help. You'll need the stalk with voice button.

philiprbrown

Thanks I ordered the cable over the weekend and have downloaded ELMConfig ready.  I have already changed the stalk so that done. Hopefully the cable mod and the re-programme are jobs for the weekend.

Thanks for the offer of further help.

Gaz RS

No probs Phil :)

Gaz RS

From memory this is the procedure to enable your voice control, I'm using the latest ELMConfig

Jojofish99

Hi Guys,

Where is the best  place to get the lead from and does it need modifying (i.e. with a switch)?

Gaz RS

There's quite a long thread,

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/

Putty is no longer needed, there's an option to program the cable in ELMConfig

Best place for the cable is ebay and can be bought for less than a
tenner, this is the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-ELM327-OBDII-v1-5-CAN-BUS-USB-Code-Reader-Diagnostic-Fault-codes-Scan-Tool-/290871170818?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item43b945d702

The cable will work on the HS-CAN without modification but to
change settings on the SRM which is on the MS-CAN you will need to
modify the wiring inside and add a a switch so that you can move between
the two

There's a link to the switch in the first few posts but here it is anyways

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160697063015?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Or a pre wired one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-wired-DPDT-ON-OFF-ON-Toggle-switch-miniature-/281116694531?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4173dc5803

Jojofish99

Thanks Gaz,

The bits are  on the way I'll keep you informed

Jojofish99

Hi Gaz,

Ok, I've updated using the ELM 327 and all seems ok but I'm not getting any audio in the car. outgoing is fine but its almost as if the speakers aren't connected? radio cuts off the speedo head is showing stuff....strange??

Any help would be appreciated

Joe

Jojofish99

Hi Gaz,

I've played a little more today with it today. it seems to be the ELM config wont allow me to reconfigure the SRM. It keeps coming up with an ELM  error. I did have the Speech recog working at one point (even though badly) however, it wont now and i still have and have never had any audio.

Not sure what to try now?

Cheers

Gaz RS

Hi Joe, what version of elmconfig are you using?

Jojofish99

Gaz, I originally used the disc that came with it then realised I should use the one you posted earlier in the thread. Do u think I need to reconfigure the lead/ELM?

Gaz RS

Joe, you never said what the model number on your bluetooth unit was?

Jojofish99

Its a 8M5T-19G488 Gaz

Gaz RS

Joe, please download this and read the read me, it mat be that you need to install dll and drivers. It also contains an earlier version of elmconfig

Jojofish99

OK cheers mate, I'll have a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

philiprbrown

Gaz/Joe

I modded my cable on Friday and tried but experienced the same problem as Joe (wouldn't write to the SRM).

I wanted to rule out any 'wiring' problems before raising an issue which I did last night (there were none that I could see). However on seeing the latest posts I have this morning followed the instructions on the  download and it I have now updated the SRM successfully.

Couple of points though,

-   I am using a 64 bit o/s and copied the files directly to the directory in the READ ME file. However one of the files would not copy or move (msbvm60.dll). This now appears not to be a problem for the SRM activation.

-   There was no BT/VC Low option in the SRM config menu. I chose Bluetooth & USB. This also appears not to be a problem.

-   Make sure voice control is ticked in the HEC Configuration Page 1 tab.

When tested the SRM appeared to be working fine albeit  you follow these tips at your own risk as I now have another more serious problem that I wonder if Gaz can help with.

When in the HEC module, I was able to read configuration page 1 & 2 fine. I tried page 3 and it gave some warning dialogues which I saw when playing with the software on Friday that did not cause any problem and allowed me to read the settings. However today when I progressed through the warnings I have now lost all HEC function on the dashboard and the software will not communicate (states no data). Other modules can still be read fine so presuming this is not a wiring issue. I have restarted the software on the PC but no joy.

Any help would be appreciated in my panicked state!

Phil

philiprbrown

Ok, Having done a bit of panicky research across the forums, the suggestion was to disconnect the battery for 15 mins and hope for a reset - which I duly did.

This appears to have cured the issue with the HEC as all appears to be functioning correctly. The SRM module also still works so feeling like a very lucky boy at the moment.

In light of my antics this morning my best advice would be to STAY AWAY FROM HEC CONFIGURATION PAGE 3 unless you know what you are doing.

Thanks all for your help

Phil

Jojofish99

Hi Gaz,

Well done to Phil, Unfortunately i'm still struggling. I did what you advised, I've got outgoing and incoming calls but still no in car audio. Mic works fine and the voice button shows "voice" on the radio but without any vocal feedback i'm not sure whats going on with the SRM. Please see the attached, i'm getting this whenever I try to write current config  to the HEC. Not sure what it means as the info seems to be there? Ive checked the wiring as far as I can see could it be as simple as a plug missing somewhere?

Cheers. Joe.

philiprbrown

Joe

I presume you have the audio patch lead suggested by Gaz in post #2 of this thread?

Having looked at your screenshot, i dont recognise the user interface for the version of the software you are using. Have you used the link provided by Gaz in post #28 as this is the one that I used and which worked.

Cheers

Phil

Jojofish99

Hi Phil,

Yes ive done the patch lead and tried the suggested version neither works? Joe

Gaz RS

Hi Phil/ Joe, sorry I haven't been on here the past couple of days I was at the RS show at Croft on Sunday and got called out to work today :(

I'm sorry you had a few problems, I did know about the the HEC problem but didn't expect you to go into that as I never had to. I only needed to look at the SRM. This may have been sorted in the latest version I'm not sure!

I'm pleased to read that you managed to sort everything out, just remember that if you intend to alter anything else PLEASE BACK UP USING THE SAVE CONFIGURATION FUNCTION

If you want to keep up to date with this software use google translate to read the Russian thread http://ffclub.ru/topic/302511/#comments

Joe, the picture suggests your using the wrong software,  as I said above I never had to alter anything on the HEC.

When you open elmconfig 0.2.5 which is in the download on post #28 did you go into ELM Setup and press Setup ELM327 for MS-CAN bus?

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5928]

When you say you have no audio does this mean no music or just voice and phone audio?
Jojofish99

Hi Gaz,

I used the incorrect software first and then changed to the ST software when it wouldn't work. I did use the ELM Setup and press Setup ELM327 for MS-CAN bus.The music is fine and cuts out for "calls" just no audio on the voice/ phone.

Cheers

Gaz RS

Joe, I think it could only be that the settings need to be changed , if you try again using version 0.2.5 of elmconfig, change the settings in SRM to the same as in the picture and see if that works.

philiprbrown
When i set up my SRM, i wasnt given the option highlighted above. I instead chose 'Bluetooth & USB' i have used this several times today with no problems.

Gaz, thanks. The HEC thing was my fault as i got curious.

Phil
Jojofish99

Hi Gaz

Tried that and every other config too. Beginning to wonder if its a dodgy SRM now? Checked the wiring again today and no joy there. Joe.

Gaz RS

You may be right Joe, one more thing to try.

In SRM press on Procedures and then on Reset Module then check the other setting in Configuration, after that I wouldn't know what to suggest :(

Gaz RS

When i set up my SRM, i wasnt given the option highlighted above. I instead chose 'Bluetooth & USB' i have used this several times today with no problems.

Gaz, thanks. The HEC thing was my fault as i got curious.

Phil

Phil I've looked at the setting in a few versions of elmconfig and non have just " Bluetooth & USB " can you confirm what version you used and the exact setting, you can have a look using offline function. This might help Joe.

philiprbrown

Gaz, Sorry you are correct  in your above screenshot, this is what I used. Not quite sure where I saw the option I described although in my defence Sunday morning was a bit of a panic when it all looked to be going wrong!!

Definitely version 0.2.5 as well

Cheers

Phil

Jojofish99

Hi Gaz/Phil,

Unfortunately no joy it looks like a new SRM . Ordered it today should be here by Friday. Watch this space. "I'll be back" Joe.

Jojofish99

Hi Phil/Gaz,

Sorry for not getting back sooner I've been away for a couple of weeks.

I've found the problem! One of the cables on  the small white plug on the back of the Head unit was just out of the plug. probably shifted it when I slid the unit out early doors :iim:. May be of use to someone if it happens again somewhere? I've got to sus out how the voice commands work now! Thanks again for your help and patience with this. Joe

philiprbrown

joe,

Great news. Enjoy

Phil

Gaz RS

Hi Phil/Gaz,

Sorry for not getting back sooner I've been away for a couple of weeks.

I've found the problem! One of the cables on  the small white plug on the back of the Head unit was just out of the plug. probably shifted it when I slid the unit out early doors :iim:. May be of use to someone if it happens again somewhere? I've got to sus out how the voice commands work now! Thanks again for your help and patience with this. Joe

Thought you'd given up on it Joe, pleased you got there in the end though :)

This will help you with voice  commands

Jojofish99

I said "I'll be back". I wasn't giving up easily!!

Thanks for the instructions

Joe

philiprbrown

I have managed to acquire a 19C112 unit to replace my 19g488, have just installed it and all is working fine including the audio streaming.

Only one issue now is the link cable from the old 488 unit  usb to the glovebox USB socket is not compatible with the new 112 unit which has a mini usb connector out.

Can anyone advise the correct part nr for the mini USB to glovebox USB socket to suit the 19c112 unit?

Thanks

Phil

spiceytitanium

I have just finished retrofitting bluetooth into my Titanium 09 Plate i had to use the patch loom as i had no cable after looking for it, everything communicates fine, except i hear no audio during play back, i have searched for the areas of which the mic and audio patches could go as shown on other topics on here, does anyone have any ideas as i'm now stumped and a little annoyed. I do have my aux cable which was connected in glove box still attached to the stereo loom could this be affecting it?

spiceytitanium

Thanks for your help Gaz

Phil

I am having problems locating where the Audio patch lead goes, could you please let me know where yours was. Mine is 2009 Focus with a build date of 25/06/09. Thanks 

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615