Hi all,

My recently-purchased Mondeo Zetec 1.8tdci seems to be dripping from the engine tray, on the right-hand side. Having recently had to top up the power steering fluid level, I suspected that it might be the problem. Well, it actually seems to be oil dripping from the side of the sump! By the looks of it, someone has used some sealant around the sump. A quick look on the internet indicates that sealant is indeed what needs to be used. Is that correct? I'm also assuming that it is an easy job to tackle myself (though access might be limited as only using ramps), but I'm wondering what sort of torque all the bolts need to be tightened to?

I am also concerned by a low level of coolant: that +low oil = 'head gasket' alarm bells!! However, there is no loss of power or no sign of excessive smoke, whatever the colour. On the other hand, I have noticed that the coolant flexi from the reservoir is connected straight onto a metal pipe, with no visible clip or anything, and there seems to be signs of moisture on the metal pipe. For peace of mind, I'll put a jubilee clip on there, but I'm wondering if that's the way it's intended to be...

Thanks for your time (and replies), much appreciated,

Boosh