Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lenny Purchase A New Whip? Or Get Serious!!
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Lenny
Hi all,
Well back in 2010 I was caught in a divide between purchasing a ford focus or a Toyota Corolla Levin BZR,
I joined foc and AE111 forum,
As you can see I bought the focus,

I now have space in the drive way for another car,
My focus is in the final stages of completion and my hands are becoming idle,
I still love the Toyota Levin,
And its quite an unusual setup inside which makes it fun to work on,
They finished making them in 2000 so I'd be purchasing from 1997-2000
They are a Japanese import never actually sold in Europe from dealers
The engine is a 20 valve twin can 1.6 petrol with velocity stacks as standard.
There are two models of engine BZG and BZR both engines are 1.6N/A petrol
The BZR is a 6 speed fwd with 187bhp as standard.
Their are two models Trueno and Levin
Both are identical except for the front bumper and both released at the same time, in Japanese Trueno means thunder and Levin means lightening

They were released in 5 colours
Electric blue
Charcoal grey
White
Black
Dark green,

Both models are 2 door coupé but due to their full name "Toyota corolla Levin" some insurance company's view it as a corolla which leaves the insurance cheap.

I've not saved the money up yet,
But id like a blue one I've saw this one
http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-levin/5589541

The focus would then be driven daily by Vicki and the Levin would be my car for work,

But what do you guys reckon,
Should I purchase a Levin
Or
Should I get serious and purchase something more erm domestically pleasant.

If I purchased the blue Levin I'd lower it and fit a set of white 17" volk rays TE37's aswell as a 3" cat back exhaust.
images_zps10a8c4fa.jpg

But what do you guys think?

I'm 28
Father of two
Should I purchase something more common and subtle?
Am I too old?
jeebowhite

I think you need to be asking Vicki not us, dont want to get in trouble for offering you the wrong advice ;)

I think as long as you dont turn your back on the Focus, why shouldnt you have a toy! you may be a father of two, but if you have the money to do it, and Vicki supports you, then why not have a project car? and when it gets worth a few bob, if you ever needed a few quid, you have a pot sat on the driveway by selling one thing or the other!

It sounds like a good car mate, and it sounds like you would enjoy it!

I just look at the mileage though, and think you could be buying into a rather expensive problem, its not overly old, but its not a spring chicken either, so you would have to consider, what if the engine goes bang, are there enough parts that you could replace it?

Edit: what would you consider outside of this car though? if you were to get something more appropriate for the family as a second motor?

Lenny

I think you need to be asking Vicki not us, dont want to get in trouble for offering you the wrong advice ;)

I just look at the mileage though, and think you could be buying into a rather expensive problem, its not overly old, but its not a spring chicken either, so you would have to consider, what if the engine goes bang, are there enough parts that you could replace it?

Edit: what would you consider outside of this car though? if you were to get something more appropriate for the family as a second motor?

I have a mate that would do the timing belt and water pump for under 500 euro
So the only thing would be the gear box and clutch,

Parts would be from japan only mate,
Unless the European corolla shares the same part,

And what other car ?

Well something old school easy to work with and perhaps tune.
I'd consider a 4 door Volkswagen bora 1991 turbo diesel
Slam it on coilovers with some deep dish alloys :)
Sand down the bonnet and pour some beer on it to get a rusty rat look

But if I was to get serious,
Then it would be a 2000 vw polo or Citroen C2
georgen

FFS 28 and too old, Lenny if you have a itch you have to scratch it, otherwise it will be they forever and believe me eventually you will give in and scratch that itch, personally i find it Fug Ugly but its not mine and with a few mods should look sweet. :P

This was my itch last year 1.4 8v polo 6n2 and damaged, ended up the only 6 speed lupo Gti powered 6n2 we could find home or abroad, only sold it as the tuning options were limited when I wanted to either turbo it or super charge it.

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/polo%206n2/001.jpg.html]001.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/polo%206n2/002-1.jpg.html]002-1.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/polo%206n2/006-2.jpg.html]006-2.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/polo%206n2/011-3.jpg.html]011-3.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/polo%206n2/020.jpg.html]020.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/polo%206n2/022.jpg.html]022.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/polo%206n2/013-3.jpg.html]013-3.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/polo%206n2/012-5.jpg.html]012-5.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/polo%206n2/024-3.jpg.html]024-3.jpg[/URL]

So my advice is DO IT

Lenny

FFS 28 and too old, Lenny if you have a scratch you have to itch it, otherwise it will be they forever and believe me eventually you will give in and scratch that itch, personally i find it Fug Ugly but its not mine and with a few mods should look sweet. :P 

This was my itch last year 1.4 8v polo 6n2 and damaged, ended up the only 6 speed lupo Gti powered 6n2 we could find home or abroad, only sold it as the tuning options were limited when I wanted to either turbo it or super charge it.
So my advice is DO IT

That's one sweet polo mate,
I like how you facelift it and looks proper sleeper, best of kit on the inside of it
Regarding the levin it does sit quite high but bomex make a body kit for it with flared skirts and lips to make it look like a drift car,
But for the cost o wouldn't import the kit,
I'd sooner buy one with it fitted,
My budget would be 2-3000 euro then park in in the drive way until I get tax insurance etc.
Lowering, exhaust and alloys is all I'd really do to it on appearance.

What put me thinking was
It will cost me 2500 to bring the focus to stage 2
Turbo, intercooler upgrade and remap to get it around 140 bhp and perhaps unreliable

As it is now its reliable
And we need a reliable car in the family,

So I then thought of buying a project with that money instead,
Give Vicki the focus and mess around with a low cost car, if it packs up
Call Vicki to collect me
No biggie
georgen

That's one sweet polo mate,
I like how you facelift it and looks proper sleeper, best of kit on the inside of it
Regarding the levin it does sit quite high but bomex make a body kit for it with flared skirts and lips to make it look like a drift car,
But for the cost o wouldn't import the kit,
I'd sooner buy one with it fitted,
My budget would be 2-3000 euro then park in in the drive way until I get tax insurance etc.
Lowering, exhaust and alloys is all I'd really do to it on appearance.

What put me thinking was
It will cost me 2500 to bring the focus to stage 2
Turbo, intercooler upgrade and remap to get it around 140 bhp and perhaps unreliable

As it is now its reliable
And we need a reliable car in the family,

So I then thought of buying a project with that money instead,
Give Vicki the focus and mess around with a low cost car, if it packs up
Call Vicki to collect me
No biggie

Sounds like a plan to me  ;)

and on the plus side Vicki would be cursing you and sticking the V's up whilst tearing off down the road away from you so bonus  :P

The polo is a 6n2 so its the right front in but with GTi grills, the interior is out of a 6n polo with the rear seats stripped and rebuilt onto the 6n2 backs, that thing suprised a lot of cars including my mates Golf R32 and another mates Bmw 330D Lol, it was a little fly buzzing around you and you couldn't get away.

VickiW
Eh yeah lenny go do it but levin is uglier than your sister ....my dream wud be old golf 1990..square box one dunno proper name.. nearly vintage insurance too...but honey I also have a itch a really big one ......I want a son...so while you go research ur bit I'll be out doing my own into men that can produce boy sperm and I tink mine mite be tad more fun babes ppmsl
Lenny

Eh yeah lenny go do it but levin is uglier than your sister ....my dream wud be old golf 1990..square box one dunno proper name.. nearly vintage insurance too...but honey I also have a itch a really big one ......I want a son...so while you go research ur bit I'll be out doing my own into men that can produce boy sperm and I tink mine mite be tad more fun babes ppmsl

I did look at mk1 golf gti but there fetching 8000 euro princess,y
I'm surprised you agree with my decision on another motor, but I won't be consenting to scratching your itch lol
I've given you two pretty girls and the house is now full,
So ensure you find a fella with a spare bedroom for the love child ;)
georgen

Like this Vicki, sold it a few month back

[URL=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/mk1%20golf/085_zps1fa2449b.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/mk1%20golf/086_zpsb034296c.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s400.photobucket.com/user/georgengwen/media/mk1%20golf/IMG_0850_zps99109574.jpg.html][/URL]

VickiW

Like this Vicki, sold it a few month back

Thank you george ....il name my son after ye lol yep that's the one ...mint car

See leo see....
georgen

Its called a Mk1 golf Vicki, so now you know what it is go and find one  :)

Lenny

Its called a Mk1 golf Vicki, so now you know what it is go and find one  :)

+1 Vicki go forth and multiply
Lenny
Hi all,
Well back in 2010 I was caught in a divide between purchasing a ford focus or a Toyota Corolla Levin BZR,
I joined foc and AE111 forum,
As you can see I bought the focus,
I now have space in the drive way for another car,
My focus is in the final stages of completion and my hands are becoming idle,
I still love the Toyota Levin,
And its quite an unusual setup inside which makes it fun to work on,
They finished making them in 2000 so I'd be purchasing from 1997-2000
They are a Japanese import never actually sold in Europe from dealers
The engine is a 20 valve twin can 1.6 petrol with velocity stacks as standard.
There are two models of engine BZG and BZR both engines are 1.6N/A petrol
The BZR is a 6 speed fwd with 187bhp as standard.
Their are two models Trueno and Levin
Both are identical except for the front bumper and both released at the same time, in Japanese Trueno means thunder and Levin means lightening
They were released in 5 colours
Electric blue
Charcoal grey
White
Black
Dark green,
Both models are 2 door coupé but due to their full name "Toyota corolla Levin" some insurance company's view it as a corolla which leaves the insurance cheap.
I've not saved the money up yet,
But id like a blue one I've saw this one http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-levin/5589541
The focus would then be driven daily by Vicki and the Levin would be my car for work,
But what do you guys reckon,
Should I purchase a Levin
Or
Should I get serious and purchase something more erm domestically pleasant.
If I purchased the blue Levin I'd lower it and fit a set of white 17" volk rays TE37's aswell as a 3" cat back exhaust.
But what do you guys think?
I'm 28
Father of two
Should I purchase something more common and subtle?
Am I too old?
Philf1

Lenny

Once had an old MGBGT as a weekend/hobby car and loved it, but be prepared for them being a money pit although as yours is Japanese it might be a bit more reliable than an old British car. You're never too old by the way and a man needs an interest doesn't he?

FOCA

Yep - never too old -

Whatever car you buy will cost you money to buy, maintain and run (even a Micra or Co**a) - better to get the car you really want - its worth spending momey on that - you only live once

And when (oops i mean if) it breaks down you can always borrow the Focus back :lol:   

mixmasterlooney

Lenny, if you're willing to travel you can pick up a MK1 golf for 4 grand mint condition. Now that is a serious project with mad potential, parts are easy to get and lots of aftermarket stuff out there for the mk1 golf and the polo, either one of those look crazy disgusting sick when slammed.

I see two different side in your post, seems your after power yet something easy to tune work on. I can't speak for the toyota and although it would be damn cool i think you'd get bored of it and sell it.

Couple times in the last few months i almost bought myself a MK1 golf... they are just beautiful machines inside and out easy to work on so easy, even the really old ones don't even rust. I say go for it mate.

The polo is a nice ride and with you coming from a focus the polo will feel like a box room lol, don't go for that, golf, toyota or bora either way it's a win.

With my previous experience from the VAG family a dub has endless potential.

Lucky your vicky allows you another car! i've been under strict rules not allowed an MK1

georgen

I sold my mk1 for £400, was a good solid one too and ran. also sold the 1.8 turbo 20v engine ,box, full harness and a Mapped ecu that would of made 245 bhp  for £300. so for £700 would of had a 245bhp rocket project, now that would take some catching, the blue 3 door one in the pics is my mates,needs interior has had structural welding done its a 1.3 needs a radiator too but I could get it for £700 ;)  

VickiW
Mk1 is deffo winning thank you kurt and george ...I've had enough ugly cars had to take his starlet to work and used to park it around the corner or get into work early so nobody seen me drive it
georgen

Mk1 is deffo winning thank you kurt and george ...I've had enough ugly cars had to take his starlet to work and used to park it around the corner or get into work early so nobody seen me drive it

PMSL

mixmasterlooney

Ohhh lennyyy, it's calling you

Lenny

Ohhh lennyyy, it's calling you

3855317959_a14ea6f6b2.jpg

So is this one mate lol

img_0016_zps9fad9e08.jpg
Lenny

Lenny, if you're willing to travel you can pick up a MK1 golf for 4 grand mint condition. Now that is a serious project with mad potential, parts are easy to get and lots of aftermarket stuff out there for the mk1 golf and the polo, either one of those look crazy disgusting sick when slammed.

I see two different side in your post, seems your after power yet something easy to tune work on. I can't speak for the toyota and although it would be damn cool i think you'd get bored of it and sell it.

Couple times in the last few months i almost bought myself a MK1 golf... they are just beautiful machines inside and out easy to work on so easy, even the really old ones don't even rust. I say go for it mate.

The polo is a nice ride and with you coming from a focus the polo will feel like a box room lol, don't go for that, golf, toyota or bora either way it's a win.

With my previous experience from the VAG family a dub has endless potential.

Lucky your vicky allows you another car! i've been under strict rules not allowed an MK1

4 grand sterling mate,
That's close to 5000euro then import tax and registration in ireland,
Blows my budget and the range of mods would be too much temptation,
I'd prefer the 1.6bzr
Forgive me but its around 14" lower roof height than the golf,
And the handling would be improved due to the lower centre gravity,
Hugging the bends and hearing the bore of the twin-cam engine on exiting the bends is what its all about for me mate,
Coast in to the corner and flat out on exit,
I'm starting to save now and all going well I'll have a bzr black top engine in December
georgen

Nice but watch this  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwGZ3KglNRc

Preee

Hey Lenny that Levin sounds sweet

VickiW
I hate levins.com
Subaru...civic...levin ....scumbag cream cracker cars full stop ull be done by garda for drug dealing pulling into petrol station in day timenever mind at night.
Lenny

Hey Lenny that Levin sounds sweet

:) thanks Paul its the sound from the legendary 4A-AGE black top 20 valve twin cam engine
First built in the mid 80's
I won't be fitting a stereo lol
Just me, the engine , a 3" straight pipe for exhaust and a bendy road
As you already know, I don't name my cars
But I'd call the Levin "snaglepuss" because its such a reaspy, fiesty little pussy wagon lmao
Pa thong, pa thong
VickiW
^^^ pussy-less would suit it better
b4zz

if it was me lenny the mk1 golf would win hands down due to the easy mantanince and as said there are plenty of after market up grades out there for them.

but at the end of the day fella its up to you and as said as long as vicki  supports you then its happy days and im sure she will injoy cruzing around in the focus

Lenny

if it was me lenny the mk1 golf would win hands down due to the easy mantanince and as said there are plenty of after market up grades out there for them.
but at the end of the day fella its up to you and as said as long as vicki  supports you then its happy days and im sure she will injoy cruzing around in the focus

Thanks Barry,
I agree with you all the golf is a fantastic car and we could all share the interest and see the purpose in preserving,
But the fear of the golf being stolen would be high and the endless catalogue of parts available would lead me astray.
Forr me the Toyota twin-cam engine is such a beautiful sound, and a sound that brings me back to my childhood days 10 years old when my older brother first sat me in the passenger seat of his Toyota and showed how fun cars can be aswell as watching him fit various modifications which has led to my obcession and the focus looking how it does,

Its not the look of the car that appeals to me, its the 180bhp engine inside.
The Levin as standard doesn't look much but I've found a good example of what can be achieved here:
http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-levin-bzr-black-top/5599249
Lenny
I've just bought a full Levin BZR bucket seat interior consisting of:
Door cards
Front drivers seat
Seat rail front drivers
Passenger seat
Seat rail passengers
Rear seat
Rear seat head rests

All in excellent condition no tares for a staggering 100 euro
I have yet to purchase the car but in fear of landing a car with a torn seat
100 euro for a full replacement interior is worth every penny.
. http://imageshack.us/a/img145/4956/img0352b.jpg
georgen

well youve bought the interior so start saving for the Motor. :)

FOCA

I've just bought a full Levin BZR bucket seat interior consisting of:
Door cards
Front drivers seat
Seat rail front drivers
Passenger seat
Seat rail passengers
Rear seat
Rear seat head rests

All in excellent condition no tares for a staggering 100 euro
I have yet to purchase the car but in fear of landing a car with a torn seat
100 euro for a full replacement interior is worth every penny.
. http://imageshack.us/a/img145/4956/img0352b.jpg

You are commited now :lol:

Next - the wheels!

Philf1

Reminds me of that song where the guy builds a car from parts he nicks from the factory

Lenny

You are commited now :lol:

Next - the wheels!

Lol
No the wheels will be more expensive than the car if I follow my heart, 17" magnesium Volk TE37 in white
Think I'll settle for replicas

But its hardcore saving from now until January,
Dpf removal next week and that's it from Lenny until the new year.
Lenny

Reminds me of that song where the guy builds a car from parts he nicks from the factory

Johnny cash lol
I think it was a Cadillac he built.

VickiW

Muppet can't even find out what insurance costs first ... just like ur mam gets a sat nav but never leaves own county afraid of big roads....is 63yrs old living on her own with full sky package including sports and movies doesn't even watch them and best of all just got internet to down load one book a month but now tied into 18month contract ....do I hate stupid dumb mother chuffers

jeebowhite

lol, Something you feel strongly about it would seem Vicki!

marklord83
Nice looking car im thinking of getting another subaru leagact gtb estate used to have one and I really miss it can get them for around $2000 and as ststandard came with 280 bhp 0-60 5.6 secs 0-100 13secs in standard spec, it was a beast with the mods I made finished up with 400 bhp but had to sell eventually, even tho it was on 100k it drove like new and put my mates porsche 911 to shame on quarter mile, now I have a garage im tempted to get one but insurance is stupid used only cos me 400 now when I check its more like 1000 :(
Lenny

Muppet can't even find out what insurance costs first ... just like ur mam gets a sat nav but never leaves own county afraid of big roads....is 63yrs old living on her own with full sky package including sports and movies doesn't even watch them and best of all just got internet to down load one book a month but now tied into 18month contract ....do I hate stupid dumb mother chuffers

Leave me poor mother alone,
I phoned AA insurance who commented kindly on my focus due to my declaration of all mods appearing on there system,
But sadly they couldn't quote me on a Japanese imported car.
But they advised me to keep my 3 years no claims on the focus and start a new policy just for the Levin,

So I done that,
And eh
Got a quote for full licences driver on a 1999 Levin bzr,
No no claims bonus just starting from scratch, no mods declared and it was 3,897.22 :)
So I tried it again with 3yrs no claims bonus and it was 872.00 ;)

So the plan is Vicki,
Your going to be the new owner and policy holder on the focus zetecS with your 5yrs no claims, and all your mods declared ya milf racer ;) 18" rims, st pod, lowered suspension, tinted windows, body kit, duplex exhaust lmao you will show me up at the traffic lights
Only down side is I'll have to sign the ownership over to you :( poor focus

And I'll be a named driver on your policy in the whip.

Then I'll have my 3yrs no claims to put on my own policy on the Levin resulting in my insurance being 872.00 third party.
Possibly cheaper again if I put you as a named driver.

Now do the Harlem Shake!!! sFun_crazydance.gif
VickiW

So the plan is Vicki,
Your going to be the new owner and policy holder on the focus zetecS with your 5yrs no claims, and all your mods declared ya milf racer ;) 18" rims, st pod, lowered suspension, tinted windows, body kit, duplex exhaust lmao you will show me up at the traffic lights
Only down side is I'll have to sign the ownership over to you :( my poor focus
And I'll be a named driver on your policy in the whip.
Then I'll have my 3yrs no claims to put on my own policy on the Levin resulting in my insurance being 872.00 third party.
Possibly cheaper again if I put you as a named driver.
Now do the Harlem Shake!!!

I've 7years no claim bonus Spa...a pink thong will look good on steering wheel
VickiW

lol, Something you feel strongly about it would seem Vicki!

Motherfucker ain't a bad word james its someone that fucks your mother meaning ur father or stepfather or neighbour or milkman or postman or electrician ...electricians have highest percent of fucking there customers ..any electricians here????
Stoney871
How about 'powered by fairy dust' stickers in the back window?

:p
Lenny

Noooooooooo!!!!
No hello kitty shitty neither
Stoney871
Vicki's car now mate, her wheels = her choice.

Soz.
VickiW

Ah clive tats tacky ....been on ebay I'm getting wea bags of glitter just on tips of exhaust and will leave a trail behind me
Lenny

Vicki's car now mate, her wheels = her choice.
Soz.

Ah yes but only on paper work for insurance purposes ( palpitations starting) :o
VickiW
Possenion (spelt incorrectly apologise james) is nine tenths of the law ain't that right clive
Stoney871
Very true.
If your name is on the owners chit by law it's yours.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615