Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter Tyres
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
The Dark Knight
I have got a full set of these tyres in storage and will probably fit them in October: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/60712/continental-contiwintercontact-ts-850

As per this video, they come into play at +7C or below so not just for snow: http://youtu.be/elP_34ltdWI

After having to get rid of my Freelander 2 (that had winter tyres too) due to cutbacks, I know I will miss 4WD if/when it does snow so I decided that winter tyres would be a good choice.

What are your thoughts?
b1g_dav3

Meh, trouble is with the cost of them it's just not an option to be changing them if honest. If I had the money then sure thing, although I had no problem's last year.

hubby1959

I bought mine during the summer when they're a little cheaper, and fitted them to the spare steel wheels I had knocking about, also purchased the nuts to suit as well, still got to have them balanced, but all being well shouldn't be sliding into kerbs this year and dinging my alloys

FOCA

Meh, trouble is with the cost of them it's just not an option to be changing them if honest. If I had the money then sure thing, although I had no problem's last year.

I stripped the AC out of my car so for the 2 months or so of hot summer we get here i roast (for the other 10 months im not dragging the weight of it around) - i can live with that

However i consider the snow/ winter tyres essential (for me)- they can save ££££s on your insurance exess, damaged rims, suspension and bodywork - you can pick up a set of steel wheels cheap and as H, has suggested, buy the winter tyres in the summer, winter tyres are manditory in some parts of Europe

Can you afford NOT to get them?    

stevegtuk

I have a set on spare rims. Ive used them the last two winters, just waiting for winter to come round again.

Alot of people say they cant afford to buy a second set of tyres, just for use in winter.

The thing is, while you are using the winter tyres, the summer ones are in storage so not being used. That way both sets will last just as long (if not longer, considering how much tread will be lost in winter when wheel spinning on summer tyres) as buying one set of tyres wearing them out over time then buying the next set.

On top of the fact that there will be less chance of having an accident in winter if you have winter tyres on, so less chance of more money being spent on repairs, its makes sense to have some.

Diesel Fusion

I can really recommend saving up to get a set of winter tyres as they really do make a difference.

I have a spare set on old steel rims both for the car and a set for my minubus and usually fit them towards mid October and remove them at the end of March.

As mentioned, the best time to look for a cheap set is during the summer because the price shoots up in winter when people need them.

The Dark Knight

Winter tyres would have been better out on the roads just now! Ok it was showing 10C but I bet the wet roads surface temp was lower than 7C. A good autumn storm out there!

stevegtuk

There is mention on some sites. If you only had a choice of one set of tyres (summer or winter), due to the average uk weather and temperatures, it would be better to have winter tyres.

The idea is, the winter tyres make less of a compromise in the summer than the summer tyres do in the winter and colder weather.

one example here of tyre performance with different types

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Summer-VS-Winter-tyres-Warm-weather-performance.htm

Diesel Fusion

My father has a set of Good Year Ultra Grip winter tyres on his van and they stay on all year round.

He does not do high amounts of mileage so they seem to last for many years.

FOCA

There is mention on some sites. If you only had a choice of one set of tyres (summer or winter), due to the average uk weather and temperatures, it would be better to have winter tyres.

The idea is, the winter tyres make less of a compromise in the summer than the summer tyres do in the winter and colder weather.

one example here of tyre performance with different types

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Summer-VS-Winter-tyres-Warm-weather-performance.htm

Agreed - the winter tyres are a better compromise for all-year round - and almost any tyre is good on dry tarmac - even bald ones (eg - racing slicks) so also better to have a tyre that is better in poor or colder conditions than having amazing grip on warm dry tarmac (for most motorists)

But the extreeme winter tyres i use are noisy, not so economical and are not that good in the wet compared to most good summer tyres - and are expensive - thats why i leave the summer ones on as long as possible

Full Colour Version: Winter Tyres
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.