Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst Round-About Ever?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
DanGersFord

Surely that could be made into one big round about? Wouldn't fancy tryin to navigate that lol
Stoney871

That is the most confusing and pointless example of a road designer on too much caffeine I've ever seen.

WTF?

Totally unneccesary.

btmaldon

There used to be a similar one on the A13 at Benfleet. Thankfully they have since built a flyover there.

Turvey

Folk up here struggle with simple mini-roundabouts....."Do you give way to the left or the right?" type of thing. God knows what would happen if something like that was introduced  :)

Diesel Fusion

That very poor attempt at traffic management doesn't even look good on paper in my opinion.

Looks like a large number of accidents waiting to happen so avoid if possible.

Stoney871
I bet some square in an office somewhere won an award for that design.
DanGersFord
Its an actual roundabout in the uk I cant remember where ill need go check. Can you imagine learning to drive round there? You can practically guarantee the test instructor would take you to that on the test
DanGersFord
Swindon http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)
Turvey

This one  ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

Been there for 40 years apparently :blink:  

DanGersFord
Thats the same one ive put a link to lol
Turvey

I just get a mobile wiki page on the programme, but I'm not going to fall out over it  ;)

btmaldon
Here is the old Sadlers Farm Roundabout in Benfleet that has since been replaced by a flyover.

5 small roundabouts feeding onto 1 big roundabout with two way traffic:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2110535
Hyrule

That's pretty terrible, but I think Elephant & Castle roundabout here in London, ranks as one of the worst in the country, and possibly the world. Thankfully consultation is out to redesign the whole thing or at least make it easier to navigate.

:)

Diesel Fusion

In the area that we live most of the large roundabouts, especially those with underpasses have been replaced by traffic lights.

Most of the other large roundabouts have now been updated to have traffic signals incorporated.

Traffic progress is slower but I believe that there has been a significant reduction in the number of accidents.

Obviously people still run red lights and forcibly change lanes resulting in collisions but as mentioned the numbers have reduced considerably.

Stay safe out there.

Stoney871
There are at least three major roundabouts in Plymouth with lights on them that cause major tailbacks and jams during peak times.
They have been proven to actually work better and with less accidents when the lights are broken.
DanGersFord
The original one I post has apparently reduced the number of accidents according to my source for the picture, apparently people slow down and pay more attention because of the number of roundabouts :S cant ses how myself
jeebowhite

That is some seriously crazy shizzle!

Full Colour Version: Worst Round-About Ever?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.