Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Head Unit With Rear View Camera Problems
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Chat
k13r4n
anybody ?
higgsy
You might get a better response if you actually state what the problem is :blink:
k13r4n
When car ignition is on the rear view camera is perfect. But when the rear view camera is activated when engine is running there is lines and sometimes not even a display from the camera as per the video above
Turvey

Someone comments under the video that you have to install a relay "onto the voltage wire and colelct the 12V from fuse or somewhere the voltage is stronger with power"

​Not being electrically minded it means nothing to me though  :wacko:  :)  

FOCA

When car ignition is on the rear view camera is perfect. But when the rear view camera is activated when engine is running there is lines and sometimes not even a display from the camera as per the video above

It is possible the engine (eg - the ignition/ ht leads or alternator etc) is interfering with the signal (either air-bourn or through the cables/power supply)

On the original Golf HTI 16v, the radio ariel was relocated to the back of the roof because the engine interfered with the radio in the normal position- thus starting the trend for rear mounted arials (it was not intended as a styling or aerodynamic thing)  

If you took the (power) feed for the head unit and camera derectly from the battery, that will help with power/ cable bourne interference (you may need an extra/ additional power switch for the audio) as the battery acts as filter/ damper to power-bourn interference - you can also add filters/ suppressors

Careful shielding would help with the air-bourne (radio/ rfi) interference, (eg co-axially shielded cable for the video feed) and adding ferrite cores/ chokes to the signal wires

re-routing the earths can help too , 

there is also a possibility that the voltage changes/ raises when the engine is running (eg upto 16v) due to the smart-charge system - and the camera cannot handle this voltage - a voltage regulator could help

Alternatively you could try a different camera (it may cope with the conditions(voltage/ interference) better)     

higgsy
Excellent post there FOCA.I was going to say interference from the engine for sure
btmaldon
The power to the camera should be attached to the power to one of the reversing light bulbs and a separate earth. The canbus switches the screen to camera automatically when you select reverse I pressume.
FOCA

Excellent post there FOCA.I was going to say interference from the engine for sure

Thanks - yes, there must be a reason it works with the engine off - interference from the engine is the most likely culprit  

The power to the camera should be attached to the power to one of the reversing light bulbs and a separate earth. The canbus switches the screen to camera automatically when you select reverse I pressume.

It might be useful to have the camera working even when reverse is not selected, i am fitting a system with front/ rear cameras with manual/auto record/ playback feature o-lux IR (total darkness)  and a 24/7 security recorder with motion detector to protect the car when driving and also when it is parked   (a bit like a home security system but for the car) 

btmaldon
It looks like from the video that the camera is switching off when you turn the ignition on but the unit is still trying to show a picture. It is wired for the camera to only switch on when you select reverse gear?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.