Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coolant Temp Gauge
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
golfpaul

Hi all.

2001 2.0 tdci

The coolant temperature never passes the 1/4 mark on the gauge - where would you advise looking first?

Could it be a dodgy sensor?

jamesm182

Thermostat?

Half way seems to be the norm for the cars I have had. Welcome to the club by the way!  :)

stooge75

when your car is running ,say on motorway does it still only sit at quarter way up?

golfpaul
Hi, no never goes above about a quarter.

The heaters are hot also.

Was thinking the sender, are they prone on this model.

Could it be the thermostat.

thanks in advance
FOCA

Hi all.

2001 2.0 tdci

The coolant temperature never passes the 1/4 mark on the gauge - where would you advise looking first?

Could it be a dodgy sensor?

It could not be a dodgy sensor - the cooling system is a traditional mechanical pump with a thermostat  

there is a second (small) thermostat for the oil cooler, it comes off the waterpump casing - if it jams open it can cause serious overcooling  

there is also an electric heater in the hose to the cabin heater

these engines take a long time to warm up in cold weather,/ are overcooled  especeally with the heater on (can take a lot of heat out of the system) and if its being driven sedately  

golfpaul
When i said sender, i meant the coolant temperature sensor indicating an incorrect temperature.

what's the best way of diagnosing this issue?

cheers
FOCA

When i said sender, i meant the coolant temperature sensor indicating an incorrect temperature.

what's the best way of diagnosing this issue?

cheers

The temprature sensor reads the temprature of the head (the metal of the head) it sends this to the ECU and temp gauge, chances are it is working perfectly, and the low temp readings are from ACTUAL low temp readings,

the main thermostat controls the water temp

you could fit a water temp gauge so you would then know the water temp, seperate/ indipendant  from the one on the dash

Full Colour Version: Coolant Temp Gauge
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.